Moving to Adelaide in June - location help required!

rha1983

Hi everyone! Finally got my 190! I'm moving to Adelaide at the end of June, and in the process of finalizing my shared accommodation for the first three months. Just wanted an opinion, in terms of quicker access to the CBD, which is a better option: Fitzroy near North Adelaide, or Frewville just off Glen Osmond Road. (Getting a similar deal at both places.)

Cheers.

Would you be driving or using public transport? I'd put both addresses in to google maps and get directions to the CBD from them and see what google maps says, although it may depend on which side of the city you need to be. When it's busy it can take 20 minutes to get from one side of the city to the other which may make a difference to which place is best for you. Google maps will also give you public transport times and in my experience it is generally pretty accurate with travel times.

yep, and you might want to try Adelaide Metro "Plan My Journey" to try a few theoretical commutes at different times of day:

- Type in your (proposed) address; your destination; your preferred arrival time and it will give you a series of options with walking distances also calculated.

(-Bear in mind: the tram is free from South Terrace all the way through to the Entertainment Centre in Hindmarsh; and there are also free connector buses from North Adelaide)

JB :swoon:

Thanks a ton NicF and John Browning! I'll be using public transport at least until I'm pretty much cornered into buying a car, and that would depend on the location of the temp / full time job I land, whenever that happens. Both places are exactly equidistant from the CBD, but I'm most probably gonna go with the Fitzroy one. Just one more thing: I've been trying through flatmates and gumtree for a while, but the best deals I got were frankly at Airbnb. If I'm not mistaken Airbnb doesn't count towards rental history right? So in case I go through them will I have substantial problems while looking for a long term rental later on? Should I just stick to Flatmates? (Not a lot of responses for short term rental there, understandably.)

I don't think you can use Aus Gumtree outside of Aus. Also I'd be wary of trying to rent via there, at least until you are here and can view in person and not part with money until sure its genuine.

Also, the flatmates site may not be giving you a good response as you are not in Aus yet. And chances are people will want to rent to someone they can meet etc.

My daughter is moving out of her house share in Prospect in the next couple of weeks - depends on what you're looking for but it's a nice house and great for public transport into the city, plus Prospect High Street has supermarkets and stuff nearby. I think she's putting it on flatmates soon but happy to pass on the details to you direct if that's the sort of thing you are looking for.

I don't see why a property owner through airbnb can't give you a reference for a longer term rental. I know Tamara from Homes down Under sometimes gives her clients a reference for long term rentals and I don't see why it would be any different just because you go through airbnb rather than direct with an owner. Obviously how amenable an owner is to doing this may vary. Most of us that move over here manage to secure a long term rental straight from a holiday rental so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi rha1983,

Congratulations are in order for you. I would suggest Fitzroy over Frewville. Because I live in North Adelaide and let me tell you, that is the best decision my husband and I made when choosing apartments. The location is excellent. All supermarkets, coffee shops and restaurants very close by and most importantly, the city is only 10 minutes away. I would highly recommend that you choose Fitzroy, in my opinion.

Good Luck for you move.

Regards,

Sam

Hi everyone! Finally got my 190! I'm moving to Adelaide at the end of June, and in the process of finalizing my shared accommodation for the first three months. Just wanted an opinion, in terms of quicker access to the CBD, which is a better option: Fitzroy near North Adelaide, or Frewville just off Glen Osmond Road. (Getting a similar deal at both places.)

Cheers.