travel insurance one way....anybody recommend?

Guest cunnah10

Guest shanaghy2oz
Hi GUYS

Just about to book our "one way" travel insurance any advice or info?

Hi Cunnah10

We have just got ours from moneysupermarket.com £132 for 5 of us for 35 days ours is one way also just got the extra days to cover until we get a rental of our own.

Tom

Guest Aussie pat
Just got booklet from post office, it will be £26 or £32 for 4 of us, covered for 3 days.

Laura x

Hi Laura,

I've looked at the insurance offered by the post office and can't find any cover for one way travel. They only seem to offer single and multi trip insurance. A single trip is for 1 return journey. Multiple cover is for those who travel more often. Are you sure the cover you are looking at is for a one way journey? We looked into this recently and found out that ordinary travel policies from the UK will repatriate you back to the UK and not Australia. You need a special policy for migrants. You may have already checked this but thought I'd check anyway.

Guest the4hopes

Hi Aussie pat

I will check this, the lady that gave me the booklet knew what we were doing, but she may not know the proper details. I will find out tomorrow, thanks for letting me know this. Definitely don't want to be brought back here!!!!!

Laura x

Hi I think that you have to look at the small print carefully - the problem is with some insurance thats not specifically one way travel insurance is that if you were to become seriously ill enroute they would repatratiate you back to the UK when you're heading to Oz. The majority of you will be covered by medicare when you arrive - even those who have limited cover as British citizens will be covered by the reciprocal agreement. I suppose the other issue is your belongings and insuring those against loss or theft. I remember doing a search on one way travel insurance on the internet and finding a company that way (it was one that I had never heard of). It was reasonably priced, I remember, but we never had to claim!

Lindsey