457 Visa worries

Guest skimbles

Guest skimbles

I have been offered a nursing position on the emergency department of the Royal Adelaide Hospital with sponsorship for the 457 visa. After being there for three months the RAH could sponsor fo PR.

My OH is adament that we should go for it! I really want to go and we have the house on

the market (Not looking good thanks to the credit crunch etc etc...):skeptical:

I just have this naging feeling that we should go for PR first and not take the risk of the 457?

OH works in the power industry over here as an OPs Tech control & instrumentation apprenticeship served.

We have 3 children aged 8, 10 ,12.

Any comments/suggestions etc ... Gratefully recieved :notworthy:

Guest Django

If you have children I would definately wait for a 175 visa. You will be able to claim for their version of child benefit, you would get the $7000 towards your first house, you will be able to pick and choose your job and you won't have any worries as to your future.

I can understand the 'I wanna get there now' as this is my way of thinking but you got to put your sensible head on for a moment. Even if the hospital sponsor you for PR what happens if, when you get there, you don't like working at that particular hospital???

My advice is go for the 175 visa.

Guest skimbles

I completely agree! These are my worries too. I will keep chipping away at the OH! I too want to get there but I want to feel secure and happy when Im there!

Thanks

Kim

Guest Django

We could have been there quite a while if we had gone down the sponsored route. We now have a 175 visa and I can tell you I'm mighty glad we waited. Tell OH that it will well be worth waiting for. ;)

Pete

Guest jill wright
We could have been there quite a while if we had gone down the sponsored route. We now have a 175 visa and I can tell you I'm mighty glad we waited. Tell OH that it will well be worth waiting for. ;)

Pete

Oh could you indeed Pete well spare a thought for us going down the sponsored route . I thought I read on one of you're previous posts that any visa that gets you there is worth having or have you altered your attitude now your'175' is in the bag . Well done you!!

Jill

Guest Django
Oh could you indeed Pete well spare a thought for us going down the sponsored route . I thought I read on one of you're previous posts that any visa that gets you there is worth having or have you altered your attitude now your'175' is in the bag . Well done you!!

Jill

You are right Jill. Any visa that gets you there is a good visa. All I'm saying is if you have the option you would be stupid not to take it. If you could choose between a 175 and a 457 what would you choose? My attitude is still the same as it ever was. Take the best option available to you. If you only have one option then this is your best option so grab it with both hands. If a 457 was our only option you can bet we would be taking it.

Pete

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Jill

Any visa that gets you in a is a good visa. However if you can get a better one then why not???

If you want to come and temp is the only way then thats the way you have to go.

sarah

I think some of you are perhaps missing the point here!

A 457 visa is an employer sponsored visa and therefore you have a guaranteed job on arrival. What's more important to you, a regular wage or a few $ in child care benefits.

You did mention the RAH would sponsor you for PR after 3 months, a probationary period effectively.

Why wait months for a 175 visa when you could have a 457 in less than 8 weeks

To me it's a real no brainer.

If you'd like some real advice from a 457 visa holder please PM me.

Guest Trakki
I think some of you are perhaps missing the point here!

A 457 visa is an employer sponsored visa and therefore you have a guaranteed job on arrival. quote]

Does it have to get so nasty???

From personal exprience I would not go for sponsered if I had the opportunity for a PR, if that was the only route, so be it and I would be pleased of getting there. This is why, whne we moved from Hertfordshire to Lincolnshire, I got a job (which I thought would be fantastic for my career, I am a childrens nurse), as it turned out I hated the job, never got accepted by the people who worked there. For 5 months I had to carry on going to this place and hated every moment of it, luckily I managed to find another job that I loved. It was hard being in a new area where I didn't know anyone and in a job I hated, I tried to make the most of it as the place I worked has a great reputation, (have since heard I'm not the only one to have these probs!) It was easy for me to go and get a new job but if I was in a different country being sponsered by my employer in a job I hated I would be stuck and very unhappy.

If the sponsered route was the only one open to me I would take it and be pleased that I could get to Oz as some people are not so lucky. What I am trying to say is that we weighed up all the pros and cons of the different visa and because of the reason above decided on PR. That way if I don't like the job, (which although not sponsered have secured before going) I can easily move.

HTH

THESE ARE MY VIEWS ONLY DON'T JUMP DOWN MY THROAT. ANY VISA IS GREAT THESE ARE MY VIEWS AND MY REASONS FOR GOING FOR PR RATHER THAN SPONSERED.

Guest caz and wayne

We too are having to go down the 457 Temporary Visa route. Our preferred choice was a Permanent Visa although my future employer looked into this and concluded that as I don't have professional qualifications or a degree (just 20 years of experience) this wasn't possible. There are benefits such as the LAHA to the temp visa though which can add up to a sizeable chunk of tax free money each month.

Can anyone who has been through the process before explain how you move onto a permanent visa once you are there? I have heard, and correct me if I am wrong, that you have to leave the country for a period of time. How does that work in practice, for example do you need to pack up a whole house and put your stuff in storage?

Carolyn

Guest Django
There are benefits such as the LAHA to the temp visa though which can add up to a sizeable chunk of tax free money each month.

Indeed, providing there is

intention or expectation of the employee returning to live at the former place of residence on cessation of work at the temporary job locality.

Quote is from Oz taxation site. I looked into this when we first decided to migrate. To me it reads if you don't show intention of returning to the UK you may find you will have to pay it back. Don't quote me on it as I haven't spoken to anyone in the know but thats the way I read it. I hope not because it would be a nice loophole for people on temp visas to exploit.

Mind you it does also state that

If the employee is one of a class of employees, (e.g., diplomats posted overseas, foreign experts employed in Australia, construction workers at a remote construction site, etc.) who could reasonably be expected by the employer to satisfy the tests set out in paragraphs 11-25 of living away from the usual place of residence, and the allowance is paid to compensate for additional costs (as explained in paragraph 28) that the employees could be expected to incur through having to live away from home, the allowance will constitute a living-away-from-home allowance in terms of section 30.

Why does it have to be sooooo complicated. When we first looked into the move I spent hours reseaching all the options. All the pros and cons of each option and not one of them was straight forward.

For those on the temp visas here is the site I used in my research http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?locid='MTR/MT2030/NAT/ATO

Pete

Guest macu68

Hi again

My understanding of going on a temp (457 visa) is that you can secure PR within a short space of time, usually 3-6 months but it is the employer that commits you to work with them for a specific period of time (usually 2 yrs). I have also read somewhere that if you are working for an employer and not really happy to continue working with them you can ask them to release you from the commitment you made. Obviously I can't remember where I read this as I am a total jelly brains with a goldfish memory so I hope it is right. Please let me know if you know differently.

I am sure if you are working in a hospital and not particularly happy in the area you work in there would be some room for you negotiate movement within the same hospital. I know 2 years is not really a long time but it feels like a lifetime when you are not happy.

Hope it goes well for you.