Household chores in the heat??

Guest The Angus Clan

Guest The Angus Clan

Hi everyone. For those of you already there, how do you cope with day to day chores in such intense heat?? And did it take a period of adjustment to the climate? Scotland had a short-lived, mini "heat wave" last week (and I use the term "heat wave" very loosely!) and it made me contemplate what it would be like going about my daily tasks in a far greater heat ! :unsure:Maybe it was the novelty of seeing the sun but I just couldn't knuckle down to anything! Believe me , I do not live for domestic drudgery, but with 3 kids it's a fact of life!

Still waiting on Vetassess and daring to dream the dream - let's hope we hear something back soon so we can move forward! Congrats to all those who got their visas recently!:D

Marcia

Guest The Angus Clan

Well yes, air con would be a must ! It's just that living in Scotland , we are not used to prolonged periods of good, warm weather (our summer temps are comparable with those of Oz in autumn and winter!). It would be a novelty to begin with , I'm sure!

Guest Django

Agreed. The thing that amazes me is that people when they have been there a while wear jumpers and jackets in tempertures that when back in the UK would go out in shorts and t-shirts. :unsure:

Pete

Go out and do something nicer....., but seriously.

Early mornings are best for housework, gardening etc. During the day things like washing can be done and hung out as it doesn't take very long and then in the evening cook outside on the bbq or have salads or BBQ chicken bought from the shops. Take things more slowly, there's no point rushing and getting overheated.

Afternoons are good for the beach or parks, it's still hot but you are less likely to get sunburnt. Evenings are good for sitting out on the verandah or decking with a glass of coolness. However if you have aircon and wish to run it none stop then you can do pretty much about anything until you get the electricity bill!

Guest The Angus Clan

You make it sound wonderful - the bit about slowing down especially!! I am there already! Easy to look through rose coloured specs and I know it won't be plain sailing , but if we can manage that kind of life style change , it would be great! A long way to go though!!!

Guest Django
A long way to go though!!!

You will be surprised how quickly it goes. One moment you are sending your skill assessment off the next your sending your visa application off. I remember thinking the same as you that we were way off applying for the visa and now we actually have it!!!

Good luck you'll soon be there

Pete

Guest The Angus Clan
Hi Marcia, would you and Graeme be interested in a Meet in Ayrshire with a few other Scottish couples.

regards

Moira

Hi Moira

We would definitely like to start meeting up with other Scottish families heading out to SA but until we hear back about Vetassess and then sponsorship , I am not wanting to tempt fate!! Let me know when and where you are meeting - June is quite a heavy month for us but please keep us posted - hopefully we will have some word soon!:D

Marcia

Guest The Angus Clan
You will be surprised how quickly it goes. One moment you are sending your skill assessment off the next your sending your visa application off. I remember thinking the same as you that we were way off applying for the visa and now we actually have it!!!

Good luck you'll soon be there

Pete

Cheers Pete ! You seem to have had your fair share of waiting but I'm glad you are finally on your way! Keep you posted!

Marcia

Guest caoimhe
Agreed. The thing that amazes me is that people when they have been there a while wear jumpers and jackets in tempertures that when back in the UK would go out in shorts and t-shirts. :unsure:

Pete

Apparently it's because your blood thins when you go out there allowing you to adjust to the heat :idea:

Guest Django
Apparently it's because your blood thins when you go out there allowing you to adjust to the heat :idea:

Yeah I reckon its all that wine tasting does it.;)