Word of warning for those flying with babies.

Guest Trakki

Just thought I would warn people about flying and baby milk. Before we left I phone singapore airlines and Heathrow airport about how to carry Joe's baby milk for the flights. (Even though he is over 1, was advised to wait until we got here to put him on cows milk.) Both said that as long as took the ready made milk in cartons that were unopened this would be fine. Went thorough Departures to where they scan your hand luggage and they told me that I couldn't take the milk unless I tasted it. I said that this would then make the milk no good as it would need to be refridgerated. Also said that I only had one bottle with me so what was I supposed to do? They said that this happens all the time and that those are the rules. Well, me already being upset as I had just said goodbye to my mum and brother, started crying but this didn't work. Eventually I filled Joes bottle (then had to taste it, yuk) the rest got thrown away. I don't know what you are supposed to do if you have a young baby that has regular milk feeds. so just thought I would warn people. Maybe if you phoned the airline they would be able to store the milk refridgerated!! Joe had bottle on the first flight and cows milk on the second, now he has diarrhoea!!! Another warning, ask for the milk well in advance if you want it warmed, even if you say slightly warm they like to almost boil it!!! Give yourself time for it to cool.

Hope that helps some people

Hi Tracey,

Suggest you may have been unlucky there. We managed to get through with all our cartons, the security guy asked us to pour one carton into a bottle and turned a blind eye to the others. We also took 4 empty bottles onto the flight to save on cleaning and other problems we might have encountered (lost bags, pain in the arse AQIS or customs).

We flew with Malaysian and found they got it just right with regards to heating the milk, in fact their service overall was excellent travelling with kids.

Guest ecmiller72

interesting to read this

we fly out in 3 weeks with a 13 month yr old

currently on cows milk

does anyone know if you can buy this after security checks say in boots?

to avoid the carton issue we were thinking of reverting back to powder for a few days til we arrive

sorry to hear what happened here, sounds excessive

Hi Tracey, this sounds like a nightmare!! We are travelling in November with 3 kids aged 6, 3 and 6 month old!!!! I was thinking i might just bring a container of sma powder and ask them for the water as we go, although dont know how available that will be in the airports?? We are travelling with Malaysia so hopefully as cribber says they are a bit more supportive for kids.

Fingers crossed

Kelie

interesting to read this

we fly out in 3 weeks with a 13 month yr old

currently on cows milk

to avoid the carton issue we were thinking of reverting back to powder for a few days til we arrive

sorry to hear what happened here, sounds excessive

If your 13 month old is on cows milk you will be fine as they supply that on the plane. Singapore airlines are fab (apart from over heating the milk!!). (It was Heathrow customs that didn't allow the milk!!) Singapore airlines were really friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for you. When I spent a while walking up and down the plane and getting in their way they didn't seem to mind. The flights were much better than we thought they would be and the airline fab.

Irish Kelie, I would phone Heathrow and the airline and ask about the powder, if you do phone Heathrow, I would phone again to get another opinion to be on the safe side. The airline would have no problem supplying water (or cows milk).

HTH

Not sure about baby milk as no children myself but could be the same as a mistake I made. I thought i could get some extra things at Boots at Heathrow that I wanted to bring back (creams, liquids) filled the basket and luckily for me had a friendly bloke who took my ticket and said that if he was me he wouldn't buy it as even though I was only stopping at Singapore for a few hours they would take them off me boarding that plane. So I only bought a couple of items instead and said I'd risk those but not buy everything. Yes they did take them off me when boarding at Singapore. I was so happy the friendly man had warned me as otherwise I would have wasted more money