We are staying in UK

Guest JennyJay

Guest JennyJay

Hi everyone just thought I would let you all know we have just come back from Oz (not Adelaide, long story) and we have realised its not for us:sad:it is a lovley place but the reality does'nt live up the exspectation for us. we have come to the conclussion that we have not got a bad life after all. Also we feel that we could not beable to live on the wages that I had been offerd at RAH and I would be the main bread winner for a while. We did found the cost of living to be exspensive.

I would just like to thank everyone for all your great advice and hope you all find happiness in Oz it is a great place, bye for now,

Jenny.

Well that's good that you have seen your current life is not so bad after all. You have had a look round and decided it's not for you, but at least you made it here for a visit. When I was in England i met sooooo many people who wished they had, were going to some day and then the few who do get on a plane. good luck, may your contentment continue.

Guest LOOBYLOO

I'm sorry it's not for you....never been to Oz myself but OH went over for reccie and loved it (his family emigrated 1966 and came back 1970). We are doing this for our boys in a hope that they have more opportunities. Good luck with your decision.

Hi everyone just thought I would let you all know we have just come back from Oz (not Adelaide, long story) and we have realised its not for us:sad:it is a lovley place but the reality does'nt live up the exspectation for us. we have come to the conclussion that we have not got a bad life after all. Also we feel that we could not beable to live on the wages that I had been offerd at RAH and I would be the main bread winner for a while. We did found the cost of living to be exspensive.

I would just like to thank everyone for all your great advice and hope you all find happiness in Oz it is a great place, bye for now,

Jenny.

Think positive, its good that you've made this decision before the expensive of emigrating over. Some people get swept up with the whole romantic idea of a new life here but find reality can be very different.

Good luck for the future,

Judi x

Guest JennyJay

Hi everyone thank you so much for you kind words, I am feeling a little deflated at the moment, all I have thought about for the last 8 months is Australia. I think that if the boys would have been younger (18 & 21) we would have given it a go but they felt it was not for them. Anyway thanks again:wubclub: take care,

Jenny.

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

You have made the right choice for you. It has taken us this move to realise what we did have in the UK, we have only been here 10 weeks and if anyone offered me a plane ticket back to the UK I would be on it.

You have made the right choice for you. It has taken us this move to realise what we did have in the UK, we have only been here 10 weeks and if anyone offered me a plane ticket back to the UK I would be on it.

Nicky - how I agree with you and I've only been here 4 days! I am beginning to look ahead now but the thought of finding my way around and looking for a job seems so daunting right now and as for the family I have left behind.... there are no words to express how I feel about that.

BUT, sitting here looking at Seacliff bay from my balcony on a beautiful sunny morning, does have its advantages!

Good luck to everyone, whatever decision they make, but the maxim, 'you never know until you try', is so true. I am really hoping that Adelaide will prove to be a positive and life enriching experience for me and Bill and I as a couple.

Cazzie

I remember that feeling well - thinking what the hell have we done and lost. 16 months on things are coming together - house, job, and money going into bank on a regular basis.

It will come together - just give it time. I promise.:jiggy:

Jenny.

Hey Jenny,

Welldone for your decision, it takes a lot of deciding to return, the ifs and buts go through your mind a bit doesnt it.

We too are finding it difficult and we were heading back for the kids to start school in Sept. we couldnt release the house and have decided to return in Jan when the lease is up.

Sods law, after making the decision I now feel more relaxed, making new friends and I feel im enjoying here more and more.

A very confused Pom I am.

Id be interested to know how you feel in a couple of months, will you please keep in touch and let me know.

Thanks a lot

Lauraxxxx:unsure:

Hi Nicky

I Promise you, It does get better.......eventually, although no-one could convince me either in the early days, but things do improve, I was threatening to go back Home on a daily basis.

Try not to think 'I'm Stuck here - I've made a mistake' just think we're here for now and give yourself a time line to reassess the whole situation.:)

Good Luck Mate............

Would be interested to hear why some people find it hard while some get through it. Is it getting work? Missing friends? Realising that it is not as low a cost of living here.

It is hard to settle at first but hope that given time things will get easier for you. The biggest thing to do is get into a routine as soon as possible. You do need the luck on your side with jobs but do try to stick with it. Sometimes you have got no choice but to take a job with less money than you had hoped or maybe travel a bit further to get to work but without $ anyone will struggle. While we have been lucky i know many struggle to get work as despite the promise of a job on high demand lists it seems to count for nothing as there always seems to be an obstacle in the way or the fact no ozzie references or knowing someone in the right place.

To those still coming over my advice ( and it is only my advice and opinion!!) is to sort out accommodation here before you arrive with a rental company or by recommendation as knowing where you will start is a big plus. Next is to contact as many agencies and employers before leaving to feel the water so to speak. You may get lucky.

When you arrive, as hard as it is sometimes to fit in, try to befriend a few ozzies, not just the expats, who can point you in right directions. We have found that although most are not suddenly going to become great friends over night if you are not afraid to ask questions and advice they really dont mind mind helping.

Be realistic about things, it is expensive to do this, it costs a fortune to get here, the money goes through your fingers like water to start with and added with the pressure of missing family and friends, getting work, starting children at school etc etc.

While we have been lucky so far, work soon after getting here, thanks to a great lady from PIA:notworthy:,Having our house here before arriving, ok its not a place in a fashionable area or close by the beach etc, it gave us a home to start with. It was never going to be our plan to stay there for ever but having roots to start with has helped and we have settled as well as possible.

Having some great days out with PIA friends:jimlad: we have made before getting here and since arriving.( wish i had enough time to meet more of you all!:() Things are going well so far.

Dont get me wrong there are days and times when i think "what the hell have we done" but each week that thought happens less and less and after 12 weeks i just wish we had done it years ago.

Stick with it the best you can. Hope that all you wish for before coming happens. Just be prepared for the hard start and try to get support of those around you including the ozzies and the great folks on PIA with help and advice. Summer is just round the corner, the sun shines more now than the rain falls, the temperature seems to be rising!:jiggy:

Guest Lulujim
Would be interested to hear why some people find it hard while some get through it. Is it getting work? Missing friends? Realising that it is not as low a cost of living here.

It is hard to settle at first but hope that given time things will get easier for you. The biggest thing to do is get into a routine as soon as possible. You do need the luck on your side with jobs but do try to stick with it. Sometimes you have got no choice but to take a job with less money than you had hoped or maybe travel a bit further to get to work but without $ anyone will struggle. While we have been lucky i know many struggle to get work as despite the promise of a job on high demand lists it seems to count for nothing as there always seems to be an obstacle in the way or the fact no ozzie references or knowing someone in the right place.

To those still coming over my advice ( and it is only my advice and opinion!!) is to sort out accommodation here before you arrive with a rental company or by recommendation as knowing where you will start is a big plus. Next is to contact as many agencies and employers before leaving to feel the water so to speak. You may get lucky.

When you arrive, as hard as it is sometimes to fit in, try to befriend a few ozzies, not just the expats, who can point you in right directions. We have found that although most are not suddenly going to become great friends over night if you are not afraid to ask questions and advice they really dont mind mind helping.

Be realistic about things, it is expensive to do this, it costs a fortune to get here, the money goes through your fingers like water to start with and added with the pressure of missing family and friends, getting work, starting children at school etc etc.

While we have been lucky so far, work soon after getting here, thanks to a great lady from PIA:notworthy:,Having our house here before arriving, ok its not a place in a fashionable area or close by the beach etc, it gave us a home to start with. It was never going to be our plan to stay there for ever but having roots to start with has helped and we have settled as well as possible.

Having some great days out with PIA friends:jimlad: we have made before getting here and since arriving.( wish i had enough time to meet more of you all!:() Things are going well so far.

Dont get me wrong there are days and times when i think "what the hell have we done" but each week that thought happens less and less and after 12 weeks i just wish we had done it years ago.

Stick with it the best you can. Hope that all you wish for before coming happens. Just be prepared for the hard start and try to get support of those around you including the ozzies and the great folks on PIA with help and advice. Summer is just round the corner, the sun shines more now than the rain falls, the temperature seems to be rising!:jiggy:

Great post! It's nice to hear that all the people are doing well also have their wobbly moments. I know that I for one, am worried about making the move - and just 'hope' it'll be ok as you never really know. I read the posts from people realsing what they had and wonder if this'll be me?? We have a really good life at the moment, and it's more for the children's futures that we're going, so I have to keep this in mind when I wobble! But it is true it's better to give it a go, than live with not knowing.

Am prepared, as much as you can be, for the struggle at first, but just hope it'll be worth it in the end!

Take care x

Nicky - how I agree with you and I've only been here 4 days! I am beginning to look ahead now but the thought of finding my way around and looking for a job seems so daunting right now and as for the family I have left behind.... there are no words to express how I feel about that.

BUT, sitting here looking at Seacliff bay from my balcony on a beautiful sunny morning, does have its advantages!

Good luck to everyone, whatever decision they make, but the maxim, 'you never know until you try', is so true. I am really hoping that Adelaide will prove to be a positive and life enriching experience for me and Bill and I as a couple.

Cazzie

Hi Cazzie, Glad to see you made it OK and are trying to be positive about things. Keep in touch, we will be in the same boat

as you in a few weeks time.

Jenny hope things work out for you, it been a hard decision to make, but you know in your heart what's best for you and your family. Good luck for the future.

Kev & Mall

Guest JennyJay
Hey Jenny,

Welldone for your decision, it takes a lot of deciding to return, the ifs and buts go through your mind a bit doesnt it.

We too are finding it difficult and we were heading back for the kids to start school in Sept. we couldnt release the house and have decided to return in Jan when the lease is up.

Sods law, after making the decision I now feel more relaxed, making new friends and I feel im enjoying here more and more.

A very confused Pom I am.

Id be interested to know how you feel in a couple of months, will you please keep in touch and let me know.

Thanks a lot

Lauraxxxx:unsure:

Hi Laura,

I don't know how long you have been there but if I was you I would give it a year , it has cost you a lot of money to emigrate, the least you can do is give it your best shot and then you will have no regrets if then you decide to come back to Uk , at least then you know in your own mind that you have given it your best. Also rember why you wanted to go to oz in the first place. If you moved to a new place in the Uk it would take you a while to settle. What ever you decide I hope it works out for you, be happy :chatterbox:

Jenny

To all the guy's who are homesick for England,

Including myself who was rushing back to get my Son in school for Sept. Im still here and with my tongue in cheek I have the notion in my head that when our lease is up in Jan 09 i'll be returning to England.

With all this in mind, I now want to stay I think this is bizzarr.

Is it the fact I know going home is an option, or the sun's come out to play, or even the fact that our lives here are now developing at long last.

The kids are okay at school here, little Atheletics is starting on Friday so that's a good social outlet, The parents at Kindy are friendly, im begining to build up lovely friendships.

OMG what do I do, I have a 12 year old who is so so so excited about returning to his friends and senior school.

And to all home sickers if you want a new friendship PM me and i'll give you my number.

Lauraxxxx:):)

Guest donna T

Laura

So pleased that you are feeling so much more positive - it is amazing how having choices can totally change the way you think. enjoy the Summer and maybe your boy will forget all about high school in the UK Good luck!

Donna x

oh my,

i just read this post.....i have those anxieties now, and i haven't even got my visa!:shocked:

i am expecting the changes; i expect it to be difficult at first, espesh as the kids are a bit ambivalent about going:goofy:....

we have friends all over the country, mostly having left our region; e-mails, phone calls...... there will be little difference on the communication front, except time zones!! social life doesn't exist here now, and the weather is too awful to play golf or tennis:)

i have contacted several rental agents, all say they wont rent to us until we arrive, so holiday let it is...........even if only for a couple of weeks!

fortunately, this forum has given me plenty of useful info; and some ideas about school etc; a bonus, and i thank you!

have a good day

jane

Guest graandjac
To all the guy's who are homesick for England,

Including myself who was rushing back to get my Son in school for Sept. Im still here and with my tongue in cheek I have the notion in my head that when our lease is up in Jan 09 i'll be returning to England.

With all this in mind, I now want to stay I think this is bizzarr.

Is it the fact I know going home is an option, or the sun's come out to play, or even the fact that our lives here are now developing at long last.

The kids are okay at school here, little Atheletics is starting on Friday so that's a good social outlet, The parents at Kindy are friendly, im begining to build up lovely friendships.

OMG what do I do, I have a 12 year old who is so so so excited about returning to his friends and senior school.

And to all home sickers if you want a new friendship PM me and i'll give you my number.

Lauraxxxx:):)

You now owe it to yourself Laura to get out there and grab Australia By the Boll**cks, if its taken a huge wobble to settle down then so be it .....really glad to see your change of thought......come on give it a go all that effort to get here.

Cheers Graham