What if I die?

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

This was actually my OH that asked this question..."What if we get the visa and you die before we get a chance to validate it..take it we can't get to oz then?"

He's also wondering ...what if I die when we are in Oz... but I reckon he'll have to work and then apply for permanent residency after 2 years. Think once you're there it's ok.

Gosh..bit morbid but he does like to think up the stuff I don't think of :-)

Cheery eh!

TTFN... Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
You will have to leave it in your will to someone!:biglaugh: Your choice, off this site!:biglaugh:

sarah

SOOOOOOOOO who would it be!?!?!

LOL..I could never make a huge life changing decision like that. What we could do though is have say...a beer drinking contest..last one standing gets the golden ticket. :idea:

Carol Ann

Guest Richard & Amanda

I asked myself the same question, its funny being so far away from home how impending (not for ages I hope! mortality affects you).

We decided to get life insurance so at least should either of us pop off then the other doesn't have any money worries:biglaugh:.

It's been a long process, going for MORE medicals & blood tests to check we don't have any life threatening issues already.

I feel happier now its nearly all processed - though I was worried in case one of us dies before the acceptance comes through!!!!

Just need to sort the will out now and then we can forget about all this dying business!!!!:wubclub:

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hello Carol, Well the question is how much life insurance do you need ? Enough to pay off the mortgage any other loans ect , plus you will be a single parent , you need a few $ $$$$$ to allow you to stay at home and look after the kids , But is it any different now ?? the only thing is you got now , is family back up ? . anyway food for thought??

Hello Carol, Well the question is how much life insurance do you need ? Enough to pay off the mortgage any other loans ect , plus you will be a single parent , you need a few $ $$$$$ to allow you to stay at home and look after the kids , But is it any different now ?? the only thing is you got now , is family back up ? . anyway food for thought??

Pretty much all of the above really, plus kids education. There is a huge life insurance gap in the Australian market even more so than in the UK.

In the UK most people take out life insurance to cover at least the mortgage and usually have death in service benefit's of maybe 2 - 4 times salary.

Here in Australia the death in service is not usually part of the package and not many Aussie's even protect their mortgage!

In the grand scheme of things it does not cost much generally to take out life cover and here in Australia it can even be taken inside Superannuation, effectively meaning it can cost less as it is paid out of pre-tax dollars..

Andy

all very well about the insurance but what happens to the visa and the rest of the family? does that mean that we can't go? or if you there and your partner dies does that mean you have to leave the country? is traumatizing that someone could die but imagine that now you have to leave what you call home and what you build together (your dream of moving together is over) ...

Guest caoimhe
all very well about the insurance but what happens to the visa and the rest of the family? does that mean that we can't go? or if you there and your partner dies does that mean you have to leave the country? is traumatizing that someone could die but imagine that now you have to leave what you call home and what you build together (your dream of moving together is over) ...

Probably depends how long you have been there and how settled you are, I think if my O/H died within the first fews years of living there I would want and need to come back and be with my family.

I think if the main applicant died you would not be able to go unless you had already validated the visa

Can we go back to funnier threads :sad:

Guest jfa1967

Hi

I am a new member on a temp visa. I have been trying to get life Insurance but the companies I have spoken to say we cant until PR is granted. Do you know off any firms that would give us Life Insurance

rgds John

Hi

I am a new member on a temp visa. I have been trying to get life Insurance but the companies I have spoken to say we cant until PR is granted. Do you know off any firms that would give us Life Insurance

rgds John

Hi John

I have written policies for temp visa holders. Feel free to contact me and I will be happy to discuss this with you.

My contact details are part of my signature.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi we have just made the big step of transfering our pensions and sorting out life/sickness/illness/income protection cover - and what a relief that has been. Andrew (Williams) sorted it out for us, at what I think was a very reasonable cost - with little or no stress. I know the cover we have here outweighs the cover we had in the UK and cost us a lot less. Give Andrew a call - I am sure you will not be disappointed. I certainly sleep better at night knowing that if anything should happen to either one of us - we could clear our mortgage and have the breathing space (financially) to sit back and decide where our future would be (it would be a tough call), not to have the burden of the finances running out as well.

Lindsey

• 3 months later...
Guest Lulujim

Here in Australia the death in service is not usually part of the package and not many Aussie's even protect their mortgage!

In the grand scheme of things it does not cost much generally to take out life cover and here in Australia it can even be taken inside Superannuation, effectively meaning it can cost less as it is paid out of pre-tax dollars..

Andy

Hi all -

Do people cancel their life insurance policy when leaving the UK? I presume so - and take another out in Australia? We've got ours with Norwich Union. But not sure if this is right?:wacko:

Any advice welcome!

Hi Alexis

I certainly wouldn't recommend cancelling any existing insurance's just yet.

Firstly you should contact your Life Insurance provider (Norwich Union, in your case) to see if you will be covered if you move abroad. Some will still continue to cover you, others will not.

If they do not then of course you will need to look in to a new policy when you arrive in Australia as a matter of priority.

If they will still cover you then great, you may still wish to look at a comparison of the existing policy versus a new Australian policy at some point in the future though.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Guest caoimhe
Hi all -

Do people cancel their life insurance policy when leaving the UK? I presume so - and take another out in Australia? We've got ours with Norwich Union. But not sure if this is right?:wacko:

Any advice welcome!

We kept our UK life insurance. They told me as long as it was not my intention to immigrate when I took the policy and that I could pay with a UK bank account then all was fine. I left enough of our house sale money in UK account to cover 2 years of policy so I wouldn't have to worry about transfering it