Citizenship Application - How Long?

Hello,

I'll be applying for my citizenship in September once I'm eligible and I'm just curious if anyone on here has recently applied or gotten their citizenship and could advise on how long it took? My local council is the Unley City Council... it looks like they normally only have 2 citizenship ceremonies per year... Citizenship Day (17 September) and Australia Day. I'm guessing if I were to apply on 1 September I wouldn't make the September ceremony and would have to wait till Australia Day. Anyway if anyone has any experiences they would like to share that would be great :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think it can vary, some people seem to wait a few months, others 5 or 6.

All you can do is apply when you are able and then sit tight and wait for your allocation and ceremony date to come through. From reading it can be you get a couple of weeks notice of the ceremony.

Good luck with it all :)

I'll be applying for my citizenship in September once I'm eligible and I'm just curious if anyone on here has recently applied or gotten their citizenship and could advise on how long it took? :)

Hi, and welcome :)

It sounds like you are in a hurry?

If you have a good reason why you need the ceremony quickly, maybe have a word with the council?

I seem to remember someone on here needed a speedy ceremony, and they were allowed to go to a different council. I might be wrong, but hey, it's worth a go.

:cool: LC

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your replies!

Well I am on an RSMS 187 visa at the moment and I just need to get 1 year of PR under my belt to be eligible to apply for citizenship, as I've already been in Australia for 4 years and 9 months now. So my citizenship eligibility will come before completing 2 years of employment with my sponsoring employer (since the date that the visa was granted). Obviously once the citizenship is granted the visa will cease to exist and I can freely move on from my sponsoring employer. So I am hoping that if I apply for my citizenship in September my ceremony will be by Australia Day next year at the latest! If it's earlier than that, that's OK too :)