Calling all '475'ers already in Adelaide!

Guest The Angus Clan

Guest The Angus Clan

Hi , I know going on a 475 isn't as 'safe' as going on some other types of visa , but just wondering how restrictive the 475 is , in terms of getting a mortgage , buying property and getting a job? I know we won't be entitled to welfare benefits for 2 years ( wouldn't want to go there anyway)! , but how does it affect education and medical costs? Any advice gratefully received! :)

Marcia

Guest Blackcat

Hi There

We arrived last November and are on a SIR495, which I think has the same restrictions. We havn't found any problems, have both got jobs. The school fees are the same as everyone else pays. Medicare covers for you for most things, though not any dentist work and we havn't got any extra medical insurance. Of course we are not entitled to child allowance which is a pain. We will be after getting permenant resisdancy though which you can apply for after two years. So we have not found it too restricting. Good luck, Gina

Guest The Angus Clan
Hi There

We arrived last November and are on a SIR495, which I think has the same restrictions. We havn't found any problems, have both got jobs. The school fees are the same as everyone else pays. Medicare covers for you for most things, though not any dentist work and we havn't got any extra medical insurance. Of course we are not entitled to child allowance which is a pain. We will be after getting permenant resisdancy though which you can apply for after two years. So we have not found it too restricting. Good luck, Gina

Hi Gina , thanks for that. If you are temp res are you able to get a mortgage , or do you have to wait? Can't bear the thought of renting for 2 yrs. Also , how do banks view you re mortgage ? Do you have to be in employment for a certain period in Oz before you can apply? Sorry so many questions!! Thanks again!

Marcia :)

Guest cunnah10
Hi , I know going on a 475 isn't as 'safe' as going on some other types of visa , but just wondering how restrictive the 475 is , in terms of getting a mortgage , buying property and getting a job? I know we won't be entitled to welfare benefits for 2 years ( wouldn't want to go there anyway)! , but how does it affect education and medical costs? Any advice gratefully received! :)

Marcia

Hi

we are due out soon on same visa!I am not 100 % about what we are and what we aren't entitled too so will have to just learn as we go along!

good luck

Guest The Angus Clan
Hi

we are due out soon on same visa!I am not 100 % about what we are and what we aren't entitled too so will have to just learn as we go along!

good luck

Ever wonder what on earth you have let yourself in for???!!! Let us know how you go. Good luck with everything - you will have been there , done it and got the T shirt by the time we set foot in Oz!! :)

All the best , Marcia

Guest Blackcat

Hi

You can get a mortgage, but you have to have a 20 percent deposit to put down, cannot get one for any more than 80 percent on this visa. This is fine if you have sold your house in the UK and probably have a fair amount in equity to bring over, but we can not sell our house, we are now going to rent it and get a buy to let mortgage in the UK to enable us to bring over some equity from the house to put down on a deposit, this will mean we will still have a much bigger mortgage than we ever wanted to, but its either that or renting long term, which we don't want to do either. You are also not entitled to the money the Government normally give you if you are a first time buyer to put down on a house. Hope this helps, as I said if you are selling your house and have a good deposit to put down, getting a mortgage shouldn't be a problem, bye for now, Gina

Guest cunnah10
Hi

You can get a mortgage, but you have to have a 20 percent deposit to put down, cannot get one for any more than 80 percent on this visa. This is fine if you have sold your house in the UK and probably have a fair amount in equity to bring over, but we can not sell our house, we are now going to rent it and get a buy to let mortgage in the UK to enable us to bring over some equity from the house to put down on a deposit, this will mean we will still have a much bigger mortgage than we ever wanted to, but its either that or renting long term, which we don't want to do either. You are also not entitled to the money the Government normally give you if you are a first time buyer to put down on a house. Hope this helps, as I said if you are selling your house and have a good deposit to put down, getting a mortgage shouldn't be a problem, bye for now, Gina

Cheers Gina for info