Do we ship everything out OR start again?

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi Guys

I know this has been asked many times and i suppose it is down to the individual and how old or new your "stuff" is!

But Me and OH are now undecided wether to just get rid of everything decent this end before we leave and just start again in OZ!

would save on paying out for a container and shipping it all out and have to wait maybe 12weeks for it to arrive!

Suppose the big question is :

If we come out with "NOTHING" can we just go out with a shopping list and buy most things there and then?

Obviously we will need sofas,beds,dining table and chairs,T.V's etc... etc...

How quick could we order these big items and more importantly how quick could they be delivered?

If we place an order and have to wait 8 to 12 weeks for delivery them maybe we will rethink about it all!

Cheers

Gill

Guest markshelley

Hi Gill,

I'd be very interested to hear peoples opinions because we are in exactly the same frame of mind as you of "do we ship out our stuff or not".

We were thinking of either selling houses with all stuff left in (ideal for a 1st time buyer we think) or having a house/garden/garage sale, because roughly if we did that we thought we'd save £5k on average for a container and if we made approx £3k on the sale of our stuff and that would give us approx $16k with the exchange rate 2-1. Surely we could get all new essential house items for that amount of cash.

What is everyones thoughts am i near the mark or absolutely miles off????????

Guest Nick11

Definately bring the lot - I'm so glad we did.

Most things are a lot more expensive and the quality isn't as good.

We bought a lot out with us from a 4 bed detatched house and it cost us a little over 3 grand. I dread to think how much it would have cost us to buy new here!

Guest ReadyPenny

BluePaul

It's you who needs to do the maths again - LOL!!!!!;) Mark and Shelley will save £5k on container and hopefully make £3k selling stuff hence £8k x 2 = £16k

Couldn't resist that one!!!

We are in similar boat. At first we decided to ditch everything here and buy new over there. Since had a re-think, our stuff cost quite a bit here, things like American Fridge Freezer etc etc, we would get next to nothing for it here and it would cost us more than we made replacing over there. Bottom line? We have decided to do exactly what you are advising Mark and Shelley and ship the lot!!

That way we may not feel as homesick with some of our belongings around us too!

Mandy

Guest cunnah10
BluePaul

It's you who needs to do the maths again - LOL!!!!!;) Mark and Shelley will save £5k on container and hopefully make £3k selling stuff hence £8k x 2 = £16k

Couldn't resist that one!!!

We are in similar boat. At first we decided to ditch everything here and buy new over there. Since had a re-think, our stuff cost quite a bit here, things like American Fridge Freezer etc etc, we would get next to nothing for it here and it would cost us more than we made replacing over there. Bottom line? We have decided to do exactly what you are advising Mark and Shelley and ship the lot!!

That way we may not feel as homesick with some of our belongings around us too!

Mandy

Okay Guys say we do ship the lot......wait 12 weeks for it to arrive........what is the best way to manage (2 adults 4 young kids)?

Say we apply for OAA and like quite a few get knocked back!!!!

Then is our only option then a furnished holiday let or caravan park for 3 months at $600 - $650 per week?

Advise much appreciated!!!!!

Guest Trakki

We are shipping everything and like you have had to think how we are going to manage with 4 small children. We are basically taking everything apart from pots and pans as they are knackered. We are going to take a few bits ike the kids cutlery in our hand luggage. We are planning to find a rental quickly but like you will have to wait for our stuff to arrive. Sleeping wise we will buy mattresses for the kids as theirs are knackered so will be able to use them and when their beds arrive they will be used to them!! As for us my stipulation for moving was that we leave our bed here as I hate it and it is about 300 years old so we will be ok!!:biglaugh:

Furniture wise we don't have any out door furniture here so will buy that anyway and use that inside until the container arrives. You don't need to buy kettles and toasters as youcan boil water in a pan and do toast under a grill. Otherwise the only stuff we will buy is what we need to anyway that isn't coming in the container. I am just trying to find out at the moifIcan take a travel cot as part of our luggage as both Joe and Niamh are still in cots (Niamh in acot bed) so may have to buy a cot or see if any nice people on here have a travel cot we can borrow. If I can't take it as hand luggage I will be after 2!!! Niamh is 2 and a half but nowhere near ready for a bed!!

Anyway, hope that helps

Guest caoimhe
As for us my stipulation for moving was that we leave our bed here as I hate it and it is about 300 years old so we will be ok!!

Funny our bed is probably the only decent bit of furniture we have, we only bought it last year from money we got as wedding gifts, so I'm not going without it. Stephen won't go without his 42in plasma so we don't know wheter to go for a half container and only bring a few thing or a full container and bring the lot

My uncle in Adelaide told me to bring any decent wooden furniture as he reckons it is not as good out there but not to bring white goods, anyone thought of wether to bring their washing machine/dishwasher.

Apparently our fridge/freezers won't be worth taking as they would never withstand the heat!! Is this true

Guest ali@51

Pearsonaly having just done it I would bring everything you can. The houses here tend to be bigger so you will probably have to buy somenew furniture anyway. As for how you manage I would recomend the salvos. They sell most things good quality at a reasonable price. knives forks pots pans beds ect. some of it is a bit tatty but livable with if its only for a few weeks!!!!!!!!! We have a double and single bed from them in out garage that we were going to send back so if anyone is comming soon/here we could keep hold of them and you could have them if you arrange collection. The double has a wonky leg but it could be used just on the base.

Guest natdan

:biglaugh:

Pearsonaly having just done it I would bring everything you can. The houses here tend to be bigger so you will probably have to buy somenew furniture anyway. As for how you manage I would recomend the salvos. They sell most things good quality at a reasonable price. knives forks pots pans beds ect. some of it is a bit tatty but livable with if its only for a few weeks!!!!!!!!! We have a double and single bed from them in out garage that we were going to send back so if anyone is comming soon/here we could keep hold of them and you could have them if you arrange collection. The double has a wonky leg but it could be used just on the base.

Having just done what!!! :SLEEP:And how did it get that wonky leg !!! :nah: only joking , thanks for the advice ............ Louise.

Guest theforrests

We brought everything out with us - and we're so glad that we did. It was really good for the children to have something familiar - whilst we were unpacking the boxes - they rediscovered their toys. We did bring our fridgefreezer with us - and it works just fine. Although there are restrictions on bringing fridgefreezers over - something to do with the type of coolant gas used - normally though its related to the age of the appliance - ours was 7 years old when we shipped it over and it passed ok. Whatever shipper you use should be able to help with that info. Hope that helps.

Sarah

Guest Libby1971

I think the age of your children have to be considered.

We left everything except one wooden unit, bringing only personal effects. It was tiring driving round to endless furniture shops and electrical shops but brilliant at the same time...exciting, being able to have new stuff for a new life!! It was all part of it. The girls were able to choose what their rooms would like with the stuff that they chose.

It was all delivered when we wanted. But then it depends on what you want, where you get it from and when you want it. Delivery isn't included and will cost extra and nine times out of ten you need to arrange it although the shops usually have details of someone you can use.

The downside of this was that once everything had settled down and we were in our own house, I looked round and didn't recgnise anything as mine, it didn't look like our home. Mind you, that was no bad thing. Nothing we had was worth anything (except the unit).

Looking back, would I have done anything differently? No. I would have been even more stressed if trying to work things out temporarily while the container arrived. I was able to move quickly and get what I wanted when I wanted.

Yes the money would have been handy but I didn't move to the other side of the world to make do. We had been planning the move for more than 10 years and the plan was always have new in Oz.

Guest ali@51
:biglaugh:

Having just done what!!! :SLEEP:And how did it get that wonky leg !!! :nah: only joking , thanks for the advice ............ Louise.

Well it was like this I was swinging from the lampshade and Morgan was............... No really I think that leg was doddgy when we bought it it just "sat in the hole" rather than "screwing" in and Meg came rushing in one sat jumped on the bed at that corner and the world or at least the bed moved!!!!!

I would recommend bringing all your stuff. We calculated that despite most of our furniture only being cheapish Ikea stuff, it would cost us as much to replace as it would to ship it. To be honest it was less hassle than selling and buying again this end. Also we have a lot of CDs and valuable books which are irreplaceable in my view. But in the end it's a personal decision also...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and as far as being without stuff when you arrive , there are many kind folk on PIA who will be able to lend some essentials - pots and pans, air beds, blankets - we're a friendly bunch, all you need to do is ask...:)

Dette

Guest Tracijbc

Hmmm, we only shipped personal stuff, and it took 18 bloody weeks to get from Nottingham to Adelaide. Think about the worst case scenario and how long you can go without a bed, towels, plates, cups, pans, your computer, etc etc..... You will end up buying stuff unless you rent a fully furnished place (and I mean FULLY furnished), such as OAA. We shipped our washer/dryer because it was pretty well new and I was tickled pink to see it arrive and use it this past weekend instead of spending $11 at the laundrette.

Everyone's experiences are different with regards to shipping, but I'll tell you now, I wish we had sold stuff like the PC in the UK and just bought one once we got here instead of being incommunicado for sooooo darn long once we got here (yes, I know there are public computers, but believe me, looking for work when you can only use the PC for an hour at a time in the Library is a pain in the rear).

You have to decide just how badly you need stuff, we unpacked boxes and wondered why the heck we had spent money shipping so much stuff we didn't need or have replaced since we've been here. Saying that though, our actual amount of shipping far exceeded the estimate and they didn't charge us for the extra, so we did get a pretty good deal on our square footage!!

Good luck and enjoy the journey...... :)

Guest cunnah10
We are shipping everything and like you have had to think how we are going to manage with 4 small children. We are basically taking everything apart from pots and pans as they are knackered. We are going to take a few bits ike the kids cutlery in our hand luggage. We are planning to find a rental quickly but like you will have to wait for our stuff to arrive. Sleeping wise we will buy mattresses for the kids as theirs are knackered so will be able to use them and when their beds arrive they will be used to them!! As for us my stipulation for moving was that we leave our bed here as I hate it and it is about 300 years old so we will be ok!!:biglaugh:

Furniture wise we don't have any out door furniture here so will buy that anyway and use that inside until the container arrives. You don't need to buy kettles and toasters as youcan boil water in a pan and do toast under a grill. Otherwise the only stuff we will buy is what we need to anyway that isn't coming in the container. I am just trying to find out at the moifIcan take a travel cot as part of our luggage as both Joe and Niamh are still in cots (Niamh in acot bed) so may have to buy a cot or see if any nice people on here have a travel cot we can borrow. If I can't take it as hand luggage I will be after 2!!! Niamh is 2 and a half but nowhere near ready for a bed!!

Anyway, hope that helps

Thanks Tracey

You too have your hands full!!

Given me things to think about so thanks for "your" advice!

5am at moment!Can't sleep having a cupa thought i'd switch PIA on!!!

This has been an interesting thread to read up on so thanks for whoever bumped it up. While taking quotes from removal companies a few months ago I had a quick crisis in my mind about whether to ship everything or get new when we arrive.

I tried to do some research, but there wasn't much available to me on the net for prices etc - I started an inventory, put prices next to the ones I found (IKEA good and we have a lot of IKEA furniture which seemed cheaper in Adelaide than we paid here). But after that I got stuck. Just couldnt get all the prices easily, and the idea of then getting to Adelaide, having to buy every little last thing with 3 children in tow (or being endlessly babysat by relatives) was enough to make me reconsider.

On top of that - the idea of having to get rid of everything this end (probably more trouble than buying new there) at a time we want to be visiting family and friends, organising a goodbye bash or something similar etc - nah! don't think its for us. Plus, I want to look around my new house, and see all our familiar stuff- something really important to the boys too. We told them in Feb we were planning on moving, and they have been processing it - asking if they are bringing their beds to Australia, checking we are taking their toys etcetcetc.

One idea I did come up with (this might appeal to others but actually we aren't doing it now either!) was effectively moving out of our house a fair while before we flew, shipping the stuff early, and timing it so we didnt have to wait long and could get somewhere furnished for a few weeks max. But we have a better solution now. We have a house (PILs picking up the keys today actually :) ) and we sent a round robin email to friends and family, asking if they had certain things we could BORROW (because I dont want a whole load of 2nd hand stuff we then have to dispose of ourselves when our entire house arrives from the UK). We have been kitted out amazingly with promises - even including (PILs thought of this) a computer we can connect to the internet.

So all being well, we arrive in rented house, furnished before we get there by PILs, take an entire suitcase full of toys (we have 4 x 20KG baggage allowance and am prepared to sacrifice one of them to toys!) in Sept (18th) and rest of stuff will arrive some time in Oct (shipping it end Aug).

That's the plan, anyway...

Hmmm, we only shipped personal stuff, and it took 18 bloody weeks to get from Nottingham to Adelaide. Think about the worst case scenario and how long you can go without a bed, towels, plates, cups, pans, your computer, etc etc..... You will end up buying stuff unless you rent a fully furnished place (and I mean FULLY furnished), such as OAA. We shipped our washer/dryer because it was pretty well new and I was tickled pink to see it arrive and use it this past weekend instead of spending $11 at the laundrette.

Everyone's experiences are different with regards to shipping, but I'll tell you now, I wish we had sold stuff like the PC in the UK and just bought one once we got here instead of being incommunicado for sooooo darn long once we got here (yes, I know there are public computers, but believe me, looking for work when you can only use the PC for an hour at a time in the Library is a pain in the rear).

You have to decide just how badly you need stuff, we unpacked boxes and wondered why the heck we had spent money shipping so much stuff we didn't need or have replaced since we've been here. Saying that though, our actual amount of shipping far exceeded the estimate and they didn't charge us for the extra, so we did get a pretty good deal on our square footage!!

Good luck and enjoy the journey...... :)

Now !!!......this is how some things can be misconstrude....you must have had a part container. Your goodswould have sat around until they ' fitted' a container.Thats why it took so long. This doesnt happen if you have a full container. Ours was here within 7 weeks of leaving the uk house... I would suggest bringing everything, everything and everythin:)

Hi there,

bring everything....we only brought some stuff with us and could scream with the amount of our belongings that we gave away and the financial strain it has had on us to replace everything this side.

Just to replace normal household appliances, kitchen utensils, beds and 2 cars at $8000 each we spent $44k in two weeks!!

It's frightening and the kind of stuff we bought was very similar to the stuff we left but cost heaps more!!

If I could turn back time (there's a song in there somewhere!) I would definately bring everything.

Good luck x

Guest Tracijbc
Now !!!......this is how some things can be misconstrude....you must have had a part container. Your goodswould have sat around until they ' fitted' a container.Thats why it took so long. This doesnt happen if you have a full container. Ours was here within 7 weeks of leaving the uk house... I would suggest bringing everything, everything and everythin:)

Yes, we know all of that, and as I said, everyone's experiences are different. We did have groupage, and it appears we were really unlucky with the length of time it took our stuff to arrive. Our UK shippers are now investigating as to why the stuff was left in Croydon from 17th March to the 19th May, even though there had been several containers they would have fitted before that date. I did not intend for anything to be misconstrued. Good for you that your stuff arrived so quickly, sadly we were not so lucky. :P

Traci

Hi there,

bring everything....we only brought some stuff with us and could scream with the amount of our belongings that we gave away and the financial strain it has had on us to replace everything this side.

Just to replace normal household appliances, kitchen utensils, beds and 2 cars at $8000 each we spent $44k in two weeks!!

It's frightening and the kind of stuff we bought was very similar to the stuff we left but cost heaps more!!

If I could turn back time (there's a song in there somewhere!) I would definately bring everything.

Good luck x

Never thought about that.

Can you bring your car? Does it go in the container (40ft I suppose)?

Has anyone done this, as I was thinking that I would have to get rid of my car?