Visas query (family of 4)

jimmy81

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is entirely possible to arrive in Australia on a holiday visa (from UK) and then sort out the obtaining of a more permanent visa once you are actually in Australia?

My mother lives in Adelaide and she will eligible to apply for Aus citizenship in October. She is also engaged to an Aus citizen. My fiancee (we are getting married in Sept) and I plus our two kids all came over on holiday for 6 weeks over the festive period and all loved it over there. Upshot is we have our hearts set on moving over asap.

My fiancee is supposed to be starting uni here in Glasgow to study physio but one of the the things we have been thinking about is her completing her studies over in Adelaide. I have looked into it a little bit and one of the things I've read is that If we all were to come over on her student visa I would be restriced to working 40 hours / fortnight (part time hours). I'm not sure if there is any way around this.

I currently work as a Project Engineer in the UK defence industry and qulifications in Mechanical Engineering. We have also just sold our house so have money in the bank which we could prove, plus we would have my mum's house to stay when we arrive obviously. I'm guessing my mum being a Aus citizen from October would also lend a bit of weight to any visa application?

I wouldn't want to arrive over there and end up getting "thrown out" as it were after our holiday visa expires but sitting here reading through all the visas seems so confusing and also takes time when to be honest all we want is to be over there as soon as possible.

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be most appreciated.

Thanks, James

Welcome to the forum. If you are struggling to understand your visa options I would suggest having a consultation with a MARA registered migration agent. I'm not sure what the options are for family visas but I don't think they are a realistic option although an agent would be able to confirm.

To be able to obtain a skille permanent visa you have to have a skill on one of the skilled lists, know as the SOL and the CSOL and be able to obtain 60 or more points. It can take sometime to put together all the necessary evidence for a visa which might be tricky to do if you were here on holiday.

Bear in mind also, that you would be up for International fees if your partner studied here. Check with the appropriate Uni how much they would be. Also, physio. is a fairly difficult, high scoring course to get into, but if she were paying international fees she may get priority.

I agree that you would be best talking with a Registered migration agent, even if you apply for the visa yourself after consultation with them. If you overstay your tourist visa, there is a long exclusion period before you are allowed to apply again for any sort of visa.

I hate to be negative, but your plan doesn't sound like a great one.

Firstly, you need a job on the sol or csol to get a permanent visa. Having family here makes no difference (unless you go for a last remaining relative visa, but most people wouldn't qualify for that).

I came on a student visa. Student fees are mega high. As has been said, you'll be paying international fees, plus having to have health insurance. You are probably looking at about $20k plus per year just there (can be much more depending on courses). And you are right. Both of you are limited to 20 hours a week working. There is no way around this. My ex and I lived in a cheap house, had two cheap cars, no kids, and just broke even without taking into account the student fees and health insurance fees. Although you wouldn't have to pay international school fees for the kids, all schools have some fees that everyone has to pay. And if your kids are at preschool age you'd have to pay and couldn't claim any of the rebates.

Then you come to the fact that it's near impossible to get a permanent visa once you have finished the course. You face the very probable chance that after paying out all that money, starting a life you enjoy, that you then have to leave the country.

As for the coming on a tourist visa, if you were going to get a student visa you'd just apply for that from the UK. You can arrive a couple of months before the course starts (but can't work, either of you, until it starts).

Probably the best way to go is for your partner to qualify as a physio in the UK then apply for a permanent visa. I'm not 100% sure that occupation is on the list but its quite likely it is. In the grand scheme of things it's a few years out of the rest of your lives but at least you will have security of a career/qualifications and a much better chance of success obtaining permanant residency.

Hi all,

I was wondering if it is entirely possible to arrive in Australia on a holiday visa (from UK) and then sort out the obtaining of a more permanent visa once you are actually in Australia?

My mother lives in Adelaide and she will eligible to apply for Aus citizenship in October. She is also engaged to an Aus citizen. My fiancee (we are getting married in Sept) and I plus our two kids all came over on holiday for 6 weeks over the festive period and all loved it over there. Upshot is we have our hearts set on moving over asap.

My fiancee is supposed to be starting uni here in Glasgow to study physio but one of the the things we have been thinking about is her completing her studies over in Adelaide. I have looked into it a little bit and one of the things I've read is that If we all were to come over on her student visa I would be restriced to working 40 hours / fortnight (part time hours). I'm not sure if there is any way around this.

I currently work as a Project Engineer in the UK defence industry and qulifications in Mechanical Engineering. We have also just sold our house so have money in the bank which we could prove, plus we would have my mum's house to stay when we arrive obviously. I'm guessing my mum being a Aus citizen from October would also lend a bit of weight to any visa application?

I wouldn't want to arrive over there and end up getting "thrown out" as it were after our holiday visa expires but sitting here reading through all the visas seems so confusing and also takes time when to be honest all we want is to be over there as soon as possible.

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be most appreciated.

Thanks, James

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about developing a viable visa strategy?