Migration nightmare!

kellyconnor

Found out on Wednesday last week that our agent had applied for a 489 visa when we always wanted a PR. Won't bore you with the details but we thought this was a 190 with SA sponsorship however when she said we didn't have enough points we thought it meant for a 189 not a 190!! Husband is booked in for a IELTS however not until 19th July and now just been hit with another curve ball - from 1st July Skills Assessments have a 3 year lifespan - my husband did his in 2006!

Now in a crappy position, just waiting to see how my agent plays this out as we don't have the cash put aside for another skills assessment as we thought we had that in the bag. I don't know how this happened as we never discussed a 489 only ever a 190 or 189 depending on points. Shame really as no complaints about my agent she has been great and hasn't tried to duck a call or anything since this happened and keeps reassuring me that things will be ok but not sure it will be!!

One recommendation for anyone in the process of going through this application get everything followed up in an email!!

Anyone on a 489 - pro's/ cons? I have two kids - 6 and 11 months was planning on coming out beginning of 2016. Husband will need to find work as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic and I am a Marketing Manager (not planning on working right away until kids are happily ensconced in nursery/ school although it will probably take me a while to get a job in my profession from what I have been reading!) - will we struggle on this visa to secure work?

Contemplating our options but it looks like it maybe suck it and see on a 489 or give it up!

Edited by kellyconnor
typos

No your hubbys trade is definitely in demand here as I kno from personal experience as my partners the same trade We are on 457 & arrived in Sept & company are sponsoring our PR now as we already have skills assessment. Good luck & let me know if you need any help xx

Cheers Gumster - we have done this before in Perth on a 457 but it didn't work out for a number of reasons however this time I really wanted to do it properly if you know what I mean... I have two kids in tow this time so am no longer happy to fly by the seat of my pants!! How are you enjoying Port Noarlunga? Hoping to come out and do a recce early next year if all goes well. I swear I will be grey and wrinkly by the time this process is over I feel like I've aged rapidly over the last couple of months I don't know how anyone does this without an agent it feels like a full time job with an agent and we've still managed to muck it up!

Edited by noworriesmate
swearing

How annoying. What is your agent suggesting?

The 489 is a temporary visa which brings some issues. Medicare would only be reciprocal (but actually most things are covered). You wouldn't be entitled to any child benefits, or government maternity pay if you chose to have another.

The biggest worry for me while on a temp visa was that one of us would get seriously ill and then be refused pr on top of being ill.

Hi Blossom - no plans for anymore children so that is not a worry for me! The child benefit is a bit of a pain but we would survive and would look to do a PR after two years. If serious illness did occur we would probably go home in that two year period I think but you just don't know what will happen in the future. The agent is trying to see if the TRA will give us an updated skills letter but I think it is clutching at straws!! Basically we need to decide if we just go for it on a 489 or re-do the skills assessment and start again. We haven't lost anything as the application has not been processed yet but need to decide this week how we proceed. Agent mistake or our mistake I think a bit of both but at least she is trying to do anything she can to help!

Remaining positive as these are just blips albeit big ones :)

. Agent mistake or our mistake I think a bit of both but at least she is trying to do anything she can to help!

Remaining positive as these are just blips albeit big ones :)

What a fantastic attitude!

Can't help, but I am certainly wishing you and your family all the best. :wubclub:

:notworthy: LC

Found out on Wednesday last week that our agent had applied for a 489 visa when we always wanted a PR. Won't bore you with the details but we thought this was a 190 with SA sponsorship however when she said we didn't have enough points we thought it meant for a 189 not a 190!! Husband is booked in for a IELTS however not until 19th July and now just been hit with another curve ball - from 1st July Skills Assessments have a 3 year lifespan - my husband did his in 2006!

Now in a crappy position, just waiting to see how my agent plays this out as we don't have the cash put aside for another skills assessment as we thought we had that in the bag. I don't know how this happened as we never discussed a 489 only ever a 190 or 189 depending on points. Shame really as no complaints about my agent she has been great and hasn't tried to duck a call or anything since this happened and keeps reassuring me that things will be ok but not sure it will be!!

One recommendation for anyone in the process of going through this application get everything followed up in an email!!

Anyone on a 489 - pro's/ cons? I have two kids - 6 and 11 months was planning on coming out beginning of 2016. Husband will need to find work as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic and I am a Marketing Manager (not planning on working right away until kids are happily ensconced in nursery/ school although it will probably take me a while to get a job in my profession from what I have been reading!) - will we struggle on this visa to secure work?

Contemplating our options but it looks like it maybe suck it and see on a 489 or give it up!

Hi we are on a 489 visa as we could not meet the points needed for a 190 been here since April and loving it and will get PR as soon as 2 years are up, please pm for further information, they key really is to not waste too much and get here asap as they keep changing the rules and regulations and you may find that there may be no way of you ever getting here!! That was our personal experience and since being here we have met other people here on 489 visas too and remember its a provisional visa not a temporary one.

Best thing we ever did was emigrate.

Good luck.

Bal