Airlines - Advice please

Guest Trakki

Guest Trakki

Hi all just wondering if anyone has flown with children with Malaysia Airlines via Kuala Lumpa. Also any other airline via anywhere. We really wanted to fly singapore airlines via singapore but if all our plans work out then we are hoping to fly in July but singapore airlines seem to have no available flights for a family of 6 in July. Any recommendations or cautions greatly recieved. We really (if we can) want to leave before summer hols start as it will cost us and extra £1000.

Thanks in advance

Guest Aussie pat

Have flown both SIA and QANTAS with our kids and have no complaints. Also flew Cathay Pacific with my 6 week old daughter on my own in the past. No major complaints except they kept over heating her bottles of formula and I had to wait for them to cool. They meant well but though and were very helpful otherwise. Singapore airport is good for amusing the kids as lots of facilities.

Guest dave&jacky
Hi all just wondering if anyone has flown with children with Malaysia Airlines via Kuala Lumpa. Also any other airline via anywhere. We really wanted to fly singapore airlines via singapore but if all our plans work out then we are hoping to fly in July but singapore airlines seem to have no available flights for a family of 6 in July. Any recommendations or cautions greatly recieved. We really (if we can) want to leave before summer hols start as it will cost us and extra £1000.

Thanks in advance

Hi Tracey,

We flew with Malaysia airlines but it was just the 2 of us no kids our kids are grown up now,but we found the flight very good also it was the quickest way to get to adelaide think it was about 17/18 hours so that as got to help with 4 kids with you:arghh: check out the time with Malaysia but i think it was about that time and we had a very good flight and stopped off for a day/night in Kula Lumpa Jacky even said she thought she could of carried straight through with out stopping over,we have also flown with Singapore airlines and BA and we found Malaysia as good as either of them.

Good luck dave&jacky.

Guest Trakki

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am just trying to get as much info as possible. I have only ever flown once and hated it:arghh:, not scared just didn't like it so am really nervous and want to make the experience as good and exciting as possible for the children and also as easy as pos for me and Pete. Anyone want 4 kids for a few days after we arrive so me and Pete can get our sanity back??:biglaugh:

Anyway thanks again and any more experiences, advice, recommendations, things to avoid etc greatly received.

Guest Devon

Hi Tracey

I would second that Malaysian airlines are as friendly as Singapore airlines. Can't help regarding children though sorry. Good luck though

Cathy

Any of the main asian airlines are good to fly on with a family. There is another airline that gets overlooked Royal Brunei air, sfairly new, but has brunei money behind it, so no dodgy castoff planes. This airline will allow you to have upto 2 teenagers(under 18) per adult, travelling at child fares. They fly through Brunei, but unfortunately only to Darwin, Perth, Brisbane or Sydney. However for those of you travelling with over 12s, it may still be cheaper as you can get a flight from Sydney/ Brisbane to Adelaide for a little over $100.

Hi Tracey,

We flew Cathay Pacific with our 10, 8 & 3 year old last October and couldn't fault them. All of the Asian airlines are great. Hong Kong Airport doesn't have a tremendous amount for the kids to do but there was one reasonable play area and we were only there for 4 hours. We decided to go right through but when we go for good we plan to spend a few nights in Singapore as I did find it difficult at the other end (and that was with a set of rested grandparents!!!) Daniel kept waking up at 2 or 3am for about 4 days ready to watch TV and play. I WAS SO TIRED!!!! I'd lend you the grandparents if I could!!!

Liz

Hi,

We flew just after Xmas with our two kids by Malaysia Airlines and we thought they were excellent. The flights seemed to pass really quickly (even though I had the flu!) The first leg is about twelve hours and then a two/three hour stop and seven hours on to Adelaide. Good food, enough room and reasonable in flight entertainment and very pleasant with the kids (served them meals first and so on.) As the first longer flight was over night we really didn't need half the stuff we packed to entertain ourselves with and it wasn't anywhere near as daunting or uncomfortable as I remembered (from flying to Oz years before).

Guest Sharon and Paul

Thanks in advance

Hi Tracey, How about Buddy Holly airways? :biglaugh: OK i know bad one ! I used Quantas and they were very good . ATB Paul

Guest caoimhe

Hi Tracey

I flew with Malaysian on my own a few years back, no kids.

The are very professional, the inflight entertainment was great I know my kids would love it as like a lot of airlines they are tiny screens on the seat backs with your own hand held contoller for games and movies.

The only thing that would make me unsure was the food, I wasn't fussed and I spent 9 years working for airlines so have sampled quite a lot of airline food and don't think I would be as fussy as most. I don't know about your kids but I don't think mine would have eaten it-although some airlines do allow you to pre-order kids meals!! or you could feed them at the airport and then bring sandwiches and fruit on board-just my opinion.

Kuala Lumpur airport was lovely and spotlessly clean I think they also have a transit hotel too

Good luck with the choice

Hi Tracey, we flew with Malaysian last July and they were very, very good. The crew were really helpful. We took our car seats with us onto the plane and you can imagine the struggle we had with two car seats, two small children and 4 pieces of hand luggage, but the crew took the children and fussed over them whilst we put the car seats into place and stowed everything away. The kids had their food first (not the best meal in the world but it was midnight and they didn't really care that much...!) and our meal was ok also. KL is a nice airport, plenty of places to eat and drink and the flight crew on the second leg were as helpful as the first. My one tip would be to take milk with you for your youngest if he still has a bottle - it's virtually impossible to get at KL so take a couple of made up bottles or take cartons of pre-mixed formula. Oh, other big tip, be sure to pick up your stroller when you get off the first flight, otherwise it goes off to baggage reclaim which is bleeping miles away!:arghh:

Guest Aussie pat

The tip about strollers is wise. Don't presume the stroller will automatically be given to you when you need it. Make sure you keep pointing out to staff exactly when you need it back, that way there shouldn't be any misunderstandings. I had a problem when flying in the past with our kids due to this. It was eventually sorted but not until after a long wait with tired children.

Guest moonraker1959

Hi We have flown with malaysian airlines in the past and they were fantastic.I was flying back to see my family (I currently live in the UK)and on the way there we had an 8 hour stop-over.Checked into the golden lounge,can't recall how much it was but was reasonable.its upstairs in the airport.Anyway you can take a shower (they supply towels)and help yourself to food and drinks for a set price.On the way back to the UK we stopped in Kuala Lumper for 4 days,had a fab time,and it really helped with the jet lag breaking up the journey!My kids were 11 and 9 and they had lots to do,games to play,movies,kids magazines ect and their own separate kids meals.

Guest Trakki

Thankyou so much everyone for your info on flights. I think it will probably be Malaysian airways that we will be using so glad to hear that they are OK.

Thanks again