Why Adelaide??

Guest SA Great

Guest SA Great

OK I am starting a new thread. I would like to know the reasons why people have chosen or are choosing Adelaide to move to?

This should be interesting!!

To start everyone off, we chose it because it has a very Australian feel to it, spacious, wide roads etc, nice beaches and great weather (in the summer!!).

OK I am starting a new thread. I would like to know the reasons why people have chosen or are choosing Adelaide to move to?

To start everyone off, we chose it because it has a very Australian feel to it, spacious, wide roads etc, nice beaches and great weather (in the summer!!).

Hi

We have never been to Adelaide but chose it because

1. People who have been said it was like Britain was 20 years ago

ie safer, friendlier,

2. Houses cheaper than Sydney or Perth (so we are told)

3. Not quite as hot as up north like Brisbane

4. Not too large in population, as we live in a village, close to towns, a huge city

would be a really culture shock to us

5. Keen to have immigrants and build up an economy

Look forward to hearing what others think :jiggy:

Carole

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Apart from the fact that I didn't have enough points to live anywhere else, therefore this got me the visa...I did love it when we went on our reccie. We did Brisbane too. I liked the community feel of the Adeladian (?) suburbs. We live in a village at the moment, not a huge amount to do but there is still a good community spirit. Kids playing footie, community centre that sort of thing. We saw a lot of that when we went last July. My kids love sport and you could see it was well catered for with big floodlights for training at night etc.

I love art and they have many art festivals in the city which I'm soooooooo looking forward too. The city didn't seem daunting the way some can..we felt we knew our way around pretty quickly. Gougar street had some great restaurants.

I personally liked Adelaide hills, loved Stirling when we first drove through, thought it looked fab. But think the kids would rather be near the beach, which is understandable.

I loved the main swimming area in Adelaide. We went diving one Sunday there, amazing..would love to learn to dive properly. The facility was fab, diving boards, play area with chutes etc, water polo, two really good laned swimming pools..whole set up was magic.

I guess it all felt a bit more homely than I imagined.

Roll on the visa...although it would be a daunting thought heading out in the middle of summer, we might instantaneously combust when we leave the plane :jiggy:

That's just some of my reasons :-)

Cheers for now.. Carol Ann

Guest Drumms

For us it has to be that we have family in Adelaide. Saying that we also have family and friends in Perth, Brisbane and Sydney. We have seen and travelled quite a bit round Oz (although on the map it only looks like a tiny bit). However, we have always loved Adelaide, it feels like coming home to us. I like the fact that we will never be to far from the hills, the beach and the city centre. We like the idea of the seasons in Adelaide, and being 'close' to Melbourne.

We did love Brisbane as well, not so much the city - infact we loved most of Queensland, but found it really humid.

So firstly family, then Farmers Union Iced coffee and being able to have a little bit of everything! ;)

Guest LOOBYLOO

As in previous posts.....house prices cheaper etc and we needed state sponsorship (business visa). At Expo in Edinburgh told SA would be best option. OH went over May 2007 for reccie, hired a car and drove around. He loved Victor Harbor, so that's our starting point. He went to SA Gov offices and they advised to apply and could see no problem with sponsorship (lady he spoke to actually signed sponsorship form). We now have our visa and looking forward to our new life.

Guest milly123

We Chose It, Due to the weather, Not to populated, Afordabilitly by the beach.

And After moving to Sydney , and returning again after 8 weeks , i know i was right in the first place.

We came to Adelaide originally, because my dad was offered a job....he was also offered a job in Wogga Wogga and Townsville, which in the 70s were still vey small back water towns or in the tropics.

I came back to Adelaide, because I had grown some small roots here having been to High school and Uni here before trekking overseas and I knew it was a great place to live and bring up my kids.

I love the feeling of space, the calmness and the freshness. I love those hills, they are such a brilliant backdrop to the city and always changing.

Ok I've posted it before so apologies for repeating myself, but here's my take on the situation:

I think Adelaide's charms are slightly less obvious than those of some other cities - Sydney is the big blonde suntanned sporty type of girl, in your face and confident, Brisbane the busty, loud, party girl, always up for a good time, and Melbourne the attractive brunette with very visible charms and a reputation for shopping till she drops. Adelaide is the slightly plainer, quieter little sister, whose beauty may not hit you immediately, but once you've seen it, you notice it more and more, and if you're looking for a girl to settle down and raise a family with, she's your girl!

Diane

Ok I've posted it before so apologies for repeating myself, but here's my take on the situation:

I think Adelaide's charms are slightly less obvious than those of some other cities - Sydney is the big blonde suntanned sporty type of girl, in your face and confident, Brisbane the busty, loud, party girl, always up for a good time, and Melbourne the attractive brunette with very visible charms and a reputation for shopping till she drops. Adelaide is the slightly plainer, quieter little sister, whose beauty may not hit you immediately, but once you've seen it, you notice it more and more, and if you're looking for a girl to settle down and raise a family with, she's your girl!

Diane

Wow, that was lovely Diane, I think you've hit it the nail right on the head.:idea: Well Done You! :jiggy:

Judi xx

Guest chippie74

Hi all.We came out here to australia 3 years ago and did every main city in australia. We started off in darwin and went anti clockwise round and ended up in port douglas (cairns) every city has good points and bad points in the end its all up the you and what suits you best!! We didnt pick adelaide we crossed off other places and ended up with adelaide

Guest Rob and Clare

We chose Adelaide after a visiting Syndey, Canberra, Melbourne and Adelaide...

Sydney was too expensive to live anywhere nice, Canberra was just wierd, Melbourne i was put off by the cold even in February, and Adelaide just seemed great, Perfect weather (not to hot or to cold), great meals overlooking the torrens in the city, Glenelg, brilliant restuarants (Magill Estate, Treasury), and great pubs in the city for nights out. We knew it's what we wanted.

Looking back i wished we'd looked at Brisbane too, i don't know if we'd have moved there, but the choice would have been close. It's another great city, with warmer winters and cooler summers, but humid.

Guest salisbury massive

My brother moved here in 1994. In 2000 he had a small problem with his visa which led him to being chucked out & return to the Uk for 7 nailbiting weeks while the company he worked for did some leg work on his behalf. When he returned we promised we would come over and we did, every year starting in Adelaide and then moving on somewhere else, he would return here and we'd fly home. We were in Cairns one year and the lady who owned the apartments we were in asked us why we didn't move here, so we went home and started our application. Sent off the application in July 2003 and a month later I found out I was expecting Hayley, so we put our application on hold until she was born thinking we would be delayed by 6 - 9 months. I had Hayley on the sunday, Steve rang them on the monday and our medicals were asked for on the Wednesday. That was March & we had the Visa in May. So then to deciding where we would live, Steve was always keen on Brisbane or Cairns but I got very very cold feet and said it was Adelaide or nothing, I had missed my brother so badly I just couldn't see the point of being in the same country and being a 5 hour plane ride away. So we came to Adelaide and Steve has held it against me for the last 3 years. He'd be on a plane to Brisbane tomorrow if I said lets go. He thinks Adelaide is a backward backwater. However I love Adelaide & so do the kids, it has a quality and charm of its own which you don't get in the other big cities. Steve's main problem is jobs and salaries, he's into big construction (and I mean BIG) and you just don't get the jobs or the salaries in Adelaide like you do in Brisbane. However I think its a great place for the kids to grow up and we can move to Brisbane when they've grown up and legged it back to the UK to "find their roots" ;)

Jo

Hope i start to feel like that, Hubby sent here with work. Never been before no reccee nothing. Lived in melbourne for 6 months fell in love with the place so very hard to accept the quiet little town after shopping till i dropped. I am sure the summer will make it all Fab though.

Guest SA Great

Some great posts guys. Always interested in what makes other people tick and hopefully the responses will inspire others who have yet to arrive.

Keep 'em coming!