Provisional 475 visa to Permanent

Guest Beth&Martin

Guest Beth&Martin

We haven't got our visa yet (hopefully soon) and not even sold the house, so this question may be a bit premature, but....

How long does the process take to obtain a permanent visa; does it take as long as applying for the original visa.

We have researched (well I have) and discussed this between us, and we're still none the wiser. With our visa only being 3 years and having strict stipulations - one of them being you have to have lived in South Oz for 2 years to be able to apply for perm residency - we will have to get out to Adelaide within the first 12 months of our visa be given. (which with the house market being dead, may not happen :arghh:)

If it takes 6-12 months to get a permanent visa, that means we will have to apply within 12 months of getting there, which, in turn, means we wont have lived there for 2 years before applying for perm visa. Or, do you live there for 2 years, then apply, but this could take us to the end of our 3 years if we didn't get out until late of the first 12 months.

Any 475 - ers, or other provisional visa bods out there, or anybody, that know?

It's all so confusing.:confused::arghh:

Sorry if this sounds a bit garbled and not very easy to understand. The question sounded ok when it was in my head, but now I've typed it it doesn't sound so straight forward.

Guest caoimhe

Hi Beth

We are in the same position as you. Our visa is not thru but when it comes we will only have until 26th Feb 2009 to validate it, house is on the market 2 weeks and no interest. Your worries are exactly like my own :sad:

We think that in the worse case senario we will all have to go over in Feb to validate and then Stephen will have to stay (to try and obtain the years work to go towards perm residency) and I will have to come home with 4 kids to sell the house.:arghh:

I really don't want this to happen but may not have an option

Guest jill wright

We're going on this visa (hopefully)the worse case scenario is for us all to validate visa and Phil to stay and work there. The house would have to sell eventually while I stay in it must admit have got a few concerns with this visa now

Jill

Guest caoimhe

Ok Beth

I have just spoken to our agent and he is unsure of exactly how long it takes to get permanent residency once out there but does not think it will take anywhere near the length as it has taken from here

He also said that when you are there if it doesn't look like you can fill the criteria within the 3 year period (2years residency and 12 months work) you can apply for a 12 month extension.

Hope this helps a bit and I have explained it right

Guest thebigfam

Hi all. Is the Provisional 475 the same as the subclass 457? I am just a bit confused:confused: coz I tried searching for it on the website but I could find the answer.

Anyway, we have applied for Subclass 457 in February, Medicals done in March, visa granted in April (on-line). The problem we have now is we can't go because we still can't sell the house:arghh:We only had 3 viewers but none has expressed interest.:sad:

As With regards to PR visa, someone has told me that within the first 3 months upon arrival in SA, you can apply for PR. But from what I have been reading in this forum, it's not the case. Is it 2 years of stay in AU before we can apply for PR? And which application form to use? Please reply.

Many thanks

If it takes 6-12 months to get a permanent visa, that means we will have to apply within 12 months of getting there, which, in turn, means we wont have lived there for 2 years before applying for perm visa. Or, do you live there for 2 years, then apply, but this could take us to the end of our 3 years if we didn't get out until late of the first 12 months.

You should have one year from the visa being granted (well, actually, from the date of your medicals or police check, whichever is the earliest) to validate your visa. That is when the three years validity of the visa starts ticking down, so you will have three years from the time you enter the country to satisfy the visa criteria. Once you have been living here for two years, you can apply for permanent residency, which hopefully wouldn't take one year to be processed, but if you needed to wait more than two years to apply for the visa (e.g. if you went back to the UK for an extended period of time) and it looked as though your visa might expire, then you could either get an extension, or go on a bridging visa.

Hope this helps.

Kerry

Guest stufi1997

This is an interesting point as we went to the new immigrants meeting when we arrived here, and although they brushed through it as quickly as they could i think that (and don,t quote me on this ) but if you don,t fancy hanging around S.A for the whole of your visa then you don't actually have to. From what we gathered the sa government has sponsored you but now no longer have the power to force you to fullfill it in SA. as long as you inform immigration of where you are moving to and you work and live in any regional parts of Australia then for the time stipulated to the visa then that is ok. Obviously the SA gov, are going to be pissed at this as they want to keep everyone from moving north! We also thought about applying for pm early as i am now on the model but it would cost the full application fee again...(sod that). and although it would be cool to move north for the winter, it aint a bad place to be really is it ? my brotherin law phoned today saying that he had to scrape ice off the van windows this morning before work........(May)) mmmmh! think i'll plug away for a few years here eh?

Guest Nick11
This is an interesting point as we went to the new immigrants meeting when we arrived here, and although they brushed through it as quickly as they could i think that (and don,t quote me on this ) but if you don,t fancy hanging around S.A for the whole of your visa then you don't actually have to. From what we gathered the sa government has sponsored you but now no longer have the power to force you to fullfill it in SA. as long as you inform immigration of where you are moving to and you work and live in any regional parts of Australia then for the time stipulated to the visa then that is ok. Obviously the SA gov, are going to be pissed at this as they want to keep everyone from moving north! We also thought about applying for pm early as i am now on the model but it would cost the full application fee again...(sod that). and although it would be cool to move north for the winter, it aint a bad place to be really is it ? my brotherin law phoned today saying that he had to scrape ice off the van windows this morning before work........(May)) mmmmh! think i'll plug away for a few years here eh?

Yes you are right about moving to another regional state.

Crazy rules though. Lets say you want to go to Perth on sir but your job isn't on the list. All you need to do is apply to sa - get here - and then move. Just as long as you've informed sa - you are fine!

Guest soggy
Yes you are right about moving to another regional state.

Crazy rules though. Lets say you want to go to Perth on sir but your job isn't on the list. All you need to do is apply to sa - get here - and then move. Just as long as you've informed sa - you are fine!

you can move to another state if your on and sir and inform SA but it has to be to another regional area or you wont meet the requirements for PR when you come to apply, unless you apply for a different type of visa altogether, like business visa.

Simon