Visa sub 190 - can't seem to find jobs in SA

samsindi

Hi guys,

My husband and I moved to Adelaide 6 months ago as Permanent Residence under the 190 visa category. We have been looking for full-time jobs in our respective fields since we landed - with no luck. So we expanded our search and tried other industries such as retail and hospitality; again, with no luck. Then we further widened our search and so far, we have only managed to secure part-time jobs as cleaners (this was our last and desperate option) to survive and pay the bills.

Right now, we are barely scraping through. So we planned to move to Melbourne as we know some friends there who could help us out (and also I was offered a job and a few interviews in my line of career but had to decline for obvious reasons).

We called the department of immigration in South Australia to find out if we could get a "release" from this state. However, their answer was that we need haven't tried hard enough to land a job (of course they didn't say that in those words, but that's what was indicated to us).

So, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light and give us some helpful tips on to what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for replies.

Hi Barry,

I am aware that it is a moral one, therefore, we tried to make it work here. I am afraid that it might affect our applications when we apply for citizenship. Will it?

Not that I am aware of. If you are concerned, consult a reputable agent to discuss.

Honestly, if Adelaide isn't proving the place you can secure a job, go elsewhere.

Thank you for replies.

Hi Barry,

I am aware that it is a moral one, therefore, we tried to make it work here. I am afraid that it might affect our applications when we apply for citizenship. Will it?

the state is not relevant when applying for citizenship. Ask an agent but I am almost 100% sure it will not be an issue.

Hi Samsindi,

Before coming, around 3 years ago now, I contacted the Immigration department in SA with just these kind of questions... What if I can't find work? Can I move state on my Visa? Here was the answer:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________

The answer to your question actually lies with the conditions and obligations attached to your visa that was granted and issued by the (federal) Department of immigration and Citizenship (which I have cut and pasted below).

Visa subclass 190 : Features

· This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory.

· A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.

· Certain family members can be included in the application

Conditions and obligations : Visa subclass 190

This information explains what is required of you (and your accompanying dependent family members) after you are granted a permanent Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190).

Enter Australia

If you are outside Australia when this visa is granted, the department will specify the date by which you must enter Australia.

Fulfil employment obligations

There are some obligations that states or territories will require you to meet. These include that you:

· stay in that state or territory that nominated you for at least two years

· keep the state or territory informed of any changes to your address

· complete surveys and provide information when asked.

Entitlements

This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:

· live and work permanently in Australia

· study in Australia

· enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses

· access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)

· apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)

· sponsor relatives for permanent residence.

If you travel out of Australia

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows you to travel to and from Australia for five years from the date it is granted. If you want to continue such travel after the visa expires, you must get aResident Return visa. You can also apply for citizenship.

Comply with visa conditions and Australian laws

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

The holder of a visa subclass 190 can therefore live and work permanently anywhere in Australia but is considered obligated to reside in the state that nominated them.

For example, if you are unable to secure employment in South Australia and has been offered employment interstate or believes they can get employment interstate, you would be able to move interstate because your visa feature allows you to live anywhere in Australia. DIAC of course would need to be informed of any move, as would Immigration SA, and although South Australia does not officially “release” a person from their obligation to the state, understands at times it is unavoidable and accepts the DIAC feature attached to the visa issued by DIAC. Visa enquiries can usually be answered at the DIAC website at www.immi.gov.au"

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________

I do not know whether this would have changed over the last 3 years - knowing Australian government bodies - it has not, yet...

Good luck to you in your job search.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. As far as I have researched, these rules are pretty much the same. My doubt lies in whether moving out of South Australia, within the 2 years, will affect my citizenship application.

Thank you anyways.

Regards,

Sam

Hi Geoff,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. As far as I have researched, these rules are pretty much the same. My doubt lies in whether moving out of South Australia, within the 2 years, will affect my citizenship application.

I think you put the cart before the horse: your main focus should be on securing work and have a good life, cleaners are doing a good job but I don't know what area you have worked before coming here.

Why are you so concerned regarding citizenship? If I were you I would be more concerned about finding steady jobs in your line of work where you can progress and thrive.

Citizenship is far, far ahead and for me it makes no sense to strive for citizenship in a new country when you have an existential crisis there. Firstly, find a way to stay here permanently, citizenship is an automatic process anyway after 4 years. 4 years can be very long...

Edited by Rabeah

Hi Geoff,

Thank you anyways.

Regards,

Sam

From what others have said and done, I don't think moving out of the state has any impact on your future citizenship.

If you want confirmation of this, consult a reputable migration agent to discuss your concerns.

Hi Geoff,

Thank you anyways.

Regards,

Sam

Sam, I feel your pain. Keep trying for the remainder of your two years in SA. The 190 visa rules are being looked upon strictly as a lot of folks landed on 190s back in the days and simply went off to their place of choice (SYD or MEL mostly). Somehow, their applications slipped through the cracks, and they did end up getting citizenship eventually. I know of at least two Indian families who got knocked back on their resident return visas/citizenship applications as they didn't fulfill the 2 years requirement in the State that sponsored them. I have a couple of people I know that work in the DIBP that have said something similar. Knowing how these guys in DIBP work, if the application gets rejected, you go to a Migration Review Tribunal (MRT) which costs more money. Just another uncouth way to rip people off their money.

From what others have said and done, I don't think moving out of the state has any impact on your future citizenship.

If you want confirmation of this, consult a reputable migration agent to discuss your concerns.

I guess your right. I just got a little concerned because I read a few posts regarding that. But yeah, I should focus on getting a full time job first. I have contacted the relevant authorities who assist PRs in getting a job. Will have to wait and see what they come up with. Thank you very much for your insight. Helped me get things in perspective.

Regards,

Sam

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi guys,

So, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light and give us some helpful tips on to what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sam

Hi Sam

I realise this is a few months old so I am not sure if you are still in Adelaide or if you are still needing help. I would be happy to meet up for a coffee if you would like and go through some aspects of how to find suitable employment her in Adelaide. I work as a Career Consultant but I always do a bit of good will work on the side to keep my world balanced. So I am happy to do this at no charge. Let me know if you're still in Adelaide and if you are interested?

Kind regards,

Emma

• 3 weeks later...