Adelaide too British ?

Guest mactac

Guest mactac

Don't attack all at once. : )

if you count up all the other nations who now call Australia home Indian, Chinese, GERMAN, Italian, Korean, Thai, Swiss, Brazilian etc etc.

All of these nationalities far out weigh the recent British migrants. Who knows someday the majority of Australia will no longer be white.

Perhaps sensitivity and awareness of other nationalities should also be shown.

I feel too much attention seems to be paid to Britishness on the media.

Edited by mactac

Guest mactac

channel 9 every night there seems to be something about war or the royals.

i do not argue it has its place as it this a commonwealth country.

but 90% of the presenters are white. if anyone has been to the big cities this no longer really represents australia.

bbc at least more sensitive to this fact.

insensitive to say german migrants or middle eastern migrants.

maybe i just don't like the constant glorification of war.

i do not like people to forget what happened ww1 and ww2 and the bravery of our troops.

please do not for a second accuse me of not being aware of the need to remember those

who sacrificed everything and the genuine love the royals have worldwide.

watching just reminds me of reading the sun sometimes, benefit cheats, war and the royals.

hey, maybe its just me.

Guest Claire-n-tel
but 90% of the presenters are white. if anyone has been to the big cities this no longer really represents australia.

Maybe it doesn't so much represent the big cities, but that does not mean it does not represent Australia as a whole. There are no official numbers on the colour of people here, the only thing asked in the census is are you aboriginal or TSI.....but the estimated numbers are in fact that 90% of people in Australia are of European decent. Not sure if you are meaning 'white' people or 'British' people as you refer to both.....

Guest Britgirl8

Maybe im alittle off track with this thread but one thing hubby and me cant understand is why the Australian media seems quite obsessed with when the Brits lose a game for example the World Cup. Cricket i can understand that's rivalry or maybe not?

Last time I looked we had a British Monarch and PM. Maybe the fact the 2 most important people (elected and non elected) are British. And the previous elected PM is also British.

And to quote you

All of these nationalities far out weigh the recent British migrants. Who knows someday the majority of Australia will no longer be white.

Why should the news be only be for recent immigrants?

And your last point....Australia was originally non white.

I think this is one of the more absurd threads, and the fact so many, including me, is replying makes it seem sensible. This is more worrying.

It's a friendly rivalry that's all. I get a bit of stick at work for supporting the English cricket team....though I've won points by being vocal about how I hope England gets a good thrashing at the World Cup. I don't think it's too British here, in fact, I have a much greater variety of friendships across nationalities than I ever did in the UK.

Maybe im alittle off track with this thread but one thing hubby and me cant understand is why the Australian media seems quite obsessed with when the Brits lose a game for example the World Cup. Cricket i can understand that's rivalry or maybe not?

Because so many have British Heritage. It's important to many, and when you hear England/Uk your ears prick up. Other countries you wouldn't notice so much. We have the EPL results on the ABC but not Serie A.

channel 9 every night there seems to be something about war or the royals.

i do not argue it has its place as it this a commonwealth country.

bbc at least more sensitive to this fact.

insensitive to say german migrants or middle eastern migrants.

maybe i just don't like the constant glorification of war.

i do not like people to forget what happened ww1 and ww2 and the bravery of our troops.

please do not for a second accuse me of not being aware of the need to remember those

who sacrificed everything and the genuine love the royals have worldwide.

watching just reminds me of reading the sun sometimes, benefit cheats, war and the royals.

hey, maybe its just me.

Just watch SBS, you can get all the ethnic diversity one could hope for there.

Guest mactac

I take the point because I am more aware of something - it seems like it is everywhere.

Good point. I recall living in Melbourne it seemed less.

It was just an observation. I know Rupert Murdoch has a hand in all these channels. I really can't stand the guy.

Fox News, The Sun, Sky the list is endless.

Maybe seeing Tony Blairs face on TV again arguing the farce that was the war on Iraq got me started.

If you say a word against it - you are against the troops which is BS in my book.

I was never enlisted but would never point a finger at any service person. They just do their job.

And Abotts big spend on all those fighter jets while increasing the retirement age gets my goat.

Yes SBS and ABC seem to be balanced maybe too balanced. Trying too hard maybe.

As to the Germans I don't think you can blame the grand kids for the war.

Brits far outweigh the Germans here as with every other country we went to war with.

As Basil Fawlty says we didn't start it.

Anyway every time I see it which is most nights I think of all the other nationalities tuning in.

Don't attack all at once. : )

Perhaps sensitivity and awareness of other nationalities should also be shown.

Yes SBS and ABC seem to be balanced maybe too balanced. Trying too hard maybe.

Okay, first off, I am definitely not attacking you lol! However, I find the points you make a bit confusing :sad: The above two statements seem contradictory.

I think you should look at Australian history; many nationalities esp. Chinese, settled here during the Gold Rush. Germans, Italians and the Dutch have been here for around / plus a hundred years.

Australia is all about migration, and assimilation. You can't always tell someone's country of origin, or their family's country of origin, simply by looking at them. For instance, look at the blonde-haired, fair-skinned Indigenous kids.

Whilst it is cool to enjoy and celebrate the culture of whatever our country of origin was, I don't think it's so great to hold on to that nationality. I don't know if I am making sense, but I know that for my family, whilst we are proud of where we came from, we are even prouder of where we are.

Sorry if I sound slightly simple lol!

LC

Edited by Lazy Cow
Trying to sort out the font size etc :(

Okay, first off, I am definitely not attacking you lol! However, I find the points you make a bit confusing :sad: The above two statements seem contradictory.

I think you should look at Australian history; many nationalities esp. Chinese, settled here during the Gold Rush. Germans, Italians and the Dutch have been here for around / plus a hundred years.

Australia is all about migration, and assimilation. You can't always tell someone's country of origin, or their family's country of origin, simply by looking at them. For instance, look at the blonde-haired, fair-skinned Indigenous kids.

Whilst it is cool to enjoy and celebrate the culture of whatever our country of origin was, I don't think it's so great to hold on to that nationality. I don't know if I am making sense, but I know that for my family, whilst we are proud of where we came from, we are even prouder of where we are.

LC

ffs I've gone deaf now after reading all that!

Guest mactac

LC

Hmm sounds rational.

I think it is hard not to hold on to your nationality if you arrive here after the age of 30+.

You will probably hold your accent retain your networks from home.

Australia certainly does force assimilation more the USA for example.

But my point was that culture is too British.

Tony Abbott bringing back knighthoods for example.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/tony-abbott-mocked-for-reintroducing-knights-and-dames-to-the-order-of-australia-honours-list/story-fnjwnhzf-1226864580839

This seems to have an undercurrent of something hard to pinpoint.

This is the same man who got elected on stopping asylum seekers.

Guest mactac

Would Senator Penny Wong for example take a damehood ?

I think she was born in Malaysia.

She may very well.

Surely this is a deeply British custom and has its place in the UK

and no longer commonwealth countries.

Again just interesting to think about.

End of rant :smile:

Guest Claire-n-tel

Again just interesting to think about.

No it's not really interesting at all, tbh I think you have basically started a thread which you were hoping would get people riled up and it hasn't done what you hoped it to do.