Need input into Parental Immigration Plan

Guest Alan H

Hi Everyone

It's been awhile since I have been on here and when I was on here evaluating Australia this was very helpful and I loved the community. Fast forward a couple years and I have got Permanent residence in Australia now and i'm looking to bring my parents out. I have put together a detailed plan on what I want to do and now I want to run it by the experts here to get your input. Below is the details of my situation, the plan and then questions I have.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to review this.. I really REALLY appreciate it.

Details:

• Parents have a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa that Expires Dec 15, 2014 (They used it to visit Australia from Dec 26 to Jan 14th)
  • Parents age is 60 (Sept 1953) and 62 (March 1951) (By the time we qualify for Sponsorship there is a good chance they qualify for “Aged Contributor Parents”)
  • They have one daughter in Italy and me in Australia (Meaning they meet the Balance of Family Requirements I believe)
  • We will be making enough money between my wife and I so we are confident we will be able to demonstrate we can support them

Plan:

1. Dec 26th, 2014-- Our Family landed and became permanent residents
  2. Dec 26th, 2014 -- Parents also arrived on their Multiple Entry tourist visa
  3. Oct/Nov 2014 -- Parents come to Australia on their current Multiple Entry Visa
  4. Dec 1st, 2014 -- Parents submit an application to extend their Tourist Visa for another 12 months
  5. Dec 1st, 2015 -- Parents leave the country to go back to Canada (Because I assume you can’t extend again or you can’t ask for a new tourist visa while on your old one?)
  6. Dec 16th 2015 -- Parents submit an application for Visitor Visa
  7. Dec 30th 2015 -- Visa Granted
  8. Jan 15th 2015 -- Parents come back to Australia
  9. Dec 27 2016 -- We submit a Aged Temporary or Contributory Parent visa (subclass 884) for them (Because as of December 27th, 2016 we meet the 2 year requirement and they will be 65 (Father) and 62.5 (Mother) by then)
  10. Dec 29 2016 -- We submit a Bridging visa B – BVB – (subclass 020) (This is so they can leave the country to visit their daughter, when necessary)
  11. Dec 27 2017 or 2018 -- Parents get Aged Temporary/Contributor Visa (12 – 24 months Later)

Questions:

1. Any holes in this plan ?, Anything we can do to improve this plan so we don’t have to be apart ?
  2. Can anything be done about steps 4,5 & 6 to reduce or eliminate that step (Can they request a new visitor Visa while living in Australia even though they extended their old visa)
  3. Do we really need to wait 2 years or can we do steps 8 & 9 after step 3
  4. My wife read somewhere that while you’re on a Tourist visa you can only stay in Australia for a maximum of 3 months at a time is this correct ?, I haven’t been able to find evidence on that myself but you would know.
  5. I read somewhere, where I can apply earlier than the 2 year waiting period and then appeal to the Migration Review Tribunal (MRT) and they can possibly reverse the decision. Have you or any of your colleagues had any experience with this process and what was the out come ?
  6. Does applying for Temporary Contributor Visa take the same (12-24 month) period as the non-temporary Contributor visa ?
  7. Reading through the temporary Contributor and it states “You can apply for this visa only if you are outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you can only apply if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.” I don’t see anything on their visitor visa that says they can or cannot apply for visas. What are your thoughts on a standard visitor visa and what it can and cannot do ? and what is this part about they must be outside the country when the visa is decided, how would they know when to leave the country ?
  8. Are there any negatives or positives to applying as an “Aged Parent Contributory” versus “Non Aged Parent Contributory”. Does it cost more or less ? Does it take more or less time ?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read through my plan.. We are really trying to be as through as possible.. We have already gone through a sponsorship process with bringing my Parents to Canada and with our permanent residence visas in Australia so we are definitely very familiar with government immigration processes.

Regards,

Alan.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ok, i don't have a clue about any of the parent visa stuff, sorry!

But........

My wife read somewhere that while you’re on a Tourist visa you can only stay in Australia for a maximum of 3 months at a time is this correct ?, I haven’t been able to find evidence on that myself but you would know.

That depends on the type of visitor visa you have, ie a 3 month, 6 month or 12 month.....not sure of the visa numbers without looking them up. they are all valid as far as i know for multiple entries within 12 months but vary on how long you can stay in one go. If you have a 3 month one, i think all the e-visas are this then yes you must leave the country evey 3 months, but you can apply for either a 6 or 12 month one and not have to leave for those amounts of times respectivly.

I'm afraid I've just skimmed through as my brain is not awake enough for all that info just yet.

The bridging visa part. When you apply for a substantive visa while onshore (assuming there is no no further stay condition on the previous visa) you automatically get bridging visa a which kicks in once the last visa expires. Bridging visa B is only used for when you need to leave the country. It costs money to apply for it (not sure how much off hand) and it only lasts three months. At the end of that three months, assuming you are back in the county, it automatically reverts to bridging visa A. I have heard of people being refused or having a hard time getting bridging visa B as it is 'supposed' to he for emergency situations etc. Personally I had no issues getting it, but I had been in oz for three years without leaving, one of those on bridging visa A. I just told them I was going on a holiday to meet a friend. Other people have had to show wedding invitations etc before they will issue the visa. It looks like it is mostly a case of how long you have been in the country.

If the visa has to be decided when they are outside of the country, if they do come in on a tourist visa they let immigration know, who then tell them when it is time to leave for the visa decision.

No, you can't apply before the two years and then appeal the refusal, well you can, but it won't get you anything but more time in Australia. The tribunal will agree with the original decision and that visa will still be refused. Some people use this as a last resort to get the time needed for another visa but that first one, and the mrt will always be throw away money.

Just be aware also that if someone has had lots of tourist visas and spent a lot of time here, that is when they are most likely to get the 'No further stay' condition on the tourist visa meaning they can not apply onshore and get any bridging visa.

What are your thoughts on this question ?

Are there any negatives or positives to applying as an “Aged Parent Contributory” versus “Non Aged Parent Contributory”. Does it cost more or less ? Does it take more or less time ?

I'm afraid I've just skimmed through as my brain is not awake enough for all that info just yet.

The bridging visa part. When you apply for a substantive visa while onshore (assuming there is no no further stay condition on the previous visa) you automatically get bridging visa a which kicks in once the last visa expires. Bridging visa B is only used for when you need to leave the country. It costs money to apply for it (not sure how much off hand) and it only lasts three months. At the end of that three months, assuming you are back in the county, it automatically reverts to bridging visa A. I have heard of people being refused or having a hard time getting bridging visa B as it is 'supposed' to he for emergency situations etc. Personally I had no issues getting it, but I had been in oz for three years without leaving, one of those on bridging visa A. I just told them I was going on a holiday to meet a friend. Other people have had to show wedding invitations etc before they will issue the visa. It looks like it is mostly a case of how long you have been in the country.

If the visa has to be decided when they are outside of the country, if they do come in on a tourist visa they let immigration know, who then tell them when it is time to leave for the visa decision.

No, you can't apply before the two years and then appeal the refusal, well you can, but it won't get you anything but more time in Australia. The tribunal will agree with the original decision and that visa will still be refused. Some people use this as a last resort to get the time needed for another visa but that first one, and the mrt will always be throw away money.

Just be aware also that if someone has had lots of tourist visas and spent a lot of time here, that is when they are most likely to get the 'No further stay' condition on the tourist visa meaning they can not apply onshore and get any bridging visa.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Does it cost more or less ? Does it take more or less time ?

Alan, you can find the information regarding these questions from the immi website http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx

I would definatly say your best bet is to seek advice from a registered migration agent to be able to tell you if your plan is viable, it is very involved and i'm not sure that anyone will be able to give you definate answers. :smile:

I tried looking over the immi website but unfortunately they don't produce a doc on Aged vs Non Aged pros and cons.

Thank you for your suggestion I will see what the forums have to say before I start talking to an agent..

After all this is why the forum exists to ask and answer questions of people that have had experience out the in world.

I'm sure i'm not the first one to build a plan of how to maximize the time with their parents.

Alan.

Alan, you can find the information regarding these questions from the immi website http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx

I would definatly say your best bet is to seek advice from a registered migration agent to be able to tell you if your plan is viable, it is very involved and i'm not sure that anyone will be able to give you definate answers. :smile:

What are your thoughts on this question ?

Are there any negatives or positives to applying as an “Aged Parent Contributory” versus “Non Aged Parent Contributory”. Does it cost more or less ? Does it take more or less time ?

I am not very big on the parent visas. I know they cost quite a bit of money, and take a long time. That's about it. You could try asking on our sister site http://www.pomsinoz.com

There are a lot more people on there who have been through it who could give you more guidance.

I tried looking over the immi website but unfortunately they don't produce a doc on Aged vs Non Aged pros and cons.

Thank you for your suggestion I will see what the forums have to say before I start talking to an agent..

After all this is why the forum exists to ask and answer questions of people that have had experience out the in world.

I'm sure i'm not the first one to build a plan of how to maximize the time with their parents.

Alan.

A forum such as this is great for sharing experiences, but really when it comes to something as important as this, I'd say you'd be better off asking a professional - remember, most people on a forum are ust laymen and however we interpret things, you can't really take anything as gospel unless a paid professional has advised you. I think for something as major as this, where the wrong move could scupper your chances completely, you would be better off paying a few dollars for a chat with a registered agent.

Alan.

Hi Alan H.

http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/factsheets/

Please see the factsheets at this webpage.

Best regards.

I'm not being funny here, but as someone who's not so many years off the age of your parents, I have to ask are you sure they want to follow you around the world wherever you go? I see you said you'd sponsored them to move to Canada when you did, and now you seem to be planning their move to Australia to follow you. When my kids leave home, if they go to live in a different country of course I'd love to visit them for holidays and stuff, but emigrating is more than just moving country - you leave behind your friends and social networks and have to start all over again. When I am 60, I shall be rejoicing in my independence from my kids and enjoying time doing what I want to, when I want to, and going where I want to!