Am i crazy????

Guest tinacc

Guest tinacc

Hi all,

Just want a bit of reassurance as to whether i am crazy or not?:biglaugh: I am a single mum to two teenage girls, 18 and 15, currently going through the process of the 175 visa.. I own a Mens Barbers shop here in the u.k but want to give up everything i have worked for to start a new life in Australia, with the housing market being so dire i wont be coming out with a great deal of cash..Does this make me crazy??

It could be the best thing i ever do or it could be the worse but unless i do it i will never know...

Am i the only single person looking to relocate? everything i read seems to be from couples?:cute:

Well thats got that off my chest... wishing all you guys out there the greatest success with your applications ;)

Tina x

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Tina

Welcome to the site. I am part of a couple and we have a 10 year old daughter. I don't think you are mad, apart from the fact that we are a couple we are probably in a worse position (financially) than you!! We are selling our house, vehicles and everything we own basically to move to Oz early next year and we will basically be arriving with enough money to last us for 3 months - AND THAT IS IT!!!!

Fortunately my hubby has secured a job and therefore will be earning straight away, however if anything goes wrong with this, we will be on a flight home before we have had a look around!!

My motto? If you don't try it you will spend all your life saying "what if?"

Go for it girl!!!!

Mandy

Guest natdan

Hi Tina , we dont think your crazy !!! just mad like the rest of us !!! Go for it ,just like the rest of us you"ll always wonder WHAT IF !.Your girls and you will hopefully have a better life in oz. Good luck

Wayne n Louise.

Guest HelenAndSiggi

Hi Tina,

I believe you gave yourself the answer "unless i do it i will never know..."

My advice is that you go for the right reasons and make sure your girls want to go to OZ as well.

I also suggest to write a PRO and CONTRA list...

Here are two pros already: You speak the same language and your job is wanted down under.

Good Luck,

Siggi

Guest Rob and Clare
Hi all,

Just want a bit of reassurance as to whether i am crazy or not?:biglaugh: I am a single mum to two teenage girls, 18 and 15, currently going through the process of the 175 visa.. I own a Mens Barbers shop here in the u.k but want to give up everything i have worked for to start a new life in Australia, with the housing market being so dire i wont be coming out with a great deal of cash..Does this make me crazy??

It could be the best thing i ever do or it could be the worse but unless i do it i will never know...

Am i the only single person looking to relocate? everything i read seems to be from couples?:cute:

Well thats got that off my chest... wishing all you guys out there the greatest success with your applications ;)

Tina x

I think it depends on what you are going to do when you are here......

I would do a search on this site against hairdressing, a couple recently left or are leaving Oz who are hairdressers due to the lack of Money that can be earnt. They suggested $17 per hour was the norm, this to me sounds an unlivable wage if you were the only one working with 2 daughters... Depending on your type of visa could mean you may have to pay 100% of your daughters university education if she wants further education, there is not much help from the government here.

But please don't take my advice just do searches on this site about cost of living, education etc... ask extra questions to fill in any gaps and you'd be in a good position to make a good judgement. Also get the book Living and Working in Australia, it's been a great source of information for me...

Hi all,

Tina x

Hi Tina.

I would just like to reassure you that your not the only single person going (its nice to finally see someone else on here though).

I will be heading out to Adelaide in Jan with my daughter Alicia who is 6yo. I have heard of people who have done it (think one was on pomsinoz). She has had a fab time since moving and is no longer single.

I would say though that i'm not giving up half as much as you, but that wouldn't stop me going as its something i've always wanted to do.

I would say NOT to your crazy question, not if its something you really want to do.

When are you going?

Good luck with everything and just to let you know there are lots of us going without much.

Emma +

Alicia (6)

Guest Nick11

Personally I think you have to be a little bit mad .... lets face it - if we really sat down and thought about it hard - no one would come over here.

Welcome to our world - it's great.

Hi all,

Tina x

It appears to me that you are giving up an awful lot, however , good luck.

One thing is very important though.........YOU NEED A PLAN FOR WHAT YOUR TEENAGERS ARE GOING TO DO. Are they going to school?, this way they will meet friends. Are they going to Tafe/ college /uni? They will meet friends but can you afford the fees ( if on wrong visa, or in the case of uni, you cant get student loan unless youre a citizen) Its not easy for older teens to fit in, ours did, but he went back to school.

Your kids will be a huge part of how you settle here.............plan well.

Guest FlyByNight

For my part, all credit to you for your courage - I refer you to my signature block which consists of words of wisdom from my late Father. They are often repeated and have proven to be a good motto to keep in mind.

Aside from that, like my wife and I (being nurses) wherever you go, people will always need your skills. I know for sure that I will be on the lookout for a decent men's barber in Adelaide for my son and I. Just depends what you're prepared to put into it as a business. One of the things attracting us to Oz is the apparent strong work ethic the Aussies have.

You reap what you sow. :huh: (so sayeth Lou Reed - 'Perfect Day')

What will you call your Barber's Shop? - We'll keep a lookout for it when we get there.

Best of luck.

Hi Tina

We met a Single Mum with a 5year old via ad-brits at one of the social get-togethers in Preston.

She was a Nurse, and I thought she was very brave....

I have spoke with her via email since she went over a few months ago.

She and her son have settled really well.

So you are not alone...... and you are not crazy...

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Si

Guest tinacc

Thanks guys for all your replies, i know in my hearts of hearts that i am going to do it whatever :biglaugh:. One thing im not afraid of is hard work so im sure i can not fail. My eldest daughter is toni and guy trained so i dont see her having too much of a problem finding work. Youngest daughter is adament she is not coming so that has to be her choice, luckily for me i have a great family who she can stay with here in the u.k.... You can not live your life through your kids, by the time i leave she would of left school.

Hardest part for me right now is SELLING THE HOUSE!!!!!!:arghh:

Guest The Angus Clan
Hi all,

Tina x

Hi Tina , just wanted to say go for it - life's too short. Good luck with everything!

Marcia:)

Guest Suziep

Hi Tina,

I am divorced with a 13 year old son & lucky enough to be in another relationship with a lovely chap who is very loyal & understanding...Im not quite dragging him to Adelaide but its been my idea for years! Hopefully going out on a 457 visa & fingers crossed the court process re access is not too harrowing. Good luck & hope you find friendship in Oz. Sue

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Thanks guys for all your replies, i know in my hearts of hearts that i am going to do it whatever :biglaugh:. One thing im not afraid of is hard work so im sure i can not fail. My eldest daughter is toni and guy trained so i dont see her having too much of a problem finding work. Youngest daughter is adament she is not coming so that has to be her choice, luckily for me i have a great family who she can stay with here in the u.k.... You can not live your life through your kids, by the time i leave she would of left school.

Hardest part for me right now is SELLING THE HOUSE!!!!!!:arghh:

If the 2 of you will be working than that wont be so hard. The problem is getting a full time position, most of the jobs you see will be part time casual, and the pay is around $17 an hour, its the same as all the other wanted jobs.........where are they?

At least hairdressing doesnt have the hoops of licenses to jump through unlike the other trades!

Others are right if you dont try you will never know at least you can suppport each other

sarah