Existing visa enquiry for son in England on 176

niknjas

Hi

We have been here nearly 4.5 years on a 176 visa. We got our visa in July 2009 and moved here January 2010.

Our son who is still in England was also on our visa but decided not to come, but he did validate it within three months of us being here.

He is now talking about coming over here. As our PR as such ends in July (we are going for citizenship), not sure where this would leave him.

Only talking about a visit at the moment next year but would he need RRV or a visitors visa and has he well and truly blown it for coming to Oz for good?

Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Niki

I am not sure he would gain a RRV as he's not actually lived in AUS yes, only validated his visa. Hopefully someone with better understanding will be along. It may be a tourist visa for him to visit.

If he isn't resident in AUS by the time his current visa expires then he may well see the door close on him in terms of migrating on it. He might find he has to get a new visa on his own merits, such as a skilled visa or some such.

I am not sure he would gain a RRV as he's not actually lived in AUS yes, only validated his visa. Hopefully someone with better understanding will be along. It may be a tourist visa for him to visit.

If he isn't resident in AUS by the time his current visa expires then he may well see the door close on him in terms of migrating on it. He might find he has to get a new visa on his own merits, such as a skilled visa or some such.

Thanks Snifter

He's definitely not going to make it before July. I did think that maybe the boat has sailed for him.

Kind Regards

Niki

Hi Niki

we moved here in February 3 days before our 175 visa expired. My youngest daughter didn't come because she is at uni. Her visa therefore expired. 1 week after we arrived she put in an online application for a RRV. On the website it says it takes 14 days. She was due to fly out for a 3 week holiday 4 weeks after we arrived. 14 days went and she kept ringing and they said the 14 days was only a guideline. She didn't get anywhere so travelled on a tourist visa which I had read could cancel out her permanent residency. A couple of days after she arrived they asked for more info. We wrote an email and attached whatever we could to prove that we had moved here (her mum and only sibling), explained that she could only visit again at Christmas. Last week she was granted a RRV with a 1 year entry date, which she is thrilled about as she can now join us if she wishes after uni. She had only ever activated her original visa back in 2009 for a one week holiday.

so you never know. If your son has a good reason why he never came with you, it may be possible.

Karen

Thanks Karenbfam & Snifter

Sam was still in 6th form at the time and just think he found it too much to leave his friends behind. His balance of family is more in UK. TBH I think he only thinks about it when he's fed up and he seems to think grass is greener etc. I think he also forgets how difficult it is to get over here. He's in an established relationship and they're expecting a baby so that makes things a lot more complicated for him.

He definitely won't get a skilled visa that quickly and he would also have to re-train.

I will tell him but I don't hold out much hope of him coming out or getting it. He definitely wants to visit but further than that?

Niki