Getting there!

Linda21

Guest berries

Hi,

gosh things are moving fast for you !!! good luck

Im booked in for my IELTS next month, then vetasses assessment to send off then all systems go hopefully.

Wow you gained excellent scores on your IELTS well done. I need 20 points from this to have enough points so very nervous, I have loads of books and stuff to revise from

Is it really tricky? Ive heard lots of things about it !!!

I would just say keep practising using the materials provided by the British Council. Take your time, breath and don't panic! It's a long day and we started with the listening test, then reading, writing and lastly speaking. Just make sure you read the questions so you know what to listen out for - one tip I used was to underline main parts of question to keep me focused! When doing the writing test, make sure you don't take too long on the first part as there are more marks in the second piece. Just make sure you take a minute or two to think about what you are going to say before you start and I chose to use a pencil so I could rub out changes! Remember spelling, punctuation and paragraphs are more important than actual content! They are not expecting you to be an expert in the subject, just make sure what you say makes sense and flows fluently. As for the speaking test, relax and be yourself. Don't try and use words you wouldn't usually use in day to day conversation - being natural, even with my Scottish accent, did it for me. Good luck and remember keep breathing!!

Guest berries
I would just say keep practising using the materials provided by the British Council. Take your time, breath and don't panic! It's a long day and we started with the listening test, then reading, writing and lastly speaking. Just make sure you read the questions so you know what to listen out for - one tip I used was to underline main parts of question to keep me focused! When doing the writing test, make sure you don't take too long on the first part as there are more marks in the second piece. Just make sure you take a minute or two to think about what you are going to say before you start and I chose to use a pencil so I could rub out changes! Remember spelling, punctuation and paragraphs are more important than actual content! They are not expecting you to be an expert in the subject, just make sure what you say makes sense and flows fluently. As for the speaking test, relax and be yourself. Don't try and use words you wouldn't usually use in day to day conversation - being natural, even with my Scottish accent, did it for me. Good luck and remember keep breathing!!

Thank you so much for your reply ?

Guest berries

Hi,

can someone please clarify this for me ?? I am sending my skill assessment to vetasses online! Does every piece of evidence and document that you send have to be certified? As they will be photocopies and then scanned ??!! Please help!!!!!

Guest Claire-n-tel
Hi,

can someone please clarify this for me ?? I am sending my skill assessment to vetasses online! Does every piece of evidence and document that you send have to be certified? As they will be photocopies and then scanned ??!! Please help!!!!!

Why are you photocopying them? Just scan the originals?......on the application or on the document check list it will tell you what, if any need to be certified if you are scanning them in

• 2 weeks later...
Guest berries
Hi, yes for my assessment I had to photocopy them, then get each page certified before sending them to AITSL for my skills assessment - but I had to post them. Not sure about VETASSESS.

Hi, getting nervous about my Ielts test!!!! In the listening part, are you in a room with other people?

Do you wear headphones?

Thank you

Cath

xxx

Hi, apart from the speaking test where you are one to one with someone you are all together in a big hall. There was about 90 people when I sat it! You do not wear headphones it is just played out loud. Honestly it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just read over the questions first. I underlined words to listen out for and try to RELAX! Don't worry if you miss some just keep going and take a guess at the end for any you miss. Remember to keep breathing! I just thought about all the people doing the test as a second language - that has to be even scarier!

Good luck.

Guest berries

Hi, thanks again for the useful information! I am just worried if someone is coughing sneezing etc and I miss what the cd is playing!!! I think I am probably over thinking things now! A lot rides on this test for us if I don't get minimum 8 overall I wont have enough points so would have to take the test again until I do !!!! Can you please tell me how to add the footer info of dates etc.... at the end of a post ? Can't find how to do it !! Applied online for skills assess with vetasses last week so hopefully that will be good news but probably not quick news. They can take up to 12 weeks !!! When you go on your reccie , will you be looking at schools? I have to look into that I have 2 boys currently in yr 2 & yr6 . The one thing I was told from my friend in Perth is that their yrs are a year behind ours so start secondary a year later. Which isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

Thanks again

Cathy

Xxx

Hi Cathy, I was in the same position as you as I needed 8s for points. Don't worry about noise as you could hear a pin drop lol!

As for your timeline, go into settings then edit Signature.

We have arranged to visit some schools when we are over. My two boys are in y6 and y9. I believe my youngest who is September born would start y6 in January which is fine as it will take the pressure off, whereas my eldest would start either y7 or y8 in January as he is 13 and an August birthday. If anyone can clarify his year that would be great.

Good luck with your IELTS I'm sure you will do fine.

Linda

Hi Berries,

I also had to get 8's in the IELTs (what a pain that was).. there is alot of help on the internet and even people on the Youtube with instructional videos - the hardest I thought was the writing! - I had to write loads of practice essays and letters before going in for the second time -I also googled IELTs practice papers on the net and found plenty of useful sites which had dummy papers...

My 1st attempt i scored 2 x 9s (1 in speaking and 1 Reading) - 8.5 in listening (typical bloke no listening skills let e down there!!! lol) ... but only 7.5 in the writing!! doh!.. so consequently had to sign up for another attempt...

But thankfully the second attempt I scored 2 x 9s 1 x 8.5 and the 8 for writing!!... most chuffed

I really would practice loads and even the listening and reading tests - i found the 'true / false / not given' part of the test sometimes quite tricky... again keep going over practice papers

I even bought one of these biros that you could rub out - and was very glad I did as there were a couple of sentences which i didnt like and simply rubbed them out rather that the untidy crossing out - really watch the time too...I did the essay 1st and stopped when the 40mins was up then went on to the letter - this has to be completed in 20mins - also try and make sure you have a good read through the letters and essays.. they really go to town for grammar..

Again.. loads of useful info on the net... but dont fall into the trap that because its our native language.. its easy.. many of the foreign students probably do better in the essays and letter as they prob have studied the grammar....its been over 30 yrs since I was last at school...so it really was a shake up for those cobwebs in my brain!!

Hope this helps

Gary

Hi,

Hi

how are you getting on with your skilled assessment paperwork? We have just finished ours and had to get everything certified. We are going through an agency so they are checking through it before it is submitted- hopefully it's all ok as I can't face gathering any more evidence ha! When are you hoping to move over?

Kerri x