Painting and decorating tools

ken&wendy

Calling all you painters and decorators over there - can you help with some advise please?

I'm a self-employed painter and decorator and would like to bring as many of my tools as possible. Have any of you had any difficulty with bringing anything into Australia like brushes, rollers, dustsheets etc. (I realise we can't bring any paints.) What can you bring.

Thanks for any help.

Ken

Sorry my hubby abuses the hell out of his rollers and brushes, they seem to sit around in plastic for a long time and wouldn't last long enough to worry about. Most of the paint used here is acrylic based and washes out in water. Semi gloss and full gloss enamels might be used on exterior woodwork. As for your dust sheets, if you give them a good wash so they are clean shouldn't be a problem. Quarentine is more worried about dirt that may bring in bacteria/viruses that may harm the environment. I don't think you would have any probs with your brushes or rollers either as long as they are clean. Bring your ladders too if you have them.

my OH bought over practically everything when we came, obviously apart from paint. as stated before bring over steps, ladders etc. he just ensured his tools were clean from any dirt, rust etc.

Hi there,

OH is a decorator and brought very little as he thought it would be a problem. He since has asked his dad (who is also a decorator) to send over Purdy brushes and papering equipment to him as the prices here are a lot more and the products you are used to are hard to come by. Postage for a few brushes, overalls and a papering kit was $90. So my advise bring your stuff with you and a whole lot more!

Purdy's are a fortune over here, the overalls are not what you are used to (ie bib and braces etc), you will benefit more by spending a bit more in the uk and bringing it in the container with you in the long run)

PM me if you need any more info on the Painting & decorating side of things). There are a few on here so take any advice you can get!

Cx