White goods and electric supply

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi all

Just wondered if any of you can help me with this rather silly question? My OH is worried that if we ship the fridge, washer etc it might not be the right electrical current for use in Oz. I don't know about these "boy" things myself so thought I would ask! Is this a problem and if so - how did you get around it? After reading a number of posts on here, we have abandoned our first idea of selling up and replacing once there and now intend to ship everything apart from the kitchen sink!!

Cheers for now

Mandy

Guest caoimhe

Hi Mandy

The electrical current is the same in Oz but the plugs are different, someone has stated you need to get your electricals repluged by a qualified electrician otherwise your house insurance is void.

Someone else said they took their washing machine and it's fine but I was told our fridges would not be able to cope out here with the heat

Hope this helps a bit

Guest Aussie pat

When I moved to the UK I bought several small electrical items with me i.e. sewing machine, toaster oven, crock pot etc. and they all worked in the UK just as they did back in Australia. Only thing we had to do was change the plugs. So most things will work which ever way you ship things. Didn't bring any large white goods though.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
. Didn't bring any large white goods though.

Why not? We brought everything and it all works, even the 10 yr old fridge is still working in the heat of the undercover area, it is now the beer fridge and ice cream/lolly freezer

sarah

Guest ReadyPenny

Thanks guys. I will ship everything then and hope our American fridge freezer can cope, hate the thought of leaving it behind!!!

Mandy