1 year Holiday Visa

suziewozie

Guest melbourneben

I used to be on a working holiday visa. Its not available to people over the age of 30 or who have children. You can work for upto one year but only ever spend upto 6 months with one employer. You can extend for one more year but you have to prove that youve completed 3 months seasonal work to be eligible. Bascially you have to pick fruit for 3 months.

We moved to Melbourne on a one year working holiday visa as the application is very quick (mine came through within the week), were now on a bridging visa as our working holiday visa expired and were waiting for our regional sponsored visa to be accepted. At which point we'll move to Adelaide.

I'd avoid the working holiday visa if you want to move to Aus long term as it does have quite a few restrictions as described above. Never the less theres plenty of employers that will still take you on.

hope that helps.

hi just too add to that, im on a 1 year working visa at the mo, have been looking into extending it and it seems the only way is to do 3 months agricultural work to get an extra year on the visa, eg fruit picking, tree felling and so forth. there is more info on the immigration website!

You need to be careful on renewing the one year as they watch out for visa runs! I watch Border Security - can you tell?

Looks like there are different kinds of one year holiday visas:confused:

I got a 676 tourist visa (12 months) in 2006 and was over 40 :P immigration gave me a multiple travel whereby each visit could be 12 months with no entry after a certain date. This meant that I could legally leave the month before the last date for entry and then re-enter for 12 months so left the day before to go back to UK to apply for my spousal visa. It all has to do with the wording and then I clarified as didn't want to jeopardise anything - immigration confirmed that with my 12 month tourist visa it did actually give me just under two years going offshore half way through - This was my case but really does depend on the wording when and if your 12 months is granted as they sometimes do not authorise the full 12 months and sometimes give you a way of extra! I obviously wasn't allowed to work on this visa, so think that's why age doesn't matter?!

Susan,

I presume you are asking for you mum????? The answer is you can keep applying for a 1 year Visa but you have to give quite lengthy reasons what your purpose is. You also need to show that you have enough money to support yourself while you are here.

And yes you do need to leave the country to re apply, which is why my mum went back to the UK in July.

You only have to go to NZ or Bali or as close as you can but your mum will need to get a return flight to the UK in the first place as they will not let her come in on a one way ticket.

You have to apply for this visa with your mum OUT of Autralia and on the first occasion it usually takes about 4-6 weeks. After that, when they already have the info you can usually get it turned around in 2 weeks.

Karen