Pharmacist with 15 years experience & Sales Manager NO LONGER ON THE SKILLS LIST!!!

Guest kobi

Well, we lived the dream, from the UK anyway but unfortunately for myself and the missus everything has been put on hold for now.

A little about me and the wife:

Wife is a Senior Pharmacist currently employed as a manager of a large retail pharmacy. Wife is 37.

I'm a sales office manager aged 35, heading up a sales team of ten. 13 years experience of the petrochemicals industry.

For years I've wanted to move over to Aus but the wife always found excuses ( I first visited Aus with my folks over 20 years ago and I knew from then that it was where I wanted to be ).

Earlier this year we started to seriously look at the possibility of moving over - so we found forums ( this being the most helpful ) government sites, real estate site etc to give us as much info as possible.

I have to admit the extra impetus into the move was fuelled by such shows as 'wanted down under'.

Anyways, earlier this year ( April 2014 ) I made the trip over with the wife and we spent 4 weeks 'checking out australia'.

We did lots of research before hand and we always knew that Adelaide as going to be the place that we could

i) select as the region that listed our occupation skills

ii) similar to our lifestyle here in the UK - we are from Berkshire - close to London but not city types.

iii) loved the '20' min go anyway lifestyle that Adelaide offered.

Anyways, we loved our time there, we spent 1 week in NSW ( mainly Sydney ) a few days in Melbourne and 2 weeks in Adelaide and the surrounding areas.

We got back to the UK, the wife went in full steam ahead to sit some exams relating to Pharmacy and started the ball rolling regarding visa applications.

Literally 4 weeks ago my wifes skills occupation went from medium demand to low demand to not being required at all!

So here we are now - the wife has just last week sat some pharmaceutical exams to allow her to work in Aus, but we have no state to apply to.

We spent a small fortune travelling over from the UK to Aus in April and spending time there on a 'research mission' - we didnt really treat it as a holiday - only to then find our skills were no longer required by the state.

At the moment, we are both gutted - we don't need to move from the UK but the thought of giving the kids ( 8year old and 6 year old ) a new life adventure and completely new life style really hit us hard.

We spent 2 weeks in the Mawson lakes area and looked at prospective schools etc and viewed housing areas that we potentially could move too.

I guess i'm just posting to warn others, that whilst you may have good intentions, please pay attention to what's going on in the state! Also spend extra time looking at the types of vacancy available when looking at work.

Just for your info - we currently have the opportunity of looking at Canberra or Darwin - both of which I'm dead against.

My wife ( A pharmacist and now senior pharmacist manager with experience of working with hospitals and surgeries ) is considering looking at a college course for qualifications as a beautician - something that is still on the list. It makes us laugh that a mid 30's with medical qualifications cannot emigrate to SA but learn out to slap on some make up and you qualify to apply for a visa with citizenship ( apologies to those applying with beauty course qualifications ).

Just thought I'd post something about the current reality of the job/economy state of SA!

Please come back to me and give me some positive feedback - just so that I get a good nights sleep!:arghh:

I still believe my family will get there one day but certainly for now the Aussie dream is on a back burner.

Guest Guest14361

Hang in there mate, it'll be back on the list, re the make up, there are a few people who could do with a make over hence the vacancies on the list...

Forget the training to be a beautician thing. Not only do you need the course, but a few years of experience after to be able to apply. Within that time your wife's job is likely to be back on the list.

Unfortunetly this kind of thing is very common.

I studied to be able to apply for pr and less than a week before I was going to apply they changed the rules. That put me back three years.

Have you thought about your wife applying for jobs over here and trying to get sponsorship?

And only one point about your idea of Adelaide, it really isn't a 20 minute city. That went out the window a long time ago.

Well, we lived the dream, from the UK anyway but unfortunately for myself and the missus everything has been put on hold for now.

A little about me and the wife:

Wife is a Senior Pharmacist currently employed as a manager of a large retail pharmacy. Wife is 37.

I'm a sales office manager aged 35, heading up a sales team of ten. 13 years experience of the petrochemicals industry.

For years I've wanted to move over to Aus but the wife always found excuses ( I first visited Aus with my folks over 20 years ago and I knew from then that it was where I wanted to be ).

Earlier this year we started to seriously look at the possibility of moving over - so we found forums ( this being the most helpful ) government sites, real estate site etc to give us as much info as possible.

I have to admit the extra impetus into the move was fuelled by such shows as 'wanted down under'.

Anyways, earlier this year ( April 2014 ) I made the trip over with the wife and we spent 4 weeks 'checking out australia'.

We did lots of research before hand and we always knew that Adelaide as going to be the place that we could

i) select as the region that listed our occupation skills

ii) similar to our lifestyle here in the UK - we are from Berkshire - close to London but not city types.

iii) loved the '20' min go anyway lifestyle that Adelaide offered.

Anyways, we loved our time there, we spent 1 week in NSW ( mainly Sydney ) a few days in Melbourne and 2 weeks in Adelaide and the surrounding areas.

We got back to the UK, the wife went in full steam ahead to sit some exams relating to Pharmacy and started the ball rolling regarding visa applications.

Literally 4 weeks ago my wifes skills occupation went from medium demand to low demand to not being required at all!

So here we are now - the wife has just last week sat some pharmaceutical exams to allow her to work in Aus, but we have no state to apply to.

We spent a small fortune travelling over from the UK to Aus in April and spending time there on a 'research mission' - we didnt really treat it as a holiday - only to then find our skills were no longer required by the state.

At the moment, we are both gutted - we don't need to move from the UK but the thought of giving the kids ( 8year old and 6 year old ) a new life adventure and completely new life style really hit us hard.

We spent 2 weeks in the Mawson lakes area and looked at prospective schools etc and viewed housing areas that we potentially could move too.

I guess i'm just posting to warn others, that whilst you may have good intentions, please pay attention to what's going on in the state! Also spend extra time looking at the types of vacancy available when looking at work.

Just for your info - we currently have the opportunity of looking at Canberra or Darwin - both of which I'm dead against.

My wife ( A pharmacist and now senior pharmacist manager with experience of working with hospitals and surgeries ) is considering looking at a college course for qualifications as a beautician - something that is still on the list. It makes us laugh that a mid 30's with medical qualifications cannot emigrate to SA but learn out to slap on some make up and you qualify to apply for a visa with citizenship ( apologies to those applying with beauty course qualifications ).

Just thought I'd post something about the current reality of the job/economy state of SA!

Please come back to me and give me some positive feedback - just so that I get a good nights sleep!:arghh:

I still believe my family will get there one day but certainly for now the Aussie dream is on a back burner.

From what you have posted, I assess that there would be a ready solution to your issues. If you want a free, professional preliminary assessment send an email to visa@pinoyau.com

The list changes often - if you've wanted to make the move for years you'll have seen this happen in many occupations - so don't get too despondent.

I'd be more worried that your dream has been fuelled from programs like Wanted Down Under and the idea that Adelaide offers a 20 mins go anywhere lifestyle! :nah:

Seriously, discuss your situation with a migration agent (one's even offered to help on this very thread) and you'll feel less pessimistic.

"Just for your info - we currently have the opportunity of looking at Canberra or Darwin - both of which I'm dead against"

My daughter, who works in a public hospital, moved with her family to Darwin at the beginning of the year and I have been there twice since (and have more visits planned).

I find it a young vibrant city, albeit a fairly transient population, with plenty to do and to offer young families. It may be worth considering for a few years. Everyone I met there seems to love living there.

Hang in there mate, it'll be back on the list, re the make up, there are a few people who could do with a make over hence the vacancies on the list...

Hi All

Thanks for your comments - maybe I've been a bit too quick in becoming negative.

I guess I should probably lay off the wine before posting too!

Nobby your post made me laugh out loud - love it.

I've received some messages to my inbox which have been very encouraging so this has certainly taken away some of my concerns.

Thanks again to all - I'll keep you posted.

P.s my comment about Adelaide being a 20 min city - to be honest everytime we drove into the city, there was hardly any traffic and the roads were always clear. Compared to the M4 & M25 here in the UK, driving over there was a breeze! You guys are still very lucky, Adelaide and its surrounding suburbs is one hell of a wonderful place to live and call home!

Guest Guest14361

Hi this all sounds very familiar, as it's happened to us! We used a Migration Agent in the end and they were fantastic. We found that Pig Farmers with 4 yrs experience were on the top of the lists for all states. That was Autumn 2013 when we applied. Our skills in I.T. were on the list, then off the list, then on the list, they do mess about with the Skills Lists, but a Migration Agent has a lot of know-how. We had to re-mortgage the house to get the money to get over here, and it's a big risk, but lots of us do it! We also nearly went to the Northern Territory and we were prepared to do that as the Migration Agents explain, once you "do your time" (depending on the visa type) you can State Hop to where the jobs are and where you wish to be. Good Luck and keep on trying as you are both very well qualified and Australia would be crazy not to want you!!!