SIR495 to 175 pros and cons

Guest stufi1997

Guest stufi1997

Hi all,

Thought I'd post a new thread to get everyones opinions on whether it's worth our while to apply for a 175 visa now that we're out here.....When we applied for our 495 visa on 19 July last year we didn't have enough points to go for the 136 (now 175). About a week after submitting the application they changed the MODL to include painter/decorator:arghh:.

So now we are in the position to either stick it out on the 495 and wait not only the 2 years to satisfy the requirements but another 7-8 months on top:err: for them to grant PR....or bite the bullet and pay for the 175 application with everything that goes along with this i.e. meds, police checks, leaving the country for grant etc.

I was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on this as we are undecided...we would like to feel settled and have the benefits that all the Aussies get but don't know if it's worth the money and hassle:nah:

What do you lot think????? Fiona

Guest Nick11

It's a toughie - we were in the same position- hubby is a print finisher and his job was recently added. I know Donna T and Angela, who post on here are in the same position.

We've all been here for over a year - so by the time we got pr with any of the visas - there would be little difference in time - not enough anyway to justify the expense.

If I were you - personally I would go for it. Assuming you've not bought a house already - that's $11,000, child care etc - you would probably be better off.

Just my opinion.

Guest donna T

I agree with NIck - you have only been here a short while and it would financially worthwhile for you. i did ring a migration agent in Adelaide when Russ's occupation hit the MODL list and he told me not to bother seeing as I only had 10 months to go before I could apply for PR.

We definitely considered it mainly due to the benefits as we are struggling on the 495 - timing wasn't right for us but should be worth it for you - good luck!

Agree with Donna & Nick, $11k is a benefit towards buying a house & if you have children you will be entitled to child tax allowance (sorry not sure what its called & it depends on earnings etc) but definitely worth considering.

We are 10 months in but decided against going for PR visa.....I often think now that we should have.

Good luck

Angela

Guest donna T
What are the benefits/catches of life in Oz on a 495? are there things you are entitled to that perhaps not on another visa type, are you worse off than a PR for instance? genuinely don't know entitlements!!

Basically - there are no entitlements - not to family assistance, child care rebates, first time home grant - nada! Yes, we knew all that before we came but it would make sooo much difference to week to week living.

Guest cityfan

hi....looking to come over on a sponsored 457 visa...i am a nurse...i have read on the gov.immigration site that although it is a temp visa...school fees are waived and children of parents on 457's do not have to pay school fees...is this correct??.......would i be taxed at a higher rate also??...any advice on this type of visa would really help....the web pages and agencies do tend to waffle on!!!....good advice from REAL people is what i need!!!...cheers to all...x:jiggy:

Guest Django
would i be taxed at a higher rate also??...

You will be taxed at the same rate as everyone else. For tax purposes you will be a resident. The higher tax code is for people that are purely in Oz to work and who will return to their home when their work is complete.

Can't help with the school fees. Must say I haven't heard of that before.

Pete

Guest cityfan
You will be taxed at the same rate as everyone else. For tax purposes you will be a resident. The higher tax code is for people that are purely in Oz to work and who will return to their home when their work is complete.

Can't help with the school fees. Must say I haven't heard of that before.

Pete

Thankyou.....i'm sure i have read bout school fees...maybe it was wishful thinking!!!!....happy days..x:confused: