On our way, need advice

Guest cornish Busdriver

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday. "gotta get used to say that instead of bugger off when passengers get on my bus"

Were flying out 14/11/08.:)

Need advice on which order to do things in e.g. Drivers licence, bank account, rental, utilitys, medicare and buy a car ??????.:goofy:

Still a bit scary at the moment as missus will have to go back on the 29th as she's gonna sort the house and dogs out so it will be just me for a while.

Were looking to rent to start with between the city and Aldgate as she will be working at the Calvary wakefield and i will be working out of Aldgate so any info on rentals would be great.

Matt and mandy, bilbo and kerra (westies)

first thing, rental car, next newspaper to check on rental properties, bank accounts, you have 3 months to sort out driving licence so can wait. medicare best to leave a few days for the customs systems to kick in. Tax file number important(apply on line soon as you can) as well as having an address to put on application forms. Buying a car can be done when ever you want.

Good luck

You need an address before you can a get drivers licence, medicare, register a car into your name (you have 2 weeks to do this), tax file number (you have 4 weeks to hand this in to your employer) - this is what we found as we didn't have a rental agreement nor owned a house when we arrived. It does however all fall into place and everything gets back dated to the day you arrive in the country - so don't panic!

We sent the dog to Sydney because you don't generally have to book in advance - think but could be wrong that there is a 3 month waiting period for Melbourne.

good luck

Julie

Nope, first thing when you get off the plane, go down the beach, take a really big breath and exhale. Go for a walk. You will manage this because the planes land in the morning and it will boost your spirits and blow the cobwebs away. I mean it do it before you start the hurley burley of accommodation, administration and systems. Some people feel an anticlimax after all they've been through to get here. Being on the beach is good anytime of the year. Then follow above advice by everyone else.

Guest paul_smart

Wise word Rachiegaro, and Cornish, congratulations, I've been following your threads, best of luck, I'm still in debt (tho not massive) I need SOME money to migrate so I have the awful feeling of waiting and knowing it will be maybe 2 years to go urgh. still at least I don't have to rush things eh!! :) Rachie is right go straight to Glenelg go out on the Pier to the far end without looking back, when your at the end turn around and say out loud I LIVE HERE!! if you turn right off of the pier there are some lovelly properties and the beach is both beautiful and quiet, the hard part is over, it's easy from here on in!!!! G'luck cobber!

Guest Nicky&Andy

just closing my eyes and imagining what rachiegarlo said has made me feel much better this sat morning thankyou

cornish bus driver good luck to you both for october (were similar to you, have to sale house,need to activate)

hopefully trying to sale the house and getting the visa will make everything else feel easy

do you know u can open an account with an Australian bank from here? at least 2 of the big ones let you do that, then u just have to walk into a bank there to activate the account. u can do this by mail if needed u dont have to go into London for this. at least it would be one thing less to worry ...

Nope, first thing when you get off the plane, go down the beach, take a really big breath and exhale. Go for a walk. You will manage this because the planes land in the morning and it will boost your spirits and blow the cobwebs away. I mean it do it before you start the hurley burley of accommodation, administration and systems. Some people feel an anticlimax after all they've been through to get here. Being on the beach is good anytime of the year. Then follow above advice by everyone else.

Not so sure about the beach this morning, folks. You'll get blown all the way back to the airport!

Gday. "gotta get used to say that instead of bugger off when passengers get on my bus"

Were flying out 14/11/08.:)

Need advice on which order to do things in e.g. Drivers licence, bank account, rental, utilitys, medicare and buy a car ??????.:goofy:

Still a bit scary at the moment as missus will have to go back on the 29th as she's gonna sort the house and dogs out so it will be just me for a while.

Were looking to rent to start with between the city and Aldgate as she will be working at the Calvary wakefield and i will be working out of Aldgate so any info on rentals would be great.

Matt and mandy, bilbo and kerra (westies)

No advice to give just want to say I'm glad you're getting out there at last. Good Luck:wubclub: