Where do we start?

Mazza227

Please can someone help with where to start with applying for a visa/type of visa etc. I went onto visa bureau and filled in form and it said we passed the points score. But really want to know how to start whole process.

I am 36, mum of 2 children (8&6) and husband is 42, currently self employed painter/decorator.

We need to find out what qualifications he would need to come out as doesn't have any, just years of experience.

Do people normally pay a company to sort paperwork side of things out? Who is best to speak to for general advise?

We used an agent as I just knew that without someone guiding us we wouldn't be able to do it but I think lots of people do do it themselves. My husband had been self employed for over 10 years so there was a lot of paperwork we had to provide and then had to provide paperwork about our relationship etc etc. I just felt it was easier to have someone to ask any questions about the process, tell us what the next step was, tell us if we we missing anything etc.

Good luck with it all xxx

I'm sure this is going to come across negatively but....if you want to look at migration surely you should be able to do the basic research for yourselves instead of just assuming it can all be fixed up if you just throw some money at it.

Try starting with the immigration dept website. Look at the different visas and their associated requirements. See where you might fit. Find out what is required and what information is required to support an application, then obtain that information. Google the visa you are after and see what comes up (probably plenty of info). Look for the pitfalls or problems other applicants had and try to work around them. If you're a tradie (or anything else for that matter) then search for info on your particular area of expertise and follow the requirements laid down by the relevant assessment body here in Australia.

Good luck with your application and remember, each hoop you jump through means there is one less to go.

Thanks for your replies, that's the thing we don't want to throw money at it if we have no chance of getting a visa, which is why we need to try and find out for sure. We filled in a form online but how accurate is that? Also I have read conflicting things on the internet regarding work and so how do I know what is right or wrong. Internet can be great but it's also very confusing sometimes!

We have a big list of questions and ideally would like to speak to people to get facts as don't want to waste money/upset family when we don't know if it is a realistic move for us.

I will go and have a look at the immigration dept website and see what I can find out from there thanks:smile:

Personally, I would advise going with an agent - especially if you haven't got any qualifications. We were in a similar position. Hubby had years of experience in his trade but no formal qualifications. Our agent was extremely thorough and guided us through the process of firstly obtaining the trade recognition and then the visa application itself. Could we have done it ourselves? Yes, probably but it was a hell of a lot easier with an expert guiding us through it all. The TRA application is the longest, most tedious one you will have to do (well, it was in our case) and if I'm honest, without the agent I'm not sure if it would have been successful first time round. It was the best £2100 that we spent during the whole process. I think if you have clear qualifications and have all your documents in order then going it alone would be a lot easier but if you have a more complicated situation (ie no formal qualifications) then the agent is invaluable. Good luck

also, I think you'll find most agents will give you an initial appointment free of charge to discuss your case to see if you are likely to be successful. Credible agents won't take you on if you don't meet the criteria. :)

Edited by minimel2710

Thanks for you advise, can I ask which agent you used please? We spoke to visa bureau and visa migrate last night. 1 told us he would need to do an aqf level 3 which is around £1800, and the other told us he would need a tra diploma which was £1000, but she wasn't sure what it was called! Her fees were also around £800 less but I don't want to go with someone cheaper if they don't get it right!

Thanks for you advise, can I ask which agent you used please? We spoke to visa bureau and visa migrate last night. 1 told us he would need to do an aqf level 3 which is around £1800, and the other told us he would need a tra diploma which was £1000, but she wasn't sure what it was called! Her fees were also around £800 less but I don't want to go with someone cheaper if they don't get it right!

Hi,

we used an agent, because like you we didn't have a clue! All we knew was that we had looked into Australia and wanted to be there! We began by going to see an agent that had been recommended to us (concept Australia) and we had an initial meeting and they told us whether or not they thought we had a chance, and they said what our chances were, but also made us aware that nothing can be guaranteed as its ultimately down to the Australian government. We paid £1500, and it was worth every penny. Hope this helps.

good luck

Sam

Visa Bureau get good feedback on our sister site, Poms in Oz. As do Go Matilda and a few others. I've never heard of Visa Migrate but that is not to say they are not good. If you want more feedback on agents and also skills etc I'd post over on Poms in Oz and ask in the Migation section. There are a number of agents post on that site, as well as some very knowledgeable people who might be able to offer more suggestions.

Whichever agent you opt for, ensure they are MARA registered and that you search for feedback/reviews on them as there are a number of companies out there that repeatedly fail to gain people their visas, go into liquidation or close and then reopen under another name a few months later.

We went with immigrationtooz - met them at one of the expos on migrating to australia. Answered all our questions, dealt with everything quickly, chased us up for anything missing, there offices are in Guildford so dependant on where u live my husband had to go to their offices to do the skills assessment interview xxx

Guest Kirsteenx26
Hi,

we used an agent, because like you we didn't have a clue! All we knew was that we had looked into Australia and wanted to be there! We began by going to see an agent that had been recommended to us (concept Australia) and we had an initial meeting and they told us whether or not they thought we had a chance, and they said what our chances were, but also made us aware that nothing can be guaranteed as its ultimately down to the Australian government. We paid £1500, and it was worth every penny. Hope this helps.

good luck

Sam

Hi Sam, I see from the info under your post that you went for the state sponsor SA visa - that is also the type that my partner and I are in the middle of applying for. Can I just ask, have you been offered a job through the merits of your visa? And which part of SA are you planning to move to?

Thanks in advance,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteenx26

Hi Sam,

I see from your info underneath your post that you've gone with the state sponsor SA visa, is that subclass 190? That's also the visa that my partner and myself are in the process of applying for! Can you tell me, have you been offered a job

on the merits of this visa, or do you have to look for your own jobs?

Thanks in advance,

Kirsteen

Hi Sam,

I see from your info underneath your post that you've gone with the state sponsor SA visa, is that subclass 190? That's also the visa that my partner and myself are in the process of applying for! Can you tell me, have you been offered a job

on the merits of this visa, or do you have to look for your own jobs?

Thanks in advance,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

We have to look for jobs ourselves, hopefully won't be to hard to find a job, my husband gets emails everyday from companies looking for joiners, how far are you through the application process?

Xx

Guest Kirsteenx26

Cool, we heard that some people were offered jobs through state nomination and didn't know if that was the case for the minority or majority. It's difficult to find accurate info online! We're waiting on Scott's skills assessment coming back and will get IELTS results on the 13th of this month. Still a few months away from getting the visa but hoping to move out as soon as it's granted. We spent 3 weeks in Adelaide in July this year and loved everything about it. What's the next step for your move? X

Cool, we heard that some people were offered jobs through state nomination and didn't know if that was the case for the minority or majority. It's difficult to find accurate info online! We're waiting on Scott's skills assessment coming back and will get IELTS results on the 13th of this month. Still a few months away from getting the visa but hoping to move out as soon as it's granted. We spent 3 weeks in Adelaide in July this year and loved everything about it. What's the next step for your move? X

We haven't been to Adelaide, so it's all a big gamble really, but it's one we are willing to take! We are set to go in March, we have our flights booked, we are staying in Darwin for a week as my brother and his family live there, so can't wait! We have a four week rental booked for when we arrive and we have a 20ft container organised for mid February, so it's all becoming real, it's took so long to get to this stage so all becoming abit scary and exciting now!!!!:swoon:

Guest Kirsteenx26

Wow how exciting! To be honest we had our hearts set on moving before we even went but family encouraged us to go and check it out, but it's just made us more desperate to get out there now! Had originally hoped we would be there for end of jan/beginning of feb but seems like it might take a bit longer. You will love Adelaide. It's beautiful! Which part of the city is your rental in? We visited a lot of the suburbs whilst we were there and went to an AFL game - can't wait for the season to start again, what a great game to watch (and I'm not into football, rugby etc here!) x

Yeah technology is great, googling everything possible, it's such a great help! Oh I hope your application goes through quickly for you, once our medicals and police checks were submitted it didn't take to long before we heard back! I can't wait to start looking into different activities to do with the family, (AFL is defo on the list!)and not have to constantly wrap up to go anywhere, it's reassuring to hear people say how great it is because obviously there are always doubts with the unknown! Do you have a close family in the uk?

We are staying in the southern suburb of Noarlunga....looks like a lovely place, have you decided on an area?? X

Hi, which container company are you going to use? (starting to think about this now) we are hoping to get out to Adelaide early next year (now head is spinning with all the organising) like you say ''scary and exciting'' .

Hi Dianebell.....we are using a company called PSS, obviously I can't fully say what the whole service is like as all they have done for us so far is give us a quote and set a date for us, all I can say is that every time we have spoke and when they came and give us a quote they were never pushy and provided good customer service, other people have also recommended them to us, so fingers crossed they seem to be a good company to deal with .......when are you hoping to get out to Adelaide?

Guest Kirsteenx26

Such a great place for a family to move to - there are loads of things to do! We did kangaroo island, adelaide zoo, port adelaide dolphin cruise, glenelg jetty, mount lofty summit, bus city tour and plenty more of our own exploring looking at architecture in the city and visiting the numerous parks. We had gorgeous weather too - although the Australians were wrapped up and full of the cold! I'm very close to my mum and dad, whereas my partner's mum and dad have lived in England for over 4 years and he doesn't see them a lot, mostly using technology to keep in touch. I'm trying not to think about saying goodbye as that's the only doubt I have in my head - I wish I could take everyone with me and it would be a total no brainer!! We really liked Glenelg but seemed pretty pricey so thinking about Salisbury instead. Haven't been able to finalise too much as it's all a bit up in the air and a waiting game just now. What made you choose Adelaide over other cities? X

Such a great place for a family to move to - there are loads of things to do! We did kangaroo island, adelaide zoo, port adelaide dolphin cruise, glenelg jetty, mount lofty summit, bus city tour and plenty more of our own exploring looking at architecture in the city and visiting the numerous parks. We had gorgeous weather too - although the Australians were wrapped up and full of the cold! I'm very close to my mum and dad, whereas my partner's mum and dad have lived in England for over 4 years and he doesn't see them a lot, mostly using technology to keep in touch. I'm trying not to think about saying goodbye as that's the only doubt I have in my head - I wish I could take everyone with me and it would be a total no brainer!! We really liked Glenelg but seemed pretty pricey so thinking about Salisbury instead. Haven't been able to finalise too much as it's all a bit up in the air and a waiting game just now. What made you choose Adelaide over other cities? X

Sounds like you had a very good look around! We originally looked at Darwin with my brother and his family living there, but soon realised that it wasn't for us, we just wouldn't like the tropical weather and it is extremely expensive, also my brother could relocate at any time. Adelaide just seemed to tick all the boxes to be honest, we like a slower lifestyle but also like the fast pace of the city at times, so the mixture of seaside suburbs and the closeness of the city really appealed to us, the affordable property was a factor and we also liked the fact that it's seasonal......how about you???

My family mostly live abroad, my mother and her husband in Nigeria, my brother in Darwin and I lost my dad in July, I grew up with my auntie and uncle who will probably be most affected as they see my children as their grandchildren, but if my dads passing has taught me anything it's that life is too short! So just live it!! My husbands family live about An hour and a half away, he has two brothers and a sister, but none of his family bother to visit us here so doubt they will come to Oz!!! And his mam is devastated!!! But I think she is feeling a bit guilty to be honest, they don't bother with us until we travel to see them!!

What visa are you applying for? We have a 489 4 year visa x

Guest Kirsteenx26

We met with an immigration agent a couple of years ago whilst we were both still in training and it was actually after discussing possible cities with him that we decided on SA and Adelaide. It does seem to be a bit slower paced in the suburbs with all the buzz in the city. The weather attracted us too, because as you say they still have seasons.

Your family seem quite spread across the globe already! That's a shame about your aunt and uncle, but we live by the same mantra aswell that you just don't know what's round the corner, and your children will have so many opportunities out there. What ages are they? We're applying for the 190 visa - which is state sponsored for permanent residency. Our plans at the minute are to see if it's a definite permanent move after a couple of years then sponsor my mum and dad to come out (fingers crossed it works out like that!!) x

We met with an immigration agent a couple of years ago whilst we were both still in training and it was actually after discussing possible cities with him that we decided on SA and Adelaide. It does seem to be a bit slower paced in the suburbs with all the buzz in the city. The weather attracted us too, because as you say they still have seasons.

Your family seem quite spread across the globe already! That's a shame about your aunt and uncle, but we live by the same mantra aswell that you just don't know what's round the corner, and your children will have so many opportunities out there. What ages are they? We're applying for the 190 visa - which is state sponsored for permanent residency. Our plans at the minute are to see if it's a definite permanent move after a couple of years then sponsor my mum and dad to come out (fingers crossed it works out like that!!) x

Sounds like you have it all planned out......yeah my family have always lived all over the place, so now it's my turn to leave! We were going for full immigration originally but my husband struggled with the ielts to be honest so we had to go for the 489. Do you have children at all? I have an 11 year old son and a 5 year old daughter, I suppose we would like more children as I'm still young ish! Ha I'm 31, so a baby in Oz would be good but we will wait and see how things work out! What's the weather like where you live at the moment? Pm me if you like as we have taken over this feed!!! .....sorry everyone x

My finacee and I are going through the process now - he couldnt trace back his trade papers and our agent advised us to do the AQF III, no mnetion of the TRA Dimploma though - so I would check that out more if I where you as it's expensive enough. We have just submitted the AQF so hopefully will get that back soon and can begin the visa process. Good luck :)

My finacee and I are going through the process now - he couldnt trace back his trade papers and our agent advised us to do the AQF III, no mnetion of the TRA Dimploma though - so I would check that out more if I where you as it's expensive enough. We have just submitted the AQF so hopefully will get that back soon and can begin the visa process. Good luck :)

It seems he does need to do the aqf3, not sure what the other agent was talking about! Do you have any advise on the aqf? How long does it take to complete? Is it quite straightforward?