time scale once visa validated

I pretty much understand the time scale with validating a visa.
      We have applied for a 175 permanent and will prob get to validate early next year!!
      At what point do you become a permanent resident?
      I guess you get dual citizenship if you want.
      How long to you have to live in OZ for before you are allowed to become a citizen.
      We will prob come back after validating but wondering at what point we need to return!

If I remember right if you have a permanent residency visa then once you validate it you have 5 years to move there permanently. Once living there for 4 years you can apply for Citizenship

I'm sure someone will confirm or deny this

This is a permanent residence visa. As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel to and enter Australia for five (5) years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you wish to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia.

(Australian Department of Immigration)

Hope that helps
      Last edited by LukeM; 14-08-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Forgot the last part!

We need to validate before 15th Jan 09, then be in Oz by March 2013.
      1st date a year from police check, 2nd date 5 years from visa received.

Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums