Medicals

Guest Vicky1998

Guest Vicky1998

Just looking for some advice and opinion. We came out to oz 5 years ago to adelaide (actually back in uk visiting family at the mo) . We were chatting to our friends the other day and they told is that they are looking into state sponsorship to SA as they have visited before and loved it.i would absolutely love them to come out and Their occupations are on the list and don't think they'd have any issues getting a visa except for their medicals. To be blunt, they re both pretty overweight, she is especially. I suspect that she would prob come out in the obese/morbidly obese range. As far as I know, there are no other health problems with either and she is actually quite fit and regularly goes hiking. What I am asking is, would they pass their medicals if there is this weight issue, remember, it's not just overweight but obese+ I just dont want them to waste their money and get their hopes up if there isn't a chance of them Being accepted because of there weight. Am hoping that it won't be an issue as don't really want to have to broach the subject with them as it will be very awkward discussion to have to have but just don't think they have thought about this part of it and better to be honest with them rather than paying out agency fees etc.

any opinions would be great, especially people who have passed or failed medicals and have weight problems.

Thanks PIA

I was very overweight at our medical but passed OK as my blood pressure was within 'normal' range for my age, I did not have diabetes, I could touch my toes easily and was flexible and I did exercise regularly - gym, walking, swimming and gentle aerobics. I'm still overweight but have a healthy lifestyle - plenty of exercise, good diet (no takeaways and plenty of veggies) and drink wine in moderation.

Perhaps they could make some improvements to their lifestyle before medicals are undertaken and this would also be an incentive to pass them and begin a new life here.

I know of others classed as obese who gained their visas just fine. Yes their medicals were referred (I think the cut off is something like a BMI of 30 and over) but they were otherwise fit and well. Once the medicals had been reviewed they were passed as ok and away they went.

What they are looking at is the cost to the Aus pocket over an X year timeframe. I think it was about $35,000. So if they had a condition that would cost tens of thousands in the timeframe, no joy.

I'll see if I can find the financial numbers and post them back here.

I don't see any harm explaining to them how they work re medicals and health. If they have other health issues (because of their weight or not) it may cause more concern, for example heart problems or high BP, which would be picked up on during a medical. They may need to have further health checks to assure their health is not a liability to Australia. But being obese or overweight is not in itself an automatic failing that I am aware of.

Hi,

the best advise might be loosing weight??? I know it's easy to say, but that would be the best and savest option in order to get a visa. Discrimination against people who are extremely overweight is not allowed, and I know some 'heavy' people made the move successfully because they have the right skills and experience.

Can you speak to your friend in a sensitive way without offending her that it might be best to try to loose weight (joining weightwatchers) so she looks slimmer and feels better when it comes to the medicals.