New to PIA

Guest sam2500

Guest sam2500

Hi to all,

Been watching this site for ages now, and thanks for all the useful information!

Thought it was about time I joined.

OH been offered a sponsorship, for a job in Glenelg, and we are waiting for that to be given the go ahead.

Then we can get our Visa application logged.

Going on a 457 Visa.

Anyone already in Adelaide on this Visa, I would really appreciate any advice?

One particular question.

We have a Son age 7, and obviously choice of school is very important.

Does anyone know of any restrictions to school choice, depending on what Visa you go on ?

Looking forward to loads of posts from now on.

sam2500:skeptical:

Hi

Welcome! I'm pretty sure there is no restriction on which school your son can go to that is linked to your visa type. At state schools, everyone pays a small fee and even temprorary visa holders pay the same as Aussie citizens. The only time you start getting charged "international rates" is at University/College age, so you have a few years to go there! (By the way, a lot of private schools call themselves 'colleges' but that's not the sort I mean above!). The only restriction you may find is on catchment areas - some (state) schools are 'zoned' (as in the UK).

Glenelg is really nice, a great place to work for your OH - this year he could have even nipped out at lunchtime to watch the international beach volleyball championships there!!

Diane

Guest sam2500

Hi Liz and Kris,

Thanks for your reply,

Have been reading your posts with interest, and really glad you have both settled so well in Glenelg.

Its hard really to get too involved, as the process seems so long and until someone actually says YES! you're going, its like tempting fate, but all being well, we should be there for Christmas!:unsure: ( Fingers crossed ).

We are also looking to rent in or around Glenelg, and any further information would be brill.

Has it lived up to your expectations, both of you ?

Neither myself or OH have been to OZ, so getting one or two wobbles! ( only very occasionally though, usual mid summer in Manchester and not stopped raining for days ) :dull:.

Take care,

sam2500

Guest natdan

Hi Sam and OH welcome to the site, so much help and advice on here. Good luck with the visas and everything, hopefully you"ll be in sunny adelaide soon.

Wayne n Louise.

Guest sam2500

Hi Wayne and Louise,

Thanks for your reply.

When are you planning to go and which area are you planning moving too?

Suppose you are going on a permanent Visa , whilst our option of the 457 temporary, because of the job offered and age etc. was our best option.

We have had our house for sale since May with 2 viewers , but pipped at the post on both occassions.

Not prepared to knock chunks of our price so will try to rent, and rent in Adelaide for as long as necessarry.

Good luck to you too!

Sue and David

Guest natdan
Hi Wayne and Louise,

Thanks for your reply.

When are you planning to go and which area are you planning moving too?

Suppose you are going on a permanent Visa , whilst our option of the 457 temporary, because of the job offered and age etc. was our best option.

We have had our house for sale since May with 2 viewers , but pipped at the post on both occassions.

Not prepared to knock chunks of our price so will try to rent, and rent in Adelaide for as long as necessarry.

Good luck to you too!

Sue and David

we are hoping to be in adelaide very soon , visas need to be validated by dec 18th, so but if no house sale we will have to go for a holiday [ shame ]:). we have a 136 subclass visa which gives us permanent residency, once the visas have been activated we have 5 years to settle. our best friends live in modbury heights so are hoping to live near them, we have been looking around the golden grove/ wynn vale area.we visited our friends 2 years ago and we also went to sydney, we just liked adelaide so much we decided to follow our friends and hopefully emigrate !!. They have lived there for 5 years now and are settled. My OH is the manager of our estate agents , and her advice to me is to just sell [ good offer hopefully :arghh:]and go as the housing market is just getting worse, and it will take time to recover. She does not want to rent especially if we are on the other side of the planet. If we can be of any help just ask. Wayne n Louise

GOOD LUCK with your house sale and GOOD speed with your visas.

Guest sam2500

Hi wayne and Louise,

Totally agree about the house sale, but realistically don't think we will sell our house before we go, because the market is so bad, ( Visa permitting of course).

Will keep on trying but if we have to rent so be it.

We will need to rent in Adelaide anyway, as i said, finding a good school for my son is priority so really need to suss the area out, before putting down more permanent roots.

The people who have offered my OH a job, are trying to help all they can which is a great help.

Hope you have luck selling your house too.

Sue and David