Trying to migrate back to the uk - help!

Nicky

Does anyone know how I stand with moving back to the UK permanently? I've got dual citizenship and Australian passport. I've still got hold of my UK passports although they have expired. I went to book my tickets back to the UK and the travel agent told me I wouldn't be allowed to board on a one way ticket on an Australian passport! This seems crazy - I haven't relinquished my UK citizenship! I don't want the cost of booking return tickets. Is the only other way to get UK passports online? Is it possible just to present my UK passports as evidence of my citizenship along with my Aussie passports? I need to be travelling in 5/6 weeks!

Apparently if you can prove you are a British citizen that is enough for immigration in the UK. The airlines can be a bit harder though as if you turn out not to be entitled to enter the country then they have to pay to take you back. I've had one not want to let me board for a country I didn't even need a visa for as a UK citizen.

I'm not sure what the turn around would be on a new passport. You might just have time.

Hmm maybe so lol well she's freaked me out! I can't seem to get a definite answer from anyone though which is frustrating. I've spoken to the British Embassy here, the Nationality department and the Home Office in the UK and no one seems to know. They can only tell me how to go about getting a UK passport which I know how to do anyway. If time wasn't an issue then it wouldn't be a problem. I just don't want to book a one way ticket and be turned away by the airline. Obviously I don't need a visa as I'm a UK citizen anyway. Oh how I wish I'd renewed my UK passports now not got Australian ones lol I'm spreading the word to all my UK friends to make sure they keep they UK passports current just to be safe!

Apparently if you can prove you are a British citizen that is enough for immigration in the UK. The airlines can be a bit harder though as if you turn out not to be entitled to enter the country then they have to pay to take you back. I've had one not want to let me board for a country I didn't even need a visa for as a UK citizen.

I'm not sure what the turn around would be on a new passport. You might just have time.

Thanks Blossom. I'm can't see why I wouldn't be entitled to enter back into the UK as I am a citizen and certainly wouldn't need a visa. I think the problem has come about because it says Australian as nationality on my Australian passport, not dual citizen. Is it ok just to carry my UK passports as evidence of citizenship although they're expired, you think this will be sufficient?

I'm sure it's fine to enter the UK on a one way ticket if using an Aus passport. Carry your expired UK ones also. I've read on our sister site people doing this.

I think the travel agent is being cautious.

Thanks Snifter. Do you know of any official office who can confirm this though? I'd rather have it from the horses mouth for peace of mind. The flight I was going to book was with Emirates. Perhaps I should phone them and ask the question.

Whoops, bit of a boo boo there Nicky, always worth keeping British passport up to date even if you hate the place. My other half recently applied for a new British passport using the online system, although it stated passport may take 10 weeks or so, the new one arrived in a touch under 3 weeks, although her old passport was still current. Personally if I were in your position I'd book the flights online without travel agent, carry both passports, travel on Aussie passport, British as back up proof of British citizenship. If you find yourself locked up by British immigration, I'll withdraw my advice.:biggrin: