The current state of things in Adelaide

Guest Yorkshire73

Guest Yorkshire73

My family and I have recently secured our 190 visas and I'm now trying to engineer our move over. Thing is, the employment agency I'm registered with have said that construction management jobs for migrants are hard to come by at the moment, and looking on here there seems to be quite a subdued vibe running through a lot of the threads. I'm beginning to question if I'm actually making a mistake moving us all over there. Are things really struggling over there or have I just stumbled across some negative comments? Please be honest.

Hiya

Things are hard for sure I am not gonna lie about that, but a lot of work is really luck you need to be in the right place at the right time. My husband landed a job before we got here so we were lucky, I myself have only really seriously started looking as I wanted to get the kids settled again after the xmas/summer holidays in school, im a fully qualified carer/ secretary and I am now applying for cleaning jobs and still getting no where, we have come here a second time and things were slow going even back in 2000 its just the way it works we were a lot nearer the city then too with more options available, something I feel would be better for us now, but we live down south this time. If someone had told me you would get no work here or it would take a while I am not sure that would have stopped me coming, its the lifestyle that you come for and yes its much better here (hence the reason we came back) but things are hard in the UK at the moment no different really, you need to keep pushing employers, get emails/ contacts out there before you come and be very proactive, don't let it stop you coming you need to try it at least or you may regret it , all the best

My family and I have recently secured our 190 visas and I'm now trying to engineer our move over. Thing is, the employment agency I'm registered with have said that construction management jobs for migrants are hard to come by at the moment, and looking on here there seems to be quite a subdued vibe running through a lot of the threads. I'm beginning to question if I'm actually making a mistake moving us all over there. Are things really struggling over there or have I just stumbled across some negative comments? Please be honest.

Guest Guest75

Similar thoughts to Kadina.

Adelaide has certainly become "more cautious" financially and employment wise.

You have to be in the right place at the right time.

As a recently arrived guest of ours put it last week " Australia is not for the faint hearted"

We have noticed that grocery prices have increased as well.

Right back at you Tyke with the grocery prices, geees !!!! I have to remortgage my house every time I go to the supermarket ;)

Similar thoughts to Kadina.

Adelaide has certainly become "more cautious" financially and employment wise.

You have to be in the right place at the right time.

As a recently arrived guest of ours put it last week " Australia is not for the faint hearted"

We have noticed that grocery prices have increased as well.

Guest Moon heads

Hi Yorkshire

I can only speak from our experience we have recently arrived in Adelaide and the work situation is quite grim. We were sponsored in for our skills and have previously been all over Australia travelling so Oz is not new to us at all.

i have applied for 5 jobs of which my Cv matches and all the qualifications and skills are exactly as required but don't secure an interview - I am also in Construction management similar industry to yourself with 21 years experience both in the Uk and overseas.. My Oh is a skilled engineer with 25 years experience and he also completed his equivalent Australian qualification whilst in the Uk. Since arriving there are also various licences (non technical) such as white card , asbestos awareness and various others that can not be done from the Uk but all in all if he completes all of the required Certs the total cost is $6200 and by the time he completes them due to availability on courses it will be July before he can start work and he has never been out of work in his life. Then there is no guarantee of a job.

we don't have a young family so only have ourselves to support and most of the time you need to take out a 12 month rental and they are quite expensive in comparison to the Uk and they are very rarely furnished so you do need to buy the basics as the container will probably arrive a couple of months after you.

i don't mean to be negative or put you off the move but am being honest as we are people who arrived in January we have enough money to stay here 12 months or more not working if we wanted but again we have no family and have both had good jobs for years.

we also still own property in the Uk so are able to return if we need to - I am going to give it 6 months and if I have not secured a job I will probably go back as the Uk construction and major project work is definitely on the up for at least the next 5 years and I get emails everyday with new contract jobs in the Uk in our line of work. My Oh will stay as we have a 12 month tenancy.

I was speaking to somebody the other day who has taken a job in a like spar shop just to get an income although he was a qualified trades person in the Uk. Disheartening for them.

my advice is to try and secure a job if you can before you make the move your employment agency is telling you the truth there is a lot of jobs being lost in Adelaide this year if you look on google at Holden and the ship building defence project.

hope this helps you

Guest ColinOz

I was speaking to somebody the other day who has taken a job in a like spar shop just to get an income although he was a qualified trades person in the Uk. Disheartening for them.

Sadly that's the story for a lot of the migrants I have met not only in this forum, but in Adelaide. Disheartening indeed :frown:

'

I reckon if you have a secure job in the UK at the moment, you might be better off sticking with that. Lots of redundancies happening and happened, so the job market is flooded with applicants. If you do get a job, contract work is very common so you have no job security and vould be looking again in six months.

I agree it definitely looks like jobs are not as abundant as they were.Hubby has been trying to secure a job in motortrade for months.It seems that ageism is a big factor here.They seem to write you off if you are late 40s,approaching 50.So shortsighted,he knows of two places at least where they took on young aussies,within weeks they are readvertising as they were unreliable. When will employers learn,the irony is changes that are coming in now in his trade hubby was instrumental in introducing to UK 15 yrs ago, iwouldnt come here in current climate now if you have a good job in UK.Its too big a risk,but everyone has to make their own choices,but not always easy to just go back home.Think very carefully.

Sue

Guest ColinOz
I agree it definitely looks like jobs are not as abundant as they were.Hubby has been trying to secure a job in motortrade for months.It seems that ageism is a big factor here.They seem to write you off if you are late 40s,approaching 50.So shortsighted,he knows of two places at least where they took on young aussies,within weeks they are readvertising as they were unreliable. When will employers learn,the irony is changes that are coming in now in his trade hubby was instrumental in introducing to UK 15 yrs ago, iwouldnt come here in current climate now if you have a good job in UK.Its too big a risk,but everyone has to make their own choices,but not always easy to just go back home.Think very carefully.

Sue

That's funny because I was rejected from one job because they thought I was too young (inexperienced) for the role and they hired a 50 something man :wink:. It doesn't matter what reason is (gender, race, country, religion, sexual orientation, age), Discrimination sucks :mad: