Ready to post application for IELTS but...

Guest Ellie

Hi,

Just ready to post application form for IELTS test at Aston Uni for my OH but it asks if its for academic or general training. I have ticked academic automatically but now I'm not sure. I have looked both up on internet & there don't seem to be much difference between the 2. I don't want him to sit the wrong exam :confused: The test on 8th November so I need to send it off asap. Can anyone help?

Hi, I did this test but it was the general training, not the academic. Our visa application is the 475 but I'm sure all the IELTS tests are the same. I only knew which one to do as my agent told me! You should just call and check with them, I was on the phone to Manchester Uni all the time before I took mine.

Handy hint, phone up before hand and ask to be first for the speaking test, I did this (my excuse was being 8months pregnant but it worked), make something up!! Other wise you could be hanging around for another 3 hours on top of the 2 you already spend doing the other tests - nightmare.

Denise

Thank you for that Denise. Is there a difference between the 2 tests then? There must be I think I'm just being thick or it's not very clear. Thank goodness I asked before posting it off!!

You know, I dont know??? I was luckily told what to do so just did it without questioning, really dont know if there are any differences.

What I do know it is the longest most boring day, tell him to take some food with him and a good book to read, also not to fall asleep during the listening test and miss some questions out of boredom!! I nearly failed because I was day dreaming.

One thing the day does do is confirm just how much you want out of this country, I was the only one trying to get out the other 100 were trying to get in!!!!! (FROM EVERYWHERE)

Hi,

Just ready to post application form for IELTS test at Aston Uni for my OH but it asks if its for academic or general training. I have ticked academic automatically but now I'm not sure. I have looked both up on internet & there don't seem to be much difference between the 2. I don't want him to sit the wrong exam :confused: The test on 8th November so I need to send it off asap. Can anyone help?

Hi Ellie, there is a difference between the two it's the general training you should opt for. Academic is for non english speakers looking to study at university.

John

Guest The Angus Clan
Hi,

go for the general test and make sure you are familiar with the format. OH bought a practice book and cd from waterstones . You can also get practice tests online. Practice writing formal letters and brief essays ie OH had essay on whether promotion should be earned through length of service alone.

If you're a native speaker should be ok but just look at format! Good luck!

Marcia

Hiya,

Defo the general training!! The academic is much harder. My husband sat IELTS in June. We have a book somewhere I could send you (if you paid the postage?). It was really helpful and to be honest you do have to prepare. My husband was crap at English at school and couldn't write essays to save his life - he really needed the practice. Its an intensive day and you must know what to expect or it will all fall apart on the day!

My husband got a 9 (highest mark) in the end so the fortnight of practice questions every night was well worth it. PM me if you want the book!

Jo xx

hmmm, I was told to do the Academic test... And yes it was hard.

I thought you had to do Academic not the Genral

Quote from DIAC website - "applicants only need to take the general training test unless advised otherwise by a registration or licensing body".

Webpage is here - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/changes-eng-req.htm

I can't believe the academic test is hard, I'm no brain of Britain but that general was so easy it was laughable, the reason I nearly failed is because I nearly fell asleep it was that daft.

For the listening I literally had to say my name, address and talk for 2mins about where I live! The listening is for 2year olds - honestly it was so funny, no need to stress about it at all, as long as you are normal you will be fine.

Defo the general though.

I'm so glad I asked the question. I have reprinted the paperwork and it has been posted this afternoon. I was putting the poor man through the wrong test!! Phew it's so good to know you are all out there.

Hiya,

Defo the general training!! The academic is much harder. My husband sat IELTS in June. We have a book somewhere I could send you (if you paid the postage?). It was really helpful and to be honest you do have to prepare. My husband was crap at English at school and couldn't write essays to save his life - he really needed the practice. Its an intensive day and you must know what to expect or it will all fall apart on the day!

My husband got a 9 (highest mark) in the end so the fortnight of practice questions every night was well worth it. PM me if you want the book!

Jo xx

Hi

Sorry I am new to this forum and not sure if I am replying to your post correctly. If Ellie does not want you to send her the IELTS book I would be willing to pay for postage.

Thank you & sorry if I have gone about this the wrong way.

Kizzy

Hi

Sorry I am new to this forum and not sure if I am replying to your post correctly. If Ellie does not want you to send her the IELTS book I would be willing to pay for postage.

Thank you & sorry if I have gone about this the wrong way.

Kizzy

Hi kizzy,

I'll give Ellie a little while to get back to me - if not the book is yours! If you don't hear from me then I've forgotten so just send me a PM!

Thanks,

Jo xx

Hi Jo

Did Ellie get back to you on the IELTS information. If not can we please arrange postage & payment.

thanks

Kizzy

Sorry Kizzy I didn't get back to Jo. Go ahead with the book we have a friend who has been in touch who has done the same test and also has a book and we are having that. We haven't benn in touch for ages and she found me on facebook and gathered I was hoping to emigrate. There been so much going on I forgot all about letting you and Jo know.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Kizzy

Where in Oldham are you?? I'm in Mossley and from Royton

Hi

We are in Springhead area. Tried to send you an email but not sure if you got it - don't think I have the hang of this forum business yet - not used them before. We are way behind you with the process, only just appointed an agent & waiting for references back to submit to Vetass.

Sorry Kizzy I didn't get back to Jo. Go ahead with the book we have a friend who has been in touch who has done the same test and also has a book and we are having that. We haven't benn in touch for ages and she found me on facebook and gathered I was hoping to emigrate. There been so much going on I forgot all about letting you and Jo know.

Hi Ellie

Thanks for the response, we got the book from Jo, just have to study it now - how many pages its like war and peace!!!

I noticed you have a white wolf - does this happen to be your son or pet? Only querying coz we have a white wolf (siberian husky).

Hi

We are in Springhead area. Tried to send you an email but not sure if you got it - don't think I have the hang of this forum business yet - not used them before. We are way behind you with the process, only just appointed an agent & waiting for references back to submit to Vetass.

Hey Kizzy

Got your email yesterday, I will reply once I get off this site! Can't believe you are Springhead, we are Greenfield really, right next to the Royal George. Will have to met for a pint before we go!

Denise

Hi Ellie

Thanks for the response, we got the book from Jo, just have to study it now - how many pages its like war and peace!!!

I noticed you have a white wolf - does this happen to be your son or pet? Only querying coz we have a white wolf (siberian husky).

Hahaha no it's not my Son it's a white German Shepherd. Max took the test yesterday and guess what?? we never got the book! Don't panic too much though. I have started a thread called ' Max took IELTS test yesterday' I have tried to explain what he had to do. I know it may vary on each exam but it gives you an idea what they do. However he is still nervous of how he did. He didn't sleep a wink Friday night. I will put a photo in my profile of Zeus.

Hahaha no it's not my Son it's a white German Shepherd. Max took the test yesterday and guess what?? we never got the book! Don't panic too much though. I have started a thread called ' Max took IELTS test yesterday' I have tried to explain what he had to do. I know it may vary on each exam but it gives you an idea what they do. However he is still nervous of how he did. He didn't sleep a wink Friday night. I will put a photo in my profile of Zeus.

Thanks for the encouragement. I noticed Max is taking his vettass in February, I'm also a bricklayer and if I get my references submitted by 25 November (fingers crossed) will be taking mine at the same time. Where will you be taking the test? Not sure when I have to take the IELTS waiting for the agent to advise me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I noticed Max is taking his vettass in February, I'm also a bricklayer and if I get my references submitted by 25 November (fingers crossed) will be taking mine at the same time. Where will you be taking the test? Not sure when I have to take the IELTS waiting for the agent to advise me.

It will be Accrington or North London. I think Accrington closer but I'm hopeless with distance and direction. We are in Burton on Trent. We are going on the 175 visa and our agent told him to just do the IELTS test as he was 5 points short the Ielts test if he passes gets 15 points I think so well over what he needs. Getting references for the vetasses was a nightmare! Would be good if you end up at the same practical. I saw a forum on Poms in OZ about the practical. One seemed as though it was very hard which as I'm not a brickie it probably would. Gave a good description of what he had to do though. Another one basically said if you're a good brickie you will sail it!