189 visa validation?

peteandniccy

Hello,

A wee question about the 189 visa. Do we as a family ie my wife myself and two daughters all have to go to Australia to validate the visa. My wife is the main applicant. The reason I ask is my wife and I had hoped we could head over for a couple of weeks to validate while the kids stay at home with grandparents. It'll save us money and we can go round schools, houses etc and get stuff done prior to moving over.

Thank you Pete and Niccy

Glad the search feature was able to help you out :)

And yes, everyone has to validate :)

See if you can find some cheap flights with an overnight covered by the airline or some such? They can be a bit cheaper. Also when you are coming to validate will make a difference in the price of the tickets. To save on accommodation you might want to try the house sitting website or AirBnb perhaps? Many short term rentals are booked up well in advance and during busy periods. We have a few members on here offering short term rentals in our Rentals Available forum here http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/rentals-available/ Might be worth contacting some of them. If your kids can share a room and so you could rent a smaller property or something might also be good.

I honestly don't think there is much point in viewing houses etc on a reccie (unless its just to be nosy and see what your $$ will get you in a rental). Or schools. You could end up renting in a totally different area of live somewhere where the school is zoned and you are outside of it. Better to wait for that stuff once you move permanently and work it into the first couple of weeks of your arrival.

Rental opens are often in the evenings around teatime, buying opens on weekends over the middle part of the day. They don't do one on one viewings usually although sometimes will let you view somewhere if you are really keen and can't make a buying open for some reason.

I'd make the most of the holiday, check out places, explore a bit, see what areas in general appeal but perhaps don't narrow it down too much to a single suburb until you've had a bit more time to get to grips with them. Took us a good 4-5 months to work out what we wanted from an area, what we didn't want and so on before we bought. Thankfully we didn't have to settle on a 6-12 month rental within a few weeks of arriving as we stayed with family. Else we'd have been stuck somewhere we really didn't want to be in the longer term and looking to move quite quickly. Of course, some do find an area they love from the off and settle there. Can work both ways. I'd just advise to keep an open mind as your needs and wants may change once you've had time to reflect.

If you really want to do all that (houses, schools etc) and plan to move quite quickly (and within the validation timeframe) I'd suggest not bothering with a reccie and save the cash and just go for the move. I do understand though you may want a reccie regardless even if you plan to move 6 months later.

I think your biggest concern should be jobs, where the work is and if it is available. Lots of jobs see hundreds of applicants and also some of the jobs in demand are in more rural areas or a long way from Adelaide. Sometimes, the market here in and around Adelaide is rather overflowing with people seeking work.

Hello,

A wee question about the 189 visa. Do we as a family ie my wife myself and two daughters all have to go to Australia to validate the visa. My wife is the main applicant. The reason I ask is my wife and I had hoped we could head over for a couple of weeks to validate while the kids stay at home with grandparents. It'll save us money and we can go round schools, houses etc and get stuff done prior to moving over.

Thank you Pete and Niccy

Hi Pete and Niccy

Welocome to Forum

Yes, everyone need atleast an entry to validate the visa.Because if any reason your kids stay overseas and u guys enter here, then after specific time(first entry date )your child visa will be void.

Thanks

Sounds good.

Aldinga is right down south, about 45km from the CBD (city centre). Its a good place to start off those early weeks, lovely coastline. Not sure of the travel time into the CBD during rush hour if you needed it but would imagine it could be quite long. Also if you want to explore to view other areas as potential places to settle in the longer term it coud be quite a drive but you'll at least see lots of suburbs etc as you drive through :cute:

Work wise, depending on what you are doing and where, it may not be a viable place to settle in the longer term. On the other hand, it might fit in well with everything. Same with schools.

Hi Snifter, We visited Aldinga when we were over and were luck as our friends have a house there to rent short term. Its all ready to move in and with no hassle with references etc. As you say Aldinga is a bit of a drive from Adelaide but short term we don't mind. At moment our ideal situation would be to get work in Noarlunga, and live there, Willunga or McLaren vale however time will tell if this is where we settle. So many unknowns....However I have to say advice from people like yourself is absolutely invaluable:biggrin:

Cheers Petea and Niccy

Edited by peteandniccy