190 visa, 2 years obligation - what do employers say?

oz_

Hi All,

I have went through several forums, several threads on this topic. I still didn't get a concrete answer. Anyway, my question is not about what happens if we don't follow the obligation, about citizenship, is it legal or moral etc..

People move states since they cant find job in their state and have found in a different state. So, do employers offer a job for 190 visa holders since they know

the candidate hasn't stayed in his state for 2 years? Have you come across this situation? How did you handle it with the employer?

I have my visa from victoria and have applied for 100s of jobs from past 3 months and am unable to find a job. After some research I have found that there are no companies in victoria working on the technology that matches my skills set. However, I have found few companies in sydney and with great difficulty I have found a contract job. I haven't got a chance to discuss with the employer that I have 190 visa and not 189. I dont know if I have to discuss with my prospective employer and if he'll agree or take back the offer :( I really want this job...or talk to state officials to relieve me from this obligation and will they agree?

BTW., I am ready to move back to victoria after gaining some local experience and after the contract ends in sydney.

Please suggest!!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Oz....as far as i know if you have a visa with work rights then you have work rights in australia not just in 1 state. The state thing as you have said is a moral obligation.....

i'm sure someone who knows more will be along shortly :smile:

As long as you are on a PR visa no employer is interested in the state sponsorship obligation. You're free to move. If I were you I would inform the Victorian State Government that you couldn't find a job and ask for a 'release' (collect your rejection letters just in case).

When employers log on into VEVO from DIBP with your visa no., passport no. they only see you're a legal resident with working rights. But I think most employers won't do that anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
As has been pointed out, most employers don't know the first thing about visas - all they're interested in (quite rightly) is that you have the right to live and work here. The last thing I'd do is start putting doubts in their mind by pointing out which visa you have/don't have.[/QUOT

E]

My apprehension is, what if employer refuses to offer me a job after I have quit my current job and before joining him.

Btw., I wrote to the state asking their permission and they clearly rejected my request :(

I'll have to leave the opportunity that I have got and refrain from applying for jobs outside the state :(

Guest aussiemigrant

Do not let go any opportunities. In any case please do not contact state before validation (state can cancel visa before validation legally - not after). Your vevo will mention PR once you validate the visa. Employers will not discriminate between 189 and 190, although vevo will mention this.

190 is a PR, state may not release you but will take no action on you. Even if you tell this tom employer, he will not cancel your offer.

As has been pointed out, most employers don't know the first thing about visas - all they're interested in (quite rightly) is that you have the right to live and work here. The last thing I'd do is start putting doubts in their mind by pointing out which visa you have/don't have.[/QUOT

E]

My apprehension is, what if employer refuses to offer me a job after I have quit my current job and before joining him.

Btw., I wrote to the state asking their permission and they clearly rejected my request :(

I'll have to leave the opportunity that I have got and refrain from applying for jobs outside the state :(

I'm getting a bit confused what you're asking here. You start by saying you're not asking about states holding you to a commitment but about employers. In that case, if an employer's offered you a role they are okay with your visa. Talking them through the differences of one visa over another (or bringing up the state issue) is likely to scare anyone off, so why would you do it? If you've got the right to live and work in Aus, then the employer is unlikely to want to know more than that. Employers (and anyone else) can always renege on a deal; that's life! If they do that because you've put doubts in their mind, then you've answered your own question!

Oz I was in exactly the same boat as you - started looking into my options to move to a state with better work prospects for my profession. I'm on a 190 state nominated GSM too, I went through it with an immigration official in central government they confirmed iam permitted to work in any state. The state is permitted to set visa conditions when they sponsor you state nominated visa but can only do this at the time it is granted. It appears SA are not putting conditions on people. Any conditions will be on your VEVO document.

Hi all,

I have just been reading the posts in this tread (thanks for the great info!) and I am thinking the same regarding work. We also have a SS Subclass 190 visa; myself and my partner are travelling to Adelaide at the end of March this year. Is it true that we can have a job which isn’t listed as our skilled occupation? I'm worrying that I won’t get a job in my field (I work in IT) and will just have to try different positions but this will affect my visa :/