SIR to Permament - how many work hours?

minkyme29

Ok so I keep hearing mixed reports about this one and can't find the relevant bit on the gov website. We're on the SIR 495 visa and want to know how many hours OH (or I - if I get a job) need to have worked in order to qualify for a perm visa. I know it's full time for a minimum of 1 year but is full time 35 or 30 hours? (some people have said 35 and some 30 :goofy:) read somewhere that ideally it should be 35 but should be no less than 30? I understand that the hours can be met by having two part time jobs?

Thanks guys...

Dette :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stufi1997

I phoned the immigration department the other day in Adelaide to clarify this....it has to be 35 hours a week in an employment which is listed on the wanted list for 52 weeks. Hope this helps. Fiona

Guest norah battie

You actually can do any job as long as its 35hrs a week....no wanted list required...so if I was a teacher but couldnt get work then I could get a 35 hour week job at Hungry Jacks and still qualify.....

Guest stufi1997

I do get what you're saying....BUT the way it was explained to me is a bit more obscure. Stuart is a painter/decorator and we came over on his skills, he has a job as a painter but working as a subcontractor and doesn't always have 35 hours every week, I on the other hand have no skills but am in a 35 hour a week job as a home carer. My question to immigration was can we use my employment to satisfy the condition of full time employment....the answer was NO as I would have to be the main applicant and prove skills like at the original visa application.

So yes Stuart could get a job at Hungry Jacks for 35 hours a week and fulfil the requirement, but not me....this seems like a huge lecture and thats not my intention, it's just that I misunderstood from the begining and thought it might help others if they are in the same position.......Fiona xx

I do get what you're saying....BUT the way it was explained to me is a bit more obscure. Stuart is a painter/decorator and we came over on his skills, he has a job as a painter but working as a subcontractor and doesn't always have 35 hours every week, I on the other hand have no skills but am in a 35 hour a week job as a home carer. My question to immigration was can we use my employment to satisfy the condition of full time employment....the answer was NO as I would have to be the main applicant and prove skills like at the original visa application.

So yes Stuart could get a job at Hungry Jacks for 35 hours a week and fulfil the requirement, but not me....this seems like a huge lecture and thats not my intention, it's just that I misunderstood from the begining and thought it might help others if they are in the same position.......Fiona xx

This the 3rd time of typing this response - my computer is playing up.

If you are applying for an 887 and not the original visa applicant, it states on the application form you do not need to submit your skills assessment.

Our agent told us either can fulfill the work criteria - must be over 35 hours aweek for a year in any job.

I know lots of people in this situation.

I am starting to panic now if they've changed the rules but have looked at diac website and can't see any changes.:arghh:

This the 3rd time of typing this response - my computer is playing up.

If you are applying for an 887 and not the original visa applicant, it states on the application form you do not need to submit your skills assessment.

Our agent told us either can fulfill the work criteria - must be over 35 hours aweek for a year in any job.

I know lots of people in this situation.

I am starting to panic now if they've changed the rules but have looked at diac website and can't see any changes.:arghh:

It can be either partner, who can fulfill the work requirement. We are on the SIR and I went to the new migrant info session back in February and they made this abundantly clear. My OH is half way to completing our time and he was not the main applicant.

It can be either partner, who can fulfill the work requirement. We are on the SIR and I went to the new migrant info session back in February and they made this abundantly clear. My OH is half way to completing our time and he was not the main applicant.

Fiona is saying though that whoever is fulfilling the work requirement needs to have successfully completed a skills assessment in their chosen field.

I have read the diac website a hundred times and can't find where it says that though.

Fiona is saying though that whoever is fulfilling the work requirement needs to have successfully completed a skills assessment in their chosen field.

I have read the diac website a hundred times and can't find where it says that though.

I just had a look again at the diac site and you may both be correct:err:, if you are applying for the 887 pr visa, you could have worked in any field for 35 hours a week to qualify for it, this could be the orignal main applicant or their partner, if on the other hand you are applying for the rsms 857 pr visa it needs to be the original main applicant or if the partner applies a new skills test needs to be completed.

Looking at the two visas I think 95% of people will be going for the 887 and have no need to worry, I hope so anyway as I hope never to pick up a paint brush again and it's unlikely making coffee and washing dishes is going to make it onto the skills list.:)

Simon:)

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=1478&languageId=1&contentId=-1

Although this info is for Victoria the broad principles remain true for all states.

the visas are issued by the fed gov, the state own rules will only matter if the pr visa you are applying for requires state sponsor ship, some do but the 887 i don't think does, not 100% sure?

Simon

I just had a look again at the diac site and you may both be correct:err:, if you are applying for the 887 pr visa, you could have worked in any field for 35 hours a week to qualify for it, this could be the orignal main applicant or their partner, if on the other hand you are applying for the rsms 857 pr visa it needs to be the original main applicant or if the partner applies a new skills test needs to be completed.

Looking at the two visas I think 95% of people will be going for the 887 and have no need to worry, I hope so anyway as I hope never to pick up a paint brush again and it's unlikely making coffee and washing dishes is going to make it onto the skills list.:)

That's so funny - you made me smile for the first time today.:biglaugh:

Whats a 857 by the way?

Guest stufi1997

Hi all....my goodness that really got everyone a bit panicked, sorry didn't mean to....It doesn't matter what job YOU do Simon if you were the main applicant.....like I said you could work in Hungry Jacks for all they care as long as you, as the main applicant work for 35 hours a week for 52 weeks.....what I meant was, in our situation Stuart couldn't just become a beach bum;) and have ME (the secondary applicant) working 35 hours a week and qualify after the 52 week period, unless I had a qualified job like a baker or something. Thank goodness I don't or he might just do it.....he'd rather not pick up a paintbrush either. Any excuse..............He hasn't got the hair for a surfie though, heehee Cheers Fiona xx

Guest stufi1997
But my hubby is the secondary applicant , who is working full time for a year and his job isn't qualified.

I'm getting very confused now!

Hi Nick11,

I would phone and check with DIAC then because this was my query and they told me that we couldn't use my work hours unless my job was a qualified one, it may just be the person that I spoke to gave me misinformation :err:but he definately told me that we couldn't use my work hours for the 887 visa.

Stu is a painter on a SIR 495 visa and I am the secondary applicant (working as a home support worker). He could have any type of job he wants as long as it's 35 hours a week......:mad: Fiona

Hi Nick11,

I would phone and check with DIAC then because this was my query and they told me that we couldn't use my work hours unless my job was a qualified one, it may just be the person that I spoke to gave me misinformation :err:but he definately told me that we couldn't use my work hours for the 887 visa.

Stu is a painter on a SIR 495 visa and I am the secondary applicant (working as a home support worker). He could have any type of job he wants as long as it's 35 hours a week......:mad: Fiona

I've been looking at the diac website today and its says either can work , just as long as its over 35 hours. I've e-mailed gomatilda to find out. TBH I know a lot of people in the same boat as us. It doesn't ask for a skills assessment or a job on the sol list. Will let you know what they say.

Guest stufi1997

I totally agree with you Nick, to me it looks like that either of us could fulfil the requirement, that's why I phoned to check....I had this very same discussion with someone else who is in this position, she is a teacher (the skilled one) couldn't get a job so her husband retrained so that he would have a suitable trade to fulfil the requirement....I argued that it didn't matter what job he did and eventually phoned to check using my own case as an example and was told that i was wrong.................hope you're right though and the dude at answering the phone at DIAC is wrong...I've got his name written down somewhere so if you get a definative answer, let me know and I'll phone back to correct him and try to make sure they give out the right info in future, Good luck Fiona

I totally agree with you Nick, to me it looks like that either of us could fulfil the requirement, that's why I phoned to check....I had this very same discussion with someone else who is in this position, she is a teacher (the skilled one) couldn't get a job so her husband retrained so that he would have a suitable trade to fulfil the requirement....I argued that it didn't matter what job he did and eventually phoned to check using my own case as an example and was told that i was wrong.................hope you're right though and the dude at answering the phone at DIAC is wrong...I've got his name written down somewhere so if you get a definative answer, let me know and I'll phone back to correct him and try to make sure they give out the right info in future, Good luck Fiona

Have you got diacs phone number and I will try and ring them today!

I am watching this thread with great interest as we arrived in March 08 on a SIR 496 visa. This has the same criteria as the 495 only we are family sponsored.

The information that we were given by our agent was that the main applicant has to work 35 hours per week for 12 months out of the first two years of your visa. This can be made up of full-time employed, self-employed or part time, providing the part time jobs you have amount to 35 or more hours per week and that you have proof of this. It didn't matter if the job the main applicant undertook was not what he first came over to do.

As with Stu, OH would rather not have to pick up a brush either, but thought this was the best way to complete the visa and once we have PR, he could then look at doing something else.

I wasn't included in this rule as I was not the main applicant. The only fortunate thing is that the OH is fulfilling his side of the visa and should have fully completed the criteria come the end of March 09.

I've just rang diac and you were absolutely right Fiona. The secondary applicant can become the main applicant and work in any job just as long as they have had their skills assessed.

Fortunately hubby is a sparky by trade so I'll get the ball rolling on that.

As you say many people are not aware of this.

I've just rang diac and you were absolutely right Fiona. The secondary applicant can become the main applicant and work in any job just as long as they have had their skills assessed.

Fortunately hubby is a sparky by trade so I'll get the ball rolling on that.

As you say many people are not aware of this.

Hi,

it's not surprising people don't know about it, it does not matter how many times i read the diac web site I can't find it, its very misleading and i'm sure a some people are going to have quite a shock when they apply for PR, im the main applicant and doing 80 hours a week so should be ok, back to the dishes and then I have to grate some carrot:)

Simon

Hi,

it's not surprising people don't know about it, it does not matter how many times i read the diac web site I can't find it, its very misleading and i'm sure a some people are going to have quite a shock when they apply for PR, im the main applicant and doing 80 hours a week so should be ok, back to the dishes and then I have to grate some carrot:)

Simon

Me too - it doesn't say it anywhere.:arghh:

I've just had to tell my friend this. They've been here nearly 20 months. She is the main applicant but hubby has been working as a driver! She is pregnant and not working. God knows what they are going to do.

I'm just hoping hubby gets his skill assessment!

Its absolutely disgusting.