K9 Worries

Guest MitchKeza

Guest MitchKeza

Hello everyone. As you can see from my picture I am an unusual visitor to this website. My concerns are getting over to Oz with my owners. I have heard that things are quite complicated when bringing pets to Australia and I would love to hear from anyone with any info about what is expected, what tests have to be done and when do I need to be injected. I would also like to hear about anything that has not been covered in my question good and bad. Regards... Maximus Puppydog.

Guest lippy

Hi

We brought our Australian Shepherd over with us from Scotland- cost including blood tests, quarantine, flights etc was in the region of £3500.

She did her time in Sydney and although a little subdued for a couple of days after we got her back she was fine and is now back to normal.

The cost for the flights are based on the length of the dog and not the weight.

When getting your boosters - don't get the Lepto vac as you won't get in with it! We were recommended to frontline every month for about 3 months prior to blood testing as this is what they most commonly fail on - she passed first time so don't know if it helped or not!

It is expensive but not complicated - well worth it when you see them on the other side of the world happy and part of the family again!

Guest MitchKeza

Thank you again for taking time to reply. I will defo not be getting that jab and I am checking the link that was also posted. Thanks again folks !:notworthy:

Guest Martin and Val

When getting your boosters - don't get the Lepto vac as you won't get in with it!

We are taking our two, hopefully in September if the decision maker comes back from his holidays that is!

The Lepto vac is part of the booster in the UK. We vaccinate against it in this country. But Australia don't vaccinate against it they cull against it! Therefore if they come across it they will cull the animal! Very harsh but that is the rules.

If the animal has had the normal stanard booster it will have the Lepto bit in it's blood test.

Ask your vet for the booster that doesn't contain the Lepto ingredient, and then afterward keep them away from foul water or any where that could have come in contact with rats or even rabbits! This is what I have been told by our vet and he is a neighbour so should be up front and honest about things!

We think we are paying around £4,500 for our two but cant go without them. Take a look at AirPets that will give you a good idea.

Martin

Guest MitchKeza

Boosters were just administered last month but we arent gonna be over in Oz until July 2009. In one years time the boosters and any other injections needed will given to our dog. Could I ask if you could possibly ask your friend (vet) if a year from now is long enough to clear the Lepto vac from his system and please let me know? We cant even think about leaving the little fella behind. When we picked him from the litter we knew we were committed to him for his natural life. Some people reading this might think we are soft, but he actually is a member of our family. Thank you for your reply. Hope to hear from you again. Regards... Mitchkeza.:unsure:

Guest Martin and Val

For entry into Australia your dog must be vaccinated against, Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo Virus and Para Influenza at least 14 days and not more than 12 months prior to exportation.

Do not vaccinate against Leptospirosis. (You will be OK for July 2009)

Blood tests with negative results for Leptospirosis, Brucella Canis and Ehrlichia within 30 days of export.

Permanent identtification (Micro Chip)

Hope this helps you. We are using Airpets Oceanic and have found them very good and have taken us through each step. Give them a call, 01753 685571 www.airpets.com info@airpets.com

Good luck with it all

Guest MitchKeza

My God ! Thank you for supplying a lot more infomation than I anticipated. You are very kind people and I will be taking on board the info you have supplied. I must admit that Max's (the dog) emigration has been a big concern of ours. The help you have given us really has eased our minds. What a great website this is. Thank you again.....Mitchkeza.:notworthy:

Guest MitchKeza

Thanks Traveli. Its nice to know that we are not the only ones worried about our pets. The whole immigration process is mind numbing as it is without having extra worries about getting our pets out there. Thanks for the reply.... Mitchkeza.:notworthy: