Just got my VISA accepted

Guest mltonin

Guest mltonin

Hi all,

Just got confirmation today that my visa 119 has been accepted (permanent residency).

My gf and I both have jobs out there but I am really sh*tting it now!! I was really excited until today and the feeling has turned into terror...is this normal?

I now need to sell the house and organise the removal pretty quickly as both our jobs start in September. I think I have left everything a little too late as I have not even looked into changing banks or organising removals or anything really!!

At least my new company is providing accomodation (in Glenelg) and transport for 3 months as well as subsidised meals.

Was it this stressful for everyone or were you all more organised than I?

Guest Django

Welcome to PIA and congrats on the visa.

You have plenty of time to organise everything. as for the movement of you, your stuff and your cash into an aussie bank. The only thing you may have trouble with is selling your house. In the current climate this is the biggest hurdle in moving to Australia.

The feeling of 'what have we done' is normal. We all have sudden doubts and worries so no need to panic there.

Good luck

Pete

Guest mltonin

Hi Julie,

I have a job with ASC...the process itself started in August 07 (interviews etc) and the actual visa part of things took about 6 months.

Thanks for all your reassuring comments. The only annoyance now is dealing with the doomsayers on the radio as they announced this morning a possible recession in 3 months time...not good publicity when trying to sell a flat.

Hi mltonin, the company who is employing you is the same company who is employing my husband, he had his interview in February but over the phone (very weird) and we are in the same boat as you and many on here who are trying to sell our homes. Good Luck with yours let us know how you get on.

Julie

Guest mltonin

Thanks for all the supporting comments guys...much appreciated.

My g/f was giving me a hard time yesterday as I did make a slight oversight in this whole process...our passports. They have around 14 months left on them and I am in two minds as to whether or not I should renew them before sending these to the high commision for insertion of the visas...I have made her fill in the forms just in case.

What are your thoughts on the matter? I was thinking of renewing them as it would mean one less thing to worry about once out down under.

The other point of this post is that I cannot seem to concentrate at my work!! I can't seem to get my head down at all which is bad cause I have a sh*t load of stuff to do but my mind keeps wondering off and I seem to spend most of my time on the web looking at banks, places to stay, cars....everything apart from work!

Hi I've sent you a p/m because you and my husband seem to going to work for the same company, oh my husbands passport is running out next year to, so we are sending it off to be replaced next week, we have spoke to the agent who is dealing with our case S. Mallett she said just let her know when we do as the passport number is going to be different on the visa...

Hope that helps.

Julie

Guest woody crew

CONGRATS TO YOU!!!

weird feeling aint it we got ours 2 weeks ago,

so you gotta sell the house us also, good luck with that,

well good luck Gleng is lovely.

good luck with your new lives

sounds normal to me, much more exciting than mundane work stuff. Don't worry bout the passports you can renew them here by sending them off with a lot of dollars to the BHC in Canberra. It takes them about 4 weeks for a renew.

Is this defo. Cos we were told that passport office in England will not send passports out of the country! What does BHC stand for?

ta

Carole

Is this defo. Cos we were told that passport office in England will not send passports out of the country! What does BHC stand for?

ta

Carole

British High Commission. They renew it within Australia, it isn't sent out of the country :) Cost is 300 and something dollars per passport and although they say it takes 4 weeks, I know of 3 people who have recently applied and it took over 6 weeks for each of them to arrive (one person had to postpone her trip as the passport wasn't back in time)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mltonin

Well this is it. Flights are booked for the 22nd September so it's all go.

All I need to do now is figure out how much luggage I am allowed to take on and be prepared to get hit with a huge excess. Do most people take all their clothes etc with them in suitcases or just the bear minimum with the rest going in the container with the rest of the household stuff?

My other small worry is to do with the removal company. I have been asigned Brittania Removals, and am a little scared after reading all the small print as it says that they will pay up to £40 for each good / item damaged by them. I have a £2000 flat screen TV and £1500 amp/sound system...I don't see £40 covering that...also my g/f is worried about our leather suite as that was around £4000...should I get extra insurance?

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi and congrats on getting your visa through!!!:)

We are too going out on a 119. My boyfriend has employment and i am going out as a defacto spouse dependant on his visa. We have just had our meds done and now in the process of getting all our docs together for the visa application. Can i ask what you sent with your visa regarding proving your relationship??

Congrats again!!!!! xxx

Guest mltonin

We both had to write separate statements explaining our relationship status, how we met, common interests, future plans.

We also had a joint mortgage for our flat and joint accounts so we also attached certified copies of these.

Hopes this helps and good luck with your visas.

Mark

Guest Aussie pat

We are using the same shipping firm as you. Our insurance is new for old with £100 excess. We have to pay 2.8% of value of sum insured as a premium. This is thru Brittania (Sun Alliance) Marine Transit Insurance. We have to pay the premium in addition to the shipping costs. We spent most of yesterday afternoon doing the inventory and costings. Are you sure you have been given all the insurance paperwork or is it different because you were allocated a company as part of a package?

Luggage allowance varies depending on who you fly with. If you fly via The States you get more allowance. We looked into allowances and found only permanent visa holders were eligible generally unless you went via USA. We are moving back permanently but as my 2 kids and I hold Aussie passports (so no visa) we didn't get any extra allowance only my husband on a British passport did. He got 40kg with SIA, double the usual allowance. We had to fax a copy of his visa before we paid for the ticket.

Hope this is of help.

Well this is it. Flights are booked for the 22nd September so it's all go.

All I need to do now is figure out how much luggage I am allowed to take on and be prepared to get hit with a huge excess. Do most people take all their clothes etc with them in suitcases or just the bear minimum with the rest going in the container with the rest of the household stuff?

My other small worry is to do with the removal company. I have been asigned Brittania Removals, and am a little scared after reading all the small print as it says that they will pay up to £40 for each good / item damaged by them. I have a £2000 flat screen TV and £1500 amp/sound system...I don't see £40 covering that...also my g/f is worried about our leather suite as that was around £4000...should I get extra insurance?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mltonin

I had the removal company come round last friday. I raised this question with them and apparently it is being taken care of by my company. I do not need to do much really...feeling a bit helpless at the minute especially since I hate not having any control or real knowledge of what is happening. Shouldn't really complain however as it is one less thing to worry about.