Daily Cost of Living Question...

Guest WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Guest WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

We are still waiting for a Case Officer to be allocated so I suppose I am getting worried about the actual fact that we MAY soon have our visa and actually have to start getting ready to sell the house, buy our one way tickets and tell the remaining people who don't know what we are up to!!!

Anyway, I recently realised that we have been so immersed in finding out where we want to live and dealing with the actual visa application process that I haven't really worked out the daily cost of living when we get to Adelaide....

Can you please PLEASE give a general (or detailed!!!) breakdown of the every day cost of living with respect to things like water, electricity, medical insurance, whatever Oz take in the form of council tax, running a car etc? Anything I have missed, you can gladly advise on...

I just thought it would be better to ask you guys who have been there done that and are living it rather than start searching all over the place on the net....

THanks sooooooooo much in advance :arghh:Panic panic panic....

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Our bills currently are

Electric $450 per quarter

Gas $70 per quarter (hot water and cooking)

Water $150 per quarter

Council Rates $1000 per year

Emergency service levy $60 (homeowners only)

Car rego (car tax and compulsory 3rd party personal insurance) $650 per year

Car insurance fully comp $480 per year

Petrol unleaded $ 1.65 per litre, LPG 70c per litre, diesel $1.82 per litre,

Guzzler

Similar to Guzzler, but we have only had 2 quarters to give you an idea, I am home most days & we do have a pool, utilities are:

Electricity $350 for Summer, $270 for Winter (so far) pool filter runs daily

Gas $80

Water $160

Phone & Internet (vary depending on package & who you are with) $45 & $39 p/m

Hope this is of some help.

Guest natdan
Hi,

Our bills currently are

Electric $450 per quarter

Gas $70 per quarter (hot water and cooking)

Water $150 per quarter

Council Rates $1000 per year

Emergency service levy $60 (homeowners only)

Car rego (car tax and compulsory 3rd party personal insurance) $650 per year

Car insurance fully comp $480 per year

Petrol unleaded $ 1.65 per litre, LPG 70c per litre, diesel $1.82 per litre,

THANKS , for sharing with us the info on bills and utilitys etc , great help in trying to work things out , do you have any idea how much repayments would be on a mortgage of say $200,000 or $ 250,000 would be as looking to buy a property when we arrive, will be putting down a decent deposit though [$100,000 / $200,000.]thanks in advance . wayne n louise. :)

Guest Libby1971

A mortgage of $200k would cost approx $1200 a month, depending exactly on interest rates. Most employers pay fortnightly so you'd pay this fortnightly too

Libby

Guest natdan
A mortgage of $200k would cost approx $1200 a month, depending exactly on interest rates. Most employers pay fortnightly so you'd pay this fortnightly too

Libby

THANKS , just trying to gauge costs and living expenses etc . costs for mortgages seem similar to uk. thanks again wayne n louise.:)

Guest Shy Ted

Libby

You have selected our First Option Home Loan product for $200000 with an interest rate of 8.89% for a term of 30 years.

Your repayments: Proposed monthly repayment:$1594 orProposed fortnightly repayment:$736 orProposed weekly repayment:$368

Bugger Westpac. I'm getting my mortgage from the Bank of Libby!!

Guest Shy Ted
THANKS , just trying to gauge costs and living expenses etc . costs for mortgages seem similar to uk. thanks again wayne n louise.:)

Tread careful here mate. RBA interest rate is a full 2.5% higher than the UK, so Aus mortgage costs are a lot higher pro rata. Try using a calculator facility on one of the big bank's websites to see what you will be paying in real terms.

Factor in stamp duty too. A lot more than the UK.

Guest natdan
Tread careful here mate. RBA interest rate is a full 2.5% higher than the UK, so Aus mortgage costs are a lot higher pro rata. Try using a calculator facility on one of the big bank's websites to see what you will be paying in real terms.

Factor in stamp duty too. A lot more than the UK.

Adelaide, seems to be quite an

expensive plaice to live when you weigh everything up !!

Hopefuuly will be able to manage. :)

thanks again wayne n louise.

Guest Amelia&Fred

i know you asked about the cost of living including having a mortgage - which has been answered! however, as a note for anyone coming over who isn't planning on buying - renting is soooo much better over here than the uk....

1. there are no agency fees

2. you dont pay council tax

3. you dont pay water rates

4. if you live in the city and have no parking space you get a practically free permit ($22 one time only fee)...

all we pay is rent/elec/gas/telephone/internet.... and that's it!!

renting was easy - our landlord only rang my dad for a reference!!

hope that helps someone...

amelia and fred

http://www.funkeldink.com

Guest Deb17

Ooh, you were lucky. You obviously have a cool landlord! I think you should be paying something towards water though, although it's not water rates, we do have it in our contract that we have to pay something towards the water usage.

Ooh, you were lucky. You obviously have a cool landlord! I think you should be paying something towards water though, although it's not water rates, we do have it in our contract that we have to pay something towards the water usage.

We have rented 2 houses in Adelaide and in the contract it said something like if we used over a certain amount we would have to pay, but both times we did not have to pay anything.

Guest Libby1971

Same here. There are two levels of water rates/ bills

Standard rate for basic usage

Higher rate if you go over your limit.

Most rentals now have it in their contract that standard rates for water are covered in the rent you pay; excess is covered by the tenant.

Guest Amelia&Fred

yes, our landlord is pretty cool - you pay your rent on time and all is well!

yes, there is a clause in the contract about paying for the water over a certain amount but that is based on the usage of a family of four (we're a couple)... so if we went over that limit then there would be something very wrong considering the water issues here.

the other bonus of renting in oz is that the bond that you pay goes in to a government account and needs both signatures of tenants and landlord to be released... so the landlord can't just nick your bond like they did before i left glasgow... ********* there is still obviously margin for disagreement but at least the landlord doesn't just think it's their bonus money!!

amelia and fred

www.funkeldink.com