Aged parent visa info (10 - 12 yr waiting time!!)

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

This topic was mentioned recently "AGED PARENT VISA"!

Having spoke to my agent to see what info they could give me about this visa (as my parents are DESPERATE to follow us out asap)i was so disappointed and quite shocked to be told if they were to apply now and go on the "list" they would have a waiting time of between 10 and 12 YEARS!!!!!!

My god they are 70 already!

Apparently they only issue very few numbers of this particular visa each year hence the huge waithing time!

This is info from my agent so i presume he knows the facts!!!

Hope this helps others thinking the same route maybe for their parents.......be prepared to be disppointed like me!

Gill

Guest Nick11

Having spoke to my agent to see what info they could give me about this visa (as my parents are DESPERATE to follow us out asap)i was so disappointed and quite shocked to be told if they were to apply now and go on the "list" they would have a waiting time of between 10 and 12 YEARS!!!!!!

Apparently they only issue very few numbers of this particular visa each year hence the huge waithing time!

Hope this helps others thinking the same route maybe for their parents.......be prepared to be disppointed like me!

Gill

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!

Our parents will be 6 foot under by then!!!!!

Guest cunnah10
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!

Our parents will be 6 foot under by then!!!!!

That's exactly what i was thinking!!!!!

Absolutely crazy to call it an "aged parent visa" then expect the poor old buggers to hope to still be around after waiting 10 - 12 years from first applying!

Gill

Gill

I don't know if this helps at all, but I have been told by a really kind helpful agent in the UK that so long as you have been in Oz for a year, then your 'aged' parents can go over on a visitors visa - which will last for a year also. Once that year is up, you will have been there for two years and can then sponsor them. they will be issued with a bridging visa until they are granted the aged parents visa.

Hi Gill (and others.)

Gill, your Agent's information will be out of date as soon as 1st July 2008 is upon us.

The facts as as follows:

The Australian Financial Year starts on 1st July every year, whisch is also the start of DIAC's Migration Program Year.

In recent years, up to and including 2007/8, there have been 1,000 Parent (subclass 103) and Aged Parent (subclass 804) visas available each year. The split between them has been 700 offshore Parent 103 visas and 300 onshore Aged Parent 804 vias. Please see the following links:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/qcalc/QDateAnswer.do

What happens with Parent & Aged Parent visas is that when the application is first made it is checked for basic validity and compliance with the time-of-application criteria (eg whether the Sponsor is "settled.") If that is all OK, the Parents/Aged Parents are asked to provide meds and police checks. If those are OK as well then the applicants are placed in the official Queue and are given a Queue Date.

The idea of the Queue Date is that the applicants can then use the Queue Calculator, shown on the second link above. If they tell it their Queue Date, the calculator will tell them how many other Parent are ahead of them in the Queue. Since they also know how many visas are available each year, people can work out how many years they might have to wait.

I don't think they add applicants to the Queue on every working date during the year. I think they do it in batches, perhaps once a month. However not long ago JAJ (one the moderators on British Expats, who used to be a Registered Migration Agent) got the Queue Calculator to work with a Queue Date of 27th November 2007.

If you try the Calculator using JAJ's date, it works with both the offshore Parent visa and with the onshore Aged Parent visa. Using that date, the Calculator produces a figure of 12,000+ people in the offshore Queue for the Parent 13 visa, and some 5,140 people in the onshore Aged Parent 804 Queue.

Divide those by 700 and 300 respectively and in both categories you get a notional wait of about 17.25 years. One has to use a bit of commonsense with that, though. Because of the length of the wait, some Parents will switch into the Contributory Parent Visa queue (which they can do without incurring a charge.) Others will die during the inordinate wait. Others will become ill or so frail that they fail the second set of medicals at the end of the lengthy waiting time. Therefore I reckon that a wait of around 14 years is more likely than 17.25 years.

Which was the bad news.

The good news is that when the 2008/9 Budget was released on 13th May 2007, the Minister announced that he has doubled the number of non-contributory Parent visas available with effect from 1st July 2008. Therefore there will be 1,400 offshore Parent and 600 onshore Aged Parent visas available each year from 1st July 2008 onwards. If you double the number of visas, obviously you halve the waiting time for them.

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=447

I have a great friend in Adelaide and her own Parents are considering the Aged Parent visa for themselves. They (the Parents) returned to the UK a couple of weeks ago after 6 months in Adelaide and I had a long chat with her father on the phone the other night.

Mary's Dad went to the DIAC office in Adelaide twice a couple of months ago. They told him about the possibility of applying for Aged Parent visas, and told him the wait would be about 7 years in the Queue. At the time I was very suspicious because 7 years just wasn't right.

However, it is very probable that the staff at the DIAC office knew that the quota of Parent visas was going to be doubled some time before the Minister made the official announcement. If the staff in the DIAC office were basing their figures on the new quota, then I would say their prediction is probably spot on.

Therefore the situation is very unlikely to be as bad as your agent fears, though you must give yourself time to become "settled" in Oz before your Parents apply.

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=441

Although Alan Collett’s article and the two cases he cites describe Contributory Parents the criteria for all the Parent group visas are exactly the same. The only differences are in the cost, the quotas and the speed with which they are processed.

I'm still a bit nervous about the idea for any Parents who are not headed for SA, but since I have now had first hand feed-back from people who have actually been out in Adelaide recently, researching it there, I am now confident that it is well worth considering for Parents who will be heading for SA.

Even in SA, though, I would say the same as I said on my thread the other day. Go to the DIAC office in Adelaide yourselves and do all the research again before you decide on the best options for your own Parents. Pete has provided the link to my earlier thread in his reply to this thread.

Best wishes

Gill

I don't know if this helps at all, but I have been told by a really kind helpful agent in the UK that so long as you have been in Oz for a year, then your 'aged' parents can go over on a visitors visa - which will last for a year also. Once that year is up, you will have been there for two years and can then sponsor them. they will be issued with a bridging visa until they are granted the aged parents visa.

Hiya

If the Parents request a stay of up to 12 months in Australia on a subclass 676 visa, DIAC will nearly always allow a 12 month stay. Howeverin this event they are also 99% likely to impose Condition 8503 - no further stay - on the visa. Please see here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/52cImposition_of_visa_condition.htm

The effect of Condition 8503 is that it would prevent an onshore application for an Aged Parent visa from being a valid application. The application would be rejected and the fee refunded.

The Parent would then be forced to go offshore in order to apply for a Contributory Parent or Parent visa instead - ie the offshore verseions of trhe visas,

DIAC can impose Condition 8503 on a subclass 676 visitor visa whenever they wish. It is entirely up to them. However experience shows that they are less likely to impose Condition 8503 if a six month stay is requested rather than 12 months. The sublass 676 visa is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/index.htm

Best wishes

Gill

Guest the4hopes
:biglaugh:alex,

Just because the Queen is still Head of state doesn't mean England owns Australia. They parted their ways in1901, there are many people here who would like to see that union jack off the flag:biglaugh:

That is really good news!!! I completely agree.We won't be bringing our union jack, havent even got one anyway!!!

Laura x