offer received for 489 advice needed

Guest tintre

Guest tintre

hi everyone im in need of a little advice if possible, firstly i am a nurse with 18 months experience turning 40 in June. My partner is also a nurse but overseas qualified and not worked as that for over 3 years now, currently working in security but wanting to work in the police or prison service over there.

Currently i have 50 points losing 10 in June due to age change, but due to the offer of sponsorship i now have 60. however i was wanting to go for PR and due to resit ielts for the 4th time tomorrow. I have overall 8 band but keep failing scoring 7.5 in one or another section hence only 10 points.

The offer of sponsorship came through quicker than expected but over the moon. If i score 8s in all four sections on ielts (and it is a big IF) WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

apply for sponsorship or take the risk of not accepting it and apply for PR therefore losing the offer and risking sitting and waiting to be picked from DIAC. I am so nervous as i said beforei have less than 12 weeks before i turn 40 arghhhhh so confused and dont want to put myself in a difficult situation.

I have researched the 489 and it seems a good visa with not many restrictions and can live anywhere in SA, with the option of applying for PR after 2 years via the 887 route with not much additional cost.

would me and OH have difficulty getting employment with this visa (489).

Apologies in advance for my long writing,just confused scared and not sure what to do,i will add we are doing this without an agent and found it straightforward so far.

Thank you in advance.

Guest tintre
Ahh 489's are good. Better than 457's. I'd say take it. I've been waiting for my 190 since August with 65 points. Quotas are almost full and looks like a wait till the July reset.

Thats what my instinct is telling me, if i failed the ielts 3 times now i doubt the resit tomorrow lol. Thats quite a while for the 190, what is your occupation?

Guest tintre
DIAC has become DIBP.

You probably should have considered taking the OET.

If you were my client, I would advise you to accept the offer - half a loaf is better then none - a bird in the hand - and so on.

Thank you for the correction. I had heard of the OET yet only ever read about 20 points for band 8 ielts, i suppose these these are some of the mistakes made when not using an agent such as yourself. Yes the phrase you used is quite apt lol....thank you for the advice its appreciated. I think i will just resit the ielts and be stress free, lucky that im in a position with an offer of a route to AUS.

Guest tintre

yes thats what i have seen Blossom, struggling to find much info on security work for him though. Guess we will see whats about when we get there, hes good at networking and getting to know people, i think this will be how he sorts some line of work, so long as he gets some sort of work hes happy to work towards or retrain towards his interest. Thankyou for your thoughts on the 489, appreciated x