Commuting to Adelaide

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

Sorry - Another question from me. We are looking At living in Adelaide Hills region or around Port Noarlunga/Seaford Rise/Aldinga beach. Is anyone able to give me a rough estimate on commuting to Adelaide from both areas please? We will have to work in Adelaide for our professions and currently commute to Newcastle from Washington which can take anything up to 40 mins (but have done longer when we live din Brum). We haven't been to Oz and don't think we will be able to visit until we get our visa so we are in the dark over some issues Many thanks, Lisa

Guest cunnah10
Sorry - Another question from me. We are looking At living in Adelaide Hills region or around Port Noarlunga/Seaford Rise/Aldinga beach. Is anyone able to give me a rough estimate on commuting to Adelaide from both areas please? We will have to work in Adelaide for our professions and currently commute to Newcastle from Washington which can take anything up to 40 mins (but have done longer when we live din Brum). We haven't been to Oz and don't think we will be able to visit until we get our visa so we are in the dark over some issues Many thanks, Lisa

Hi can't help with info as we are not there yet but hope to be this August!

We are also looking a possibly living in Port Noarlunga South or seaford and hubby will have to travel to work (although as yet we not sure how far from there his job will be yet)

He does travel a good hr or 2 even just to get to work now even some days here in the uk!

Good luck

Gill

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I would asy seaford is a good 45 - 50 mins form the city and Aldinga another 10 mins on from there.

These are rough times and i am sure someone will correct me if am wrong. I havent done either of those trips in peak traffic times!

There is the expressway that goes from down south to bedford park which cuts out the south road as far as Bedford park,but IMO opinion that is the worse bit of south rd.....from Bed park to the city.

sarah

Guest lippy

I agree with Sarah re driving times into Adelaide and have found that you can add about another 10-15mins for rush hour!. The train from Noarlunga takes between 30-45mins depending on whether or not it is an express and they run almost every 10-15mins - good value for money also!

Hi there - Andy and I both commute into the city for work- We are currently in Seaford Rise and are usually travelling in against the expressway, not in rush hour and it takes 45 -50 minutes. We are moving to Aldinga too - that would add an extra 10 minutes on to the journey. When the expressway is heading in the right direction it takes roughly 10 minutes to get from Seaford to Flinders - and its pretty easy driving really.

Lindsey

Hi Lisado.

I can't comment on driving times as I don't (and wouldn't want to) drive to the city.

I use the cheap, reliable public transport system (trains anyway). The express train (limited stops) from Noarlunga Centre to the City takes just over 40 minutes (add a few more for a regular train). The direct train takes only 33 minutes but they're much less frequent - one at 7:17 and another at 7:39. You can get a bus from Seaford to the Noarlunga Interchange and, with traffic etc, you'll be close to an hour all-in, more for the slower trains, and that's not door-to-door.

The city itself is pretty much walkable so any job in the CBD shouldn't require any public transport use from the train station.

I live in Hallett Cove and, door-to-door with a lift from home to the station (by car), it takes me 55 minutes. I used to take the bus to the train station but, what with waiting for the 1 bus that would get me to the train on time, the journey stretched to 1:15.

We did have a good look at Seaford/Moana, as it's a great place with lovely beaches, but I didn't want to waste more time travelling than was absolutely necessary. The public transport costs wouldn't increase if you were living in Seaford, by the way, as you have 2 hours of Metro travel, once you validate your ticket, and a weekly (10 trip) ticket costs $26.90.

Parking in the city starts at $9/day, if you get there early...

Check out www.adelaidemetro.com.au for bus/train routes/timetables.

Justin.

I live in Seaford and I commute to the City every weekday. It takes me 5 minutes to drive to Noarlunga Interchange where I park the car for $2 a day. I get the Express Train at 7.39 into the City which takes 50 minutes (there is no faster train than this) and I walk to work from the station which takes 5 minutes. I get in to work at 8.30 every morning.

I leave my workplace at 5pm and arrive back home at 6pm every night.

So an hour door to door each day from Seaford.

Hope this helps.

I live in Seaford and I commute to the City every weekday. It takes me 5 minutes to drive to Noarlunga Interchange where I park the car for $2 a day. I get the Express Train at 7.39 into the City which takes 50 minutes (there is no faster train than this) and I walk to work from the station which takes 5 minutes. I get in to work at 8.30 every morning.

I leave my workplace at 5pm and arrive back home at 6pm every night.

So an hour door to door each day from Seaford.

Hope this helps.

The Express is supposed to arrive at 8:12...I get the later train from Hallett Cove which gets in (according to your calculations) 3 minutes earlier...?? I'd spend the extra few minutes driving slower to Noarlunga and get the next train, before you get a speeding ticket ;-)

By the way, if your train arrives at 8.29 (50 minutes), you don't have 5 minutes walk to work and arrive at 8.30...

In any case, 1 hour, door-to-door, is very good going.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi there - Andy and I both commute into the city for work- We are currently in Seaford Rise and are usually travelling in against the expressway, not in rush hour and it takes 45 -50 minutes. We are moving to Aldinga too - that would add an extra 10 minutes on to the journey. When the expressway is heading in the right direction it takes roughly 10 minutes to get from Seaford to Flinders - and its pretty easy driving really.

Lindsey

I reckon the expressway is good if its going your way and you need to go no further than Flinders! But the bit of south rd after flinders is the worse bit traffic lights and 60 all the way:arghh:. I wouldnt want to do that daily:huh:

I reckon the expressway is good if its going your way and you need to go no further than Flinders! But the bit of south rd after flinders is the worse bit traffic lights and 60 all the way:arghh:. I wouldnt want to do that daily:huh:

It's a similar story going the Brighton Road/Anzac Highway route too really...the South Road is definitely to be avoided though.

Guest Guzzler&Sas
When the expressway is heading in the right direction it takes roughly 10 minutes to get from Seaford to Flinders - and its pretty easy driving really.

Lindsey

By telephone maybe;),

Guzzler

Guest Lisado

Thanks for all the help on this one. I think we have decided to settle in the region of Port Noarlunga/Seaford and it helps knowing the commute may be better than what I have done in both Birmungham and Newcastle.

Many thanks again for the valuable info thi sforum brings

Lisa:)

Guest cunnah10
Thanks for all the help on this one. I think we have decided to settle in the region of Port Noarlunga/Seaford and it helps knowing the commute may be better than what I have done in both Birmungham and Newcastle.

Many thanks again for the valuable info thi sforum brings

Lisa:)

May see you soon we are hoping to settle same area!

Gook luck with your new adventure!!

Gill

Guest moonraker1959

Hi all,I used to live in the Adelaide Hills and it depends where in the hills you want to live.If its fairly close to the freeway (which goes from Adelaide to Melbourne)on a good day would take you 45mins to an hour,longer in heavy peak times and lots of hairpin bends to contend with.Public transport is available from some of the towns but vary in how often they run etc,some only run once in the morning and again at tea time!!!Not very flexible!

Guest Lisado

Thanks Gill and everyone else. I am so very excited for the new adventure - its becoming an obsession I think.

I look forward ot meeting people before andafter we move

x

• 1 month later...
Guest Lulujim
They did away with the hairpin bends and built a tunnel through the first lot of hills. The freeway no longer goes through Eagle -on-the-Hill.

Hi Rachel,

Could you advise how long it takes to get from the hills to the coast? I guess it depends where exactly in the hills you are, but a rough ball park figure would be very helpful indeed! The property is very good value for money, with lots of land which is ideal - and if I can get over the fear of spiders being prevelant there, I could consider it for my OH!!

Thank you, Alexis

If you live in the Belair, Blackwood Coromandel valley part of the hills you can be at the coast in 20-30 mins. Stirling, Aldgate, about 30 - 40 mins but you come down the freeway first. About 40-50 mins frm Mt Barker area. The hills can offer good value for money, probably a bit dearer than down south with the new land releases, but it's a nice environment.