Health Insurance

Guest sam2500

Guest sam2500

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could give some advice on Health Insurance?

Hoping to be granted 457 ( Temporary Long Stay ) Visa, which only includes the basic health cover with Medicare.

The Job contract only covers workplace cover for OH, but myself and 7 year old son need full Health Insurance for the duration of Temporary Visa until Permanent is granted.

Any advice anyone ?

Need to be covered for worst possible senario but at what cost??

Thanks,

Sue David Sam.:huh:

Hi Guys,

You won't need additional health cover, in fact insurance for non-residents is pretty expensive in comparison. All your emergency treatment and referrals by a doctor are free under the reciprical healthcare agreement with the UK.

When you go to see the doctor if they bulk bill it will cost you nothing, if they dont you pay the full fee and claim back the statutory fee from medicare. You may be out of pocket this way but not usually by much.

Paul.

Guest sam2500

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

Any information is most welcome especially as everything seems so confusing !

Only thing, trying to finalise the contract so that the Sponsorship can be lodged, and the employer has stated that we all need full health cover, like you said is all very expensive but don't want to take any risks either.

Thanks again,

Sue David and Sam.

I can understand why your employer would ask that, i do believe it is a requirement of their sponsorship of you that they have to support all dependants rather than the federal gov picking up the tab.

In my case it wasn't a requirement of my employment fortunately and in the main you get coverage by the agreement with the UK. Dental and optical are quite expensive thou.