Recession fears

Guest vicbob

As if the decision isnt hard enough, here we are in totally depressed UK, with nothing but doom and gloom on every TV channel, wondering if we should put in our 475 visa application. Realistically we are looking at at least a year before we make the move, so we would both be giving up jobs and moving to the other side of the world in the middle of a world recession. While i dont like my job, it is a job which pays the bills, and in our current situation we are farely recession proof . What i am getting round to, eventually, is what do people in the same situation as us think, and what is the view of people already in Adelaide. Is it as bad in Aus' as they are making out over here. What is employment market going to be like in 12 months.....

As if the decision isnt hard enough, here we are in totally depressed UK, with nothing but doom and gloom on every TV channel, wondering if we should put in our 475 visa application. Realistically we are looking at at least a year before we make the move, so we would both be giving up jobs and moving to the other side of the world in the middle of a world recession. While i dont like my job, it is a job which pays the bills, and in our current situation we are farely recession proof . What i am getting round to, eventually, is what do people in the same situation as us think, and what is the view of people already in Adelaide. Is it as bad in Aus' as they are making out over here. What is employment market going to be like in 12 months.....
Will the recession get here..........who knows.things are slowing ,but to what extent will it go?????????....At the mo its nothing like a lot of places

Guest familygood

Hi

We are hoping to submit our 475 in the coming weeks once VETASSES back and SA sponsorship in the bag. I think you have to think long term. You might end up worse off financially but there is more to life than this. We have lost untold money on the sale of our house and we both have very good secure jobs but for the sake of the kids (and our own sanity!) I still firmly beleive it is worth at least trying for a better life.

But its not for everyone and we already have done this once - moved away from Bristol where my OH was a co director and I had an excellent job - packed it in went round the world (fell in love with Aus!) moved to Devon and have still managed to find excellent rented accom and even better jobs (well for me at least!) we arent as well off but we have a much better quality of life. Hoping to emulate this in Adelaide and more!!! I say go for it life is too short to be waiting for global economics to sort themselves out. We have no control over this.

Is it as bad in Aus' as they are making out over here. What is employment market going to be like in 12 months.....

Dont know what the english press is saying, ( i know the ozzies got slaughtered at Cricket in India:D) yes things have slowed here but at present not to the extent of the UK or US.

If only you could look a year into the future so no one can say. All i can say is at the moment it is nothing like the UK and at present I still feel at present Oz is better placed to ride the worst of the storm as long as China is still developing its economy. Oz relies more on the far east than it does the US. Unlike the uk which due to Govt has to sit hand in hand with the US and act as its Puppet!

Just my opinion!!!

I totally agree with 'Familygood' infact couldnt put it better myself. We are now one of the statistics whose house is worth less than our mortgage!! OUCH

We have great jobs here but are still leaving everything - house sale or not, in June 2009, we're not hanging around to see what happens in the UK, just want to start our new lives in Aus and give our kiddies something better to look forward to , even if we are broke.

I guess it depends on your reasons for going, ours mainly being the children although of course we are dying to live in Aus too.

It has never been a question to us whether we are doing the right thing so that must mean we are.

vicbob,

Making the choice to move to the other side of the world is a VERY big decision, and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. Take a step back and think about what the move would mean to you and your family, friends, relatives... Australia, and particularly SA, may be riding out the recession better than a lot of places but it shouldn't be looked upon as the paradise so many people think it is.

As Graham quite rightly pointed out, a week or two back, moving out here can turn into one of the hardest things you've ever done, without even factoring in the sheer distance from everything you've ever known. I'm seriously not trying to put you off, just making sure you've come to the decision to move out here for the right reason. Once that decison has been made, and you've come to terms with exactly what it means, then come to Oz with an open mind and you'll be welcomed by some of the nicest people I've met...in a bloody long time.

The grass isn't always greener...but it can be ;-)

J.

Hi we started our process for the 475 visa in Jan 07 (yes 07) and we are still waiting for it. We also have good jobs in Education and Food which at the moment is properbly the safest industries as people still have to eat and sent their kids to school. However, Adelaide is our adventure and we want to go. Even renting out our house if we cannot sell it. Whats the worse that can happen, you dont like Oz and come back but at least you wont have an if in your life. What if we had gone? etc Get your application in and when you eventually get it, if you want to go go and if you dont, stay put. Alot can change whilst you are waiting, both here and there.

Regards Janine

Hi we started our process for the 475 visa in Jan 07 (yes 07) and we are still waiting for it. We also have good jobs in Education and Food which at the moment is properbly the safest industries as people still have to eat and sent their kids to school. However, Adelaide is our adventure and we want to go. Even renting out our house if we cannot sell it. Whats the worse that can happen, you dont like Oz and come back but at least you wont have an if in your life. What if we had gone? etc Get your application in and when you eventually get it, if you want to go go and if you dont, stay put. Alot can change whilst you are waiting, both here and there.

Regards Janine

Hope I'm not making you repeat yourself here but why is it taking nearly 2years for your visa?? Thats the longest I have ever heard of, have you complained??

Can you shed any light?

We applied June 08 and know we are pushing it booking flights for June 09 but thought at the most we would maybe be without our visa in Aus for 2-3months, now I'm really quite worried.

Denise

Hope I'm not making you repeat yourself here but why is it taking nearly 2years for your visa?? Thats the longest I have ever heard of, have you complained??

Can you shed any light?

We applied June 08 and know we are pushing it booking flights for June 09 but thought at the most we would maybe be without our visa in Aus for 2-3months, now I'm really quite worried.

Denise

Its a long story but cutting it short I am a primary school teacher who gained qualified teacher status through the graduate teacher programme. Oz does not recognise this. So we had to break down my qualifications, work experience etc and reapply. Then our agent waited for the SA government to open up the online applications in Sept 07 and it has just gone on from there. I ring and email the agent and they say "We check your applicaton everyweek. We will let you know if there are any changes". Dont really no what else to do. Last application went in, in March 08.

We are really frustrated but because we want to emigrate we just keep grinning and bearing it. This site has been a great help. When I am low or angry I post and the fantastic people on here rally round and lift my spirits.

I bet you wish you hadnt asked now! Sorry for going on. I might write a book while i am waiting for the visa's the high's and low's of emigrating (what the agent doesn't tell you) ha ha

Regards Janine

Oh God, poor you, really looking forward to the post from you which says you have your visa!! I have everything crossed for you, don't suppose there is much more you can do but wait. I think writing a book is a great idea, I'm sure many people on here could join in with their stories.

Thank god for PIA.

Oh God, poor you, really looking forward to the post from you which says you have your visa!! I have everything crossed for you, don't suppose there is much more you can do but wait. I think writing a book is a great idea, I'm sure many people on here could join in with their stories.

Thank god for PIA.

I second that Denise. If it wasnt for PIA I would have gone mad by now. My husband use to laugh at me because I looked at PIA everyday and started a note pad. I write down any information that is given on here about cars, phones, electric suppliers etc so that when we get there (we will fingers crossed) I will have some info to go on.

If we are talking and we dont no the answers he even says now ask PIA someone will know. And... someone usually does or can send you in the right direction. Dont worry when we get our visa's you guys will be the first to know.

Janine :jiggy:

Guest brandyslad

Janine,

I can second that, this forum is great. Everyone is so helpful and positive. I have only been posting for the last month but am like you .. checking it every day:biglaugh:

Some great tips and advice to be had.