Centerlink Benefits for new Residents

chatterX

Hi There,

I got permanent residency just two days back. Now I am looking for centrelink benefits that I am entitled to.

Bit confusing so thought of getting some help through this forum. I have a daughter who goes to childcare and I pay full fees about 450 per week, which is too much. I was told that if family income is more than 80000 we don't any benefit.

Please could someone advise me what can I claim.

Thanks

Edited by chatterX

You can only claim certain family related benefits for the first two years, which I suspect are the benefits you are referring to. There are two types of family tax benefit - A and B - which are both means tested. Family tax benefit B is only paid to single parents and families with one income so if you are both working you will not get any family tax benefit B. Family tax benefit A is paid to low income families even where you both work. The amount you will get will depend on your household income and the number of children you have.

In addition to the family tax benefits there is also help with childcare costs. Childcare benefit is means tested and the more you earn the less you get. Childcare rebate is not means tested and pays 50% of your out of pocket costs but you have to apply for childcare benefit to get the childcare rebate. You can apply for childcare benefit even if you know you will not qualify for it. There are also work and study tests to qualify for any childcare help, but basically if you are both working you should qualify.

The link provided above should help to give some idea of how much you may get in benefits. Just bear in mind though that the recent budget proposed a number of changes to the family tax benefits and the childcare assistance schemes so the amount you get may change in the not too distant future. It's also worth remembering that if you are over paid any benefits you will have to pay them back so it is worth overestimating your income for the year when making a claim rather than risk underestimating. They will pay out any underpayments at the end of the financial year once your tax return has been submitted and processed.

Wasn't being funny just remarking how good value that seemed. ££60~70 per day was average then, discounts for a full week and second child. And we were in Lancashire not London.

It was a huge chunk from my wages, I was glad when they could go to nursery school for free.

i have no idea what the childcare fees are here it just seemed pretty good for a weeks care that's all.

I don't know how much day care for under 5's costs but OHSC during the holidays only costs me $229 for one child for the week. $450 for daycare seems in line with these kinds of costs. Maybe it shows daycare is much cheaper here than the UK.

Wasn't being funny just remarking how good value that seemed. ££60~70 per day was average then, discounts for a full week and second child. And we were in Lancashire not London.

It was a huge chunk from my wages, I was glad when they could go to nursery school for free.

i have no idea what the childcare fees are here it just seemed pretty good for a weeks care that's all.

450 for a weeks means $90 for a day (5 days a week). And Actually its $93. I find it hard because now I can buy a house but for that I have no savings.