? Retirement Visa

Guest Claire1982

Guest Claire1982

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any info about a retirement visa?

My mum and dad are hoping to come with me and my OH, they are both in their early 50's and my dad is concerned that he will not be able to get a visa. Mum doesn't work and Dad is a Carpenter, but feels he won't have enough points!!!

Someone mentioned to him that a retirement vias may be the way to go. Does anyone have any info about this?

Thanks

:confused:

I would send Gill (Gollywobbler) a pm. If there is anyone that an throw light on this area she's the one. If you search 'parent visa' you should be able to find out quite a bit.

Pete

Hi hun,

a doctor colleague of mine has just gone on the retirement visa; apparently you need about $750,000 in the bank:shocked:; so in current terms just over 300k. Sounds a lot, espesh if you haven't got that sort of dosh; but Tony is well off, and he reckons without a mortgage, most people in his area (Gloucestershire) could easily have that amount....

If you check the DIAC website, or an agent, you might get a better idea.

I hope they get what they need.

Best

Jane

Guest moneypenny

Hello Claire,

For the Retirement Visa you need $500000 Australian Dollars to invest for a 4 yr visa in the state that will sponsor you. Plus anoth $500000 to support a life style and then at least $50000 income from a private or state pension. Main retiree has to be 55plus. The interest made on the investment can count towards income and it seems as though it is paid every six month. After 4yrs you get your initial investment back and start again for another 4yrs but it cost less the 2nd time. This is not a pathto a permanent visa. We were told by an agent that you need to be an Australian Millionaire.

What about the parent visa? Best of luck whatever happens

Moneypenny

I am afraid the old Retirement visa (subclass 410) disappeared a few years ago, and was replaced by the Investor Retirement visa, subclass 405:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/special-activity/405/index.htm

As others have said, the financial barriers are high, and as such the 405 visa is out of reach for many.

Alternatives might include a Contributory Parent visa if the balance of family test is satisfied. The child sponsoring the parent has to be "settled" - see here for commentary on this subject:

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=441

Best regards.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any info about a retirement visa?

My mum and dad are hoping to come with me and my OH, they are both in their early 50's and my dad is concerned that he will not be able to get a visa. Mum doesn't work and Dad is a Carpenter, but feels he won't have enough points!!!

Someone mentioned to him that a retirement vias may be the way to go. Does anyone have any info about this?

Thanks

:confused:

Hi Claire

If both of your parents are under 55, they would not be eligible for Investor Retirement visas anyway.

How old is Dad, please? An employer-sponsored skilled visa is not necessarily impossible for him, depending on his exact age. That is the first question.

Are you an only child? If not, how many children do your parents have between them and where do all the children live please? This includes children of previous relationships on either side.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Cunnah97
Hi Claire

If both of your parents are under 55, they would not be eligible for Investor Retirement visas anyway.

How old is Dad, please? An employer-sponsored skilled visa is not necessarily impossible for him, depending on his exact age. That is the first question.

Are you an only child? If not, how many children do your parents have between them and where do all the children live please? This includes children of previous relationships on either side.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill (from another Gill)

Things seem to change here all the time but if you can help i would appreciate it so much!

Both my parents are approaching 70 yrs old...dad pretty healthy apart from a recent operation to have a pacemaker fitted And mum on permanent morphine for severe pain relief (spinal problems) plus a diabetic...do they stand a chance getting into oz and if so what would be their best route in and at what cost?

sorry to put you on the spot but you seem to be the girl to ask!!!

Gill Cunnah

Hi Gill (from another Gill)

Things seem to change here all the time but if you can help i would appreciate it so much!

Both my parents are approaching 70 yrs old...dad pretty healthy apart from a recent operation to have a pacemaker fitted And mum on permanent morphine for severe pain relief (spinal problems) plus a diabetic...do they stand a chance getting into oz and if so what would be their best route in and at what cost?

sorry to put you on the spot but you seem to be the girl to ask!!!

Gill Cunnah

Hi Gill

How lovely to hear from you again.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2843

The link above is just so's you can easily find the stuff we discussed about your parents earlier this year.

In the end we concluded that an Investor Retirement visa probably isn't a goer for your parents (it isn't a goer for the majority of British parents because of the costs involved.)

Which really only leaves Parent migration but it is not possible to get the ball rolling on that until you have Permanent Residency since I believe that you are an only child, or one of only two and the other one is not in Oz?

With regard to health issues, one just has to wait and see what the score is when the time comes. It is a question to think about in more depth when your Parents become eligible to apply. Nothing that you have said so far sounds terribly major. My mother isn't on morphine for her back but she does have prescription-only painkillers for it and positively rattles with pills for various ailments. She is not diabetic but she makes up for that with the price of other drugs for other things!

Cheers

Gill