Parent visa

Nairnandtain

Contributory parents visa (143) does cost around $30,000 and you will also have to put up a bond of $10,000 which is returnable after 10 years provided no claims are made (on centrelink). They would also qualify for Medicare and a Senior's Card (not much else) and have permanent residency.

They would have to have 1/2 or more of their children living in Australia to qualify in the first place. The Visa used to take up to 2 years to obtain (we were lucky and got ours in 13 months nearly 4 years ago) Not sure of the timescale now.

At the moment they could also apply for the 804 aged parent visa (non contributory) which doesn't have the hefty price tag. It costs $3520 for the 1st installment, then I think its another couple of grand on grant.

There is a massive waiting list - may be as long as 30 years, but they can apply onshore and stay whilst they are waiting for it to be processed.

We have just put Dads application in for the 804.

At the moment they could also apply for the 804 aged parent visa (non contributory) which doesn't have the hefty price tag. It costs $3520 for the 1st installment, then I think its another couple of grand on grant.

There is a massive waiting list - may be as long as 30 years, but they can apply onshore and stay whilst they are waiting for it to be processed.

We have just put Dads application in for the 804.

I don't know anything about parent visas, so sorry for not being much help to the OP. In light of the above, though, I do wonder why anybody would pay the $30k+ amount for one type of visa if they can come here and wait for this type of visa instead.

I don't know anything about parent visas, so sorry for not being much help to the OP. In light of the above, though, I do wonder why anybody would pay the $30k+ amount for one type of visa if they can come here and wait for this type of visa instead.

Some people like the certainty of getting a visa quickly I suppose. I think the contributory visa gets processed in about 18 months.....whereas in reality, Dad may live the rest of his days here and never get PR.

There is also the worry of if he does get to the top of the queue in say 10/15 years....he will need to pass the medical and who knows where his health will be then.

For us, there was no option though as he doesn't have the spare $46k that it would have cost for the non contributory visa. We just have to hope for the best and at least he can enjoy his time here in oz with us in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

We are a couple who did have a permanent residency Visa having paid the about A$65000 and put up the A$10000 bond. We started with a temporary Visa about 7 years ago, which counted as the first instalment towards our permanent residency Visa and we paid about A$30000 then. 2 years later we either had to leave the country or apply for permanent residency and pay the balance of the A$65000. We decided to do this as at that time we were intending to live permanently in Australia. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we had to return to the UK in 2010 as the tenants in our house decided to move out. Should add that the pound also dropped to about 1.55 A$ to a £1 which meant that living on an English pension was very difficult to do, as it made things so expensive.

We have lived back in the UK since that time, and are now back in Adelaide again for the 2nd visit since.

WE had a great shock when arriving at the Airport in UK with a permanent residents Visa in our passports, only to be told that they had expired. Fortunately the airline - Emirates helped us to get a Visitors Visa so that we could travel on our booked flight.

WE have now visited the Immigration office in Adelaide, only to be told that our permanent Visa has now expired, due to the fact that we have not lived in Australia for a complete 2 years in the past 5. Should add that we have lived here for about 31/4 years in the past 7. WE were told that we would have to apply for a Residents return VIsa immediately explaining the reasons why we have not lived here permanently, and at the cost of another A$750 they would consider if they would grant it to us, but we would have to return to live in Australia again, which at this time we do not wish to do.

We always thought that when we had purchased a permanent resident Visa it would allow us to return to Australia when we wished, but it appears that this is not the case.

So my message to intended parents emigrating, be aware, once in, it's a job to maintain your Visa if your circumstances change, and could like us, cost you an awful lot of money.

Edited by Hayshake

Hayshake, sorry to hear about this.

My understanding of PR is that that is the requirement for all PR visas, not just parent ones. There is a set period of time you need to reside in Aus for in the 5 years of it, else it will lapse should you move overseas elsewhere. A RRV is something a fair few end up applying for to enable them to return to Aus.

Even if you do meet the requirements and remain there, iirc there is still the 5 year timeframe to it that will require either citizenship or RRV of some sort (forget what it's called atm, I just woke up) to go overseas on holiday and return to Aus. Staying in Aus isn't the issue as PR will still be valid, it's the getting back in.

If you've not done so I'd suggest researching the RRV a little more to understand the ins and outs of it. I have read a fair bit on it from other people but each case is of course different.

Guest sallyanne0073

Hi, we are new to this site, My husband James and myself are looking in to live in Adelaide where my daughter is living, we were told if Daughter sponsored us at 14,000 we would have to find a Contribution of £40.000 for Medicare as she has been out there for 2yrs , ......so still finding out things at moment regards sally

Guest sallyanne0073
My parents, retired aged 67 and 70, want to come and stay permanently with us. My dad reckons that they have to pay £30/40k each to Medicare. Anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks.

At the moment we are told we would have to pay £30/40K each plus my daughter to pay a sponsor of £14,000 , would take under two years!

Hi snifter

so my pr visa runs out June 2016 we are currently in the uk as I had to sponsor my wife's partner visa.

i validated my visa 2012 but have yet to live in adelaide just a holiday.

we will arrive in May this year, my question is will I need a rrv? My visa states must not arrive after June 2016.

so won't complete 2 years before visa expires. Would the rrv only be required after it expires, was intending to speak to immigration

once we are there to clarify.

Many thanks if you can help?

cheers

steve

Hi snifter

so my pr visa runs out June 2016 we are currently in the uk as I had to sponsor my wife's partner visa.

i validated my visa 2012 but have yet to live in adelaide just a holiday.

we will arrive in May this year, my question is will I need a rrv? My visa states must not arrive after June 2016.

so won't complete 2 years before visa expires. Would the rrv only be required after it expires, was intending to speak to immigration

once we are there to clarify.

Many thanks if you can help?

cheers

steve

Your visa entry is valid till June 2016. You don't need a RRV to enter AUS in May 2015.

Sorry, I had to do the school run and stuff, bit more info on the RRV

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx

So if you wish to travel overseas on holiday say, once the June 2016 timeframe has passed, you'll need to get a visa to allow you to renter Aus on your PR. You must get this visa before you depart Australian shores. Its very straightforward to do so in those circumstances. The 2 year timeframe thing mentioned in the parent visa/RRV thing doesn't apply to your current circumstances that I can see.

Should you wish to later on then, once you have met the requirements you can apply for citizenship.

At the moment we are told we would have to pay £30/40K each plus my daughter to pay a sponsor of £14,000 , would take under two years!

That sounds about right for that parent visa. About $100K for two parents by the time everything is totted up, medicals, other expenses, probably a bit less, but in that kind of ballpark. It does mean you get PR far more quickly and are not stuck waiting indefinately.