Holiday Home

Sprinter

We are looking at the possibility of buying a holiday home in Aus. The F.I.R.B. have confirmed that it would need to be a new property and there is a fair chance it would be approved. We are retired UK Brits and as yet cannot find what visa we would need to come and go to Aus. Will be spending a few more hours trawling the net to find an official email contact to ask, once the old eyes have refocused from yesterdays efforts. Any one got any ideas. Thanks in advance.

My parents come here every year for between 3 and 6 months.

If they stay for 6 months on the ETA visa then they have to break the trip and fly out for a day...Bali, New Zealand etc.

I recently posted a thread about a possible longer stay visa that would allow them to stay for 6 months without leaving...but I believe that this would cause problems for the following visit? I was told to rather post the thread on PIO but haven't done so yet. Am also interested in a longer stay visa as per above...

First I would like to thank all the respondents for their extremely helpful replies, it is really appreciated.

I have yet to find an official answer from the authorities, (waiting replies from various departments), and once again so far with various enquiries to various departments about different things all have so far been helpful with straight forward answers, not tied up in legal mumbo jumbo.

I think we would have to be careful about how long we stay in relation to which country is our main home regarding taxes etc. but that is a question for the legal and taxation experts if and when we find if we can get a visa and the regulations regarding that visa.

If I get any "official" information I will post on here as I am sure there are/will be others in a similar situation.

We have looked into the retirement visa, but it looked as if it was for a longer stay than we would really need.

We are being a bit selfish I suppose, but we enjoy the old car/bike scene in the UK during the UK summer, and similar during the Aus summer and it would be an enjoyable way to see out our later years spending time in both countries. Selfish I know, but you don't work all your life not to enjoy what you have left.