Ielts re-grade

JoeandCarrie

Hi all

Got my second IELTS results scores today (I had to take the academic one first for my nursing registration and anmac) I need to get 8's in all section for the visa application. I got Speaking 8.5, Reading 8.5, Listening 8.5 & Writing 7.5!! So frustrating!!! The thing is I got 8.5 in the academic module writing section. Does anyone know if you can combine tests?

Im considering asking for a re-mark? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Carrie

you can't combine two tests... which is by the way very stupid. however, if you managed once to have 8.5 in writing, you may asked as said kelbert a remark. I have done it once and got 0.5 extra (speaking).

good luck for this awful and expensive exam....

So you took forth one Gwen? It's so frustrating having to get 8's across the board as I've only got 1 years work experience and I believe you need 3 years experience to claim points on the visa. If I only needed the 7's I could have put forward my first exam results...just losing a little confidence in being able to pass it now and obviously can't apply for visa without it must get revising I guess!!! X

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very

clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who

do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

There are alternative tests of English accepted by the DIBP.

yes I did! writing killed me (and speaking once)! English is not my first language and I needed seven in each band for my position! I always had 7.5 as a overall band, so this was pretty stupid to do and redo that test! Actually, I worked with a teacher for 10 jours between test 3 and test 4. She explained me how to write "british" test and it worked. And I practice again and again... Got 7.5 at the last writing test!

If you think you need 8 to claim points on the visa, maybe you should make sure you don't have enough points with the others parts (age, experience, qualifications...). Maybe an migrant agent could tell you. I remembered our migrant agent told us before we signed any contract with her that I just needed 7 in IELTS and not 8, so she knew while studying our case how many points I already had.

Regarding the test itself, it took me a long time because the tests are fully booked in France and you have to wait two months before each session. A friend here in Australia registered to 6 sessions in one month and went to 4 of them until she got the results she expected. A waste of money of course but at least, she managed to get the results she wanted.

I am sure you will get there... think about a short private course with an experienced teacher perhaps?

I too got 7.5 for writing on the first shy, got two 9's and one 8.5. Was so annoyed that I had to do it again, and really didn't have time to do practice exams before I sat for it for the 2nd time, and when I did, low and behold I got the required marks! It's just one of those things I guess, and in the end it's all so worth it, we arrive in 23 days and 17 hours!!!!!! ?

• 3 weeks later...
IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very

clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who

do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

There are alternative tests of English accepted by the DIBP.

Are these other tests recognised by ANMAC though? They only mention IELTS and OET on their website... thanks

• 2 months later...